cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.2 Froyo - Will Sprint mess this up too?

Journeyman

Android 2.2 Froyo - Will Sprint mess this up too?

With   HTC rolling out Andoid 2.2 Froyo on the Nexus One, it's evident that   HTC has been working hard to improve the android experience for all of   us. Sadly, Sprint has REALLY dropped the ball with Android 2.1 and now   has a HUGE trust issue with it's users. However, I am already drooling   over some of the features in 2.2 Froyo. One of the items, supposedly   included, is a BT Activated Voice Dialer (bout time HTC). It also  has  improved memory management and a variety of changes that improve   performance (at least this is what is being reported on the Nexus One).   Now, HTC has stated that Froyo will start being made available in 2Q.   Beyond that, we have little information. However, that means 2.2 Froyo   could be available anywhere from July to October. With that said, do we   believe Sprint will learn from the mess up with 2.1 and make 2.2   available as soon as it is ready? I personally doubt it and I am   expecting to see 2.2 in late October, just in time to meet the 2Q  limit,  but not quite break into 3Q. Why? Because of some of the other  great  features in 2.2 that Sprint wont want us to have. Sprint will  waste a  HUGE amount of time making sure HTC blocks the improved  wireless hot  spot feature (that now lets you phone act as a hot spot  for up to 8  devices, unlike the 4 or 5 of the past phones). Sprint  wants to charge  more for 4G and wants to make money off their mobile  hot spot device, so  they will want the 2.2 update to come with the hot  spot feature  disabled. Personally, I think Sprint are being idiots  about this and  it's gonna cost them users and therefor money. If they  made the 4G and  hot spot functions available as standard, they could  draw in MORE users  and there by generate more profit then they do  selling the 4G services  separately. If you think about it, they get an  extra $30 if you tack on  4G services. However, if they add one  customer, at $69 a month, for  every one person who orders the $30 4G up  grade, Sprint makes twice as  much with the 4G included. This is called  a cost benefit analysis and  Sprint needs to learn how to do them.  However, because of their lack of  understanding, of simple accounting  procedures, they will continue to  sell 4G separately and block the  wireless hot spot feature (something  AT&T is using to their  advantage BIG time and Yes, Sprint, people  are willing to pay higher  costs for AT&T to get the mobile hot spot  and you could take that  away from AT&T if you made it available to  us). Because of their  want of doing these stupid things, instead of  using them in a more  sensible business fashion, I believe Sprint will  cause the same delay  issues as they did with 2.1. So, even though 2.2  Froyo is rolling out, I  don't believe that Hero users will see it any  time soon. Here is  hoping I am wrong, but not hoping too much to expect  too much.

19 REPLIES 19
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.2 Froyo - Will Sprint mess this up too?

Ok you are confused on some things in your rant. Let's clear some things up, shall we?

First, Google makes all the initial Android updates, and HTC plays a negligible part in the Nexus One, if any role at all. Also, the Nexus One update was NOT official, so even the Google phone doesn't have it completely.

Next, Sprint didn't hold the update very long at all. In fact, they were pretty speedy. Other Heroes around the world are still waiting for their update. HTC took a while, but even now it isn't very well done, which makes me think they actually rushed it to appease stupid customers who are so ignorant as to think an upgrade is easy and even owed to them when they want and how they want it.

Froyo 2.2 probably won't appear on the Hero, thanks to the Hero's limited hardware. HTC might try to shoehorn it, but let's face it, the Hero is old tech and probably could barely stand it. It can barely run 2.1 without any advanced features enabled. (without hacking at least). If froyo 2.2 does come to the Hero, don't expect too much. It would be better for Sprint and HTC to fix the 2.1 release and call it a day.

AT&T is more expensive, has crappy phones, and doesn't give you free tethering. (I guess if you use a Nexus One you can, but still, you are paying way too much.)

Sprint 4G doesn't cost extra. It sorta does, since the only 4G phone has an extra 10 dollars added on, but even then, that's not 30 dollars for 4G. Tethering will cost you if you do it through official means, that being said, there are some other apps that will allow for basic tethering that Sprint can't block.

The built in 4G tethering on the Evo supports 8 devices, so Froyo isn't even going to change that, and the Hero probably will never get tethering. Since this is about the Hero, let's keep away from 4G and Evo in this discussion.

The Hero was a great phone when it debuted, but early adopters got screwed, as happens with any device, carrier, company, etc. You learn to accept limitations when you do early adoption, or you hack. Those are your two choices. Sprint and HTC didn't owe us the 2.1 update, only basic updates to make sure all the functionality improved. We got 2.1, and that is technologically pushing the limit. Basically, be happy with your phone as is. You should buy a device based on what it can do at the time, and not based on what you think you can do with an update, that may not even work properly. I hope the Hero never gets 2.2 officially. Because 2.1 is such a mess officially, I don't think that it is in anyone's best interest to put such a large update onto this phone. If you want 2.2, get a superphone. Basic smartphones have hit their limit.

Journeyman

I am afraid it is YOU, superlink, that is confused. First it is HTC that is holding up Froyo because of the Sense UI. Second, Froyo is already rolling out this week on the nexus one. Third, google announced that Froyo WILL run on the Hero and provide anywhere from 2.5 to 5x greater function then the current 2.1. All this was announced at the I/O Developer Conference in San Francisco. Now, I don't know where your getting that the 4G is only $10 more, but walk in to any Sprint Store. The service plan for the 4G phone is $10 more, but you also have to pay another $30 a month for the 4G service as it is NOT included in the $79.99 4G phone plan (dumb as that sounds). Heck, love the big sign explaining this on the reception desk in my local Sprint store. I nearly laughed my head off and walked out on them over it. They way they announced the plan for the 4G phone is misleading as it does NOT include the actual 4G service. Now, as to tethering, your wrong about other companies charging for it as well. I currently have 15 friends on the iPhone and NONE of them pay AT&T more for the tethering. In fact, their iPhones came presetup for it.AT&T just charges more for their plans, but that has nothing to do with the tetherring. As to AT&T having crapy phones, the AT&T iPhone is still the number two selling phone on the market. Sprint's best phone falls at a lousy 5 out of ten and most of Sprint's phones did not even make it onto the current top ten sellers. Now, if your done trying to act like a Sprint spokesman and come deal in reality, I would be happy to have a conversation. Otherwise, STFU cause you don't know what your talking about,

Journeyman

You're funny, I like you! Anyways, I'm just telling you like it is from a technological perspective. As for the Hero being talked about at IO, I don't remember hearing that, but I might have missed it. I still haven't heard anything about HTC officially wanting to update the older hardware to 2.2. They did say they would be working on the newer generation (Evo, Droid Eris, Legend, Desire, etc) You could be right about the Nexus One, but last I heard, the file going around was premature. Again, don't have a Nexus One, so couldn't tell you.

I do know for a fact, however, that 4G is "$10" if you want to say that that fee is for 4G. Sprint says no, but it might as well be. The $30 is for tethering, look it up. These things were announced a while ago, and my sources are official Sprint communications, so I DO know what I'm talking about.

The iPhone on AT&T only has tethering if you hack it, I know that because I hear about it all the time from people with the newest iPhone and the newest firmware. That is because AT&T is still not allowing it. I'm pretty sure all the other carriers have a tethering plan, save T-mobile, for most phones with the capability. Sprint hasn't been allowing tethering since the everything plans debuted, so they're finally getting back into it. (I am aware that Verizon recently made tethering with the Palm Plus phones free, but they were charging for it originally. Since you brought up the iPhone tethering, you can hack a Hero even easier and get hotspot tethering. If you don't want to hack, there is a program called PDANet. It will only work on a windows computer and you have to install an app on the Hero. Its also paid, but it does the job.

I am aware that the iPhone is the second best selling phone, but have little respect for it. Also, the Hero got several awards, and when it was released, was considered one of the best alternatives to the iPhone.

I'm sorry your local Sprint store doesn't know jack, but I do know they are wrong.

From this conversation, I can tell you know little about phones, and especially their technology. 2.2 is a bigger package than 2.1 although it is faster. Speed and size are two very different things. 2.1 barely fits, and 2.2 may be just over the top. If it comes, that's great (maybe), but I wouldn't hold my breathe. I'm getting an Evo by October, so then I won't worry about it.

Thanks for the good time, and hopefully you will do your homework next time! :-P

Journeyman

Sorry to tell ya this, but Google specifically stated that the next phone on their list, after the nexus one, is the Hero.  NOt even gonna bother with Sprint and their fees cause they don't seem to be consistent with what they say anyway/ However, as to AT&T and the iPhone, I know from personal experience that the iPhone tethers without being hacked and without additional charges from AT&T. How do I know? Last month I took two friends to AT&T to help them buy their phones, took them home and helped them set them up, and I was the one who set up their tething for their laptop. Obviously, AT&T wont sell them prehacked" and I didn't hack them. Neither of my friends would be tech savy, or brave enough, to hack them and didn't have the time to do so.  I am aware that, in the past, AT&T did not allow tethering and had it locked/ However, that is definatively no longer the case. I also know plenty about cell phones. Would you like my FCC license? I am a tech for the FCC. I am aware that the hacked ROM version of 2.2 is a larger version. However, that is for the Nexus One which has other software and such needed for that phone. The base OS is about the same size as 2.1. So, with that said, it's entirely possible that the hardware on teh Hero doesn't need as much of the software side as the Nexus one and Google can get it to run. However, I don't work for Google, so I can't speak to how their making it happen. All I know is that Google did say that once they finish the roll out, for the Nexus One, they will be doing the Hero next. So, obviously the people, who write the software, know something about the ROM that we don't. As for me doing my homework, I did mine. Already pointed out where you missed in yours (Google's specific statement that the Hero was next after Nexus One and AT&T with the iPhone) so wanna talk about who needs to do more research again?

Journeyman

Hey man, calm down. This is just a casual chat. Anyways, never heard of the iPhone having tethering officially yet, but I won't deny what you saw. That's great they stopped blocking it. I just figured I would have heard about it by now. As for the Hero thing, I'm glad to hear it. I doubted it, but if Google said it, its probably going to happen. I never doubted that it could run (I am in the hacking community and they are already porting it), I just doubt that without hacking, there is going to be much storage left and though it should run faster, storage is already at a premium. Anyways, glad you know your stuff. Just don't trust Sprint stores, they seem to get a lot wrong about actual details. I'll have to look into iPhone tethering, as I said I have not heard anything about it lately except how much people still want it.

Journeyman

The space issue can be dealt with with the built in capability to install apps on SD cards that is rumored to be in 2.2

Highlighted
Journeyman

Good point. People probably won't like having even less space, but if HTC can get the update fixed up for the Hero, people will just have to put everything on the sd card, and shouldn't be a problem after that. If HTC does do this, they will probably try to get it out ASAP, but that's what they did with 2.1 and it took quite a while. Hopefully, they learned enough from the 2.1 update to have all their stuff updated in a timely fashion. Again, it won't be Sprint slowing it down, just HTC trying to make it work on outdated hardware.

Journeyman

I always find arguments like these somewhat humorous. Sprint is bad because they charge extra for tethering. At&t has charged more forever but just recently "included" tethering.

Put it this way imagine Burger King sold pop, a cheeseburger, and fries for $1 each. McDonald's only sold them as a meal for $3. Worst case scenario at burger king you're exactly the same, but if you don't want fries you don't pay for fries. Every McDonald's customer pays for fries whether they want them or not. You can't tell me McDonald's is the better company for not having the audacity to "charge extra for fries"

If sprint raised their prices $20-$30 a month and then "included" tethering there would be riots around here.

Why is google doing anything with the hero? If they are, is that a good sign (faster update) or a bad sign (so many workarounds have to be made to port it to the hero that they have to start the customization at the ground floor.)

Journeyman

HTC has said that only the phones released in 2010 will get Android 2.2.  The top 2 on HTC list are Evo and Droid Incredible.

Journeyman

The hero will not get the 2.2 update, the only reason is there is not enough memory on board to hold the o/s. The 2.2 takes less cpu cycles to run so the hero is ok there but the loaded o/s is too big for the hero.

Journeyman

I heard from a Sprint store employee that the only reason Android 2.1 was released on Sprint's Hero long after they announced it would be was because of an exclusivity contract between HTC and Verizon that said the Droid Eris gets Android 2.1 with sense UI a full month before any other carrier can release the htc version of android 2.1 to their customers.  I know that you just said that Sprint Stores are not the most reliable places to get information, but this information was confirmed by my step mom, who is a Sprint employee

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat