cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.2 Froyo - Will Sprint mess this up too?

Journeyman

Re: Android 2.2 Froyo - Will Sprint mess this up too?

w0rdOo wrote:

I heard from a Sprint store employee that the only reason Android 2.1 was released on Sprint's Hero long after they announced it would be was because of an exclusivity contract between HTC and Verizon that said the Droid Eris gets Android 2.1 with sense UI a full month before any other carrier can release the htc version of android 2.1 to their customers.  I know that you just said that Sprint Stores are not the most reliable places to get information, but this information was confirmed by my step mom, who is a Sprint employee

Well I guess Verizon and HTC messed up because Sprint got the update less than two weeks after Verizon.

The rep made that up, it's that simple. The reason it took a couple of months for the Hero/Eris to get 2.1 is that it took HTC that long to get Sense fully updated and tested.

Journeyman

Of course Sprint will mess up the 2.2 release (assuming its released for the Hero).  Why do I say this?  Simple, you call Sprint and say you have this problem or that problem and as far as Sprint is concerned you are the only one in the world having that problem so it can't be a software problem it must be a hardware issue.

If Sprint doesn't acknowledge issues then how can they fix them?

Journeyman

Don't know if it will get messed up or not. I sure hope not.

Anyway, here's a link to emulate Froyo on your own computer: http://gizmodo.com/5544988/how-to-try-android-froyo-on-your-computer.

I plan to try it and see, lol.

Journeyman

Here's a link to the phones that may or not get Froyo (frozen yogurt): http://www.pcworld.com/article/198702/android_22_upgrade_list_is_your_phone_getting_froyo.html.

The article states the following about the Hero:

• HTC Droid Eris and HTC Hero: File these two HTC handsets under the "maybe" column, too. While listing out which phones would see Android 2.2, HTC conspicuously left these two names off the list. The company also said it would most likely offer upgrades for all of its 2010-model devices -- but outside of the Droid, it made no mention of the phones that debuted in late '09.

Journeyman

Journeyman

I have to admit that I am amused by all the people who say that the Hero  can't handle 2.2 when I am watching the I/O Conference, on YouTibe, and  Google is demonstrating Froyo on what two phones? Oh yeah, the Evo and  the HERO. So much for the  "hardware limitations."  I loved watching the demos, of how much faster  the Froyo is, on the Hero and then reading all these people talking  about Hero's "hardware limitations." Sorry all, but as they say, "a  picture is worth a thousand words" and in this case it was video, not  just a still. Now, as to what HTC is saying, since Google (the makers of  the Android OS) say that they will make Froyo for the Hero and are  demonstrating it on the Hero, all your REALLY proving is that neither  Sprint nor HTC care what the customers want. It has nothing to do with  what the Hero can handle and everything to do with Sprint and HTC's poor  care of their customers. So, this leads back to the original  statement... How bad do we expect this to get screwed up this time?

Journeyman

Actually, you need to get your facts right. Google never demonstrated the Hero. The demonstrated the Nexus One running Froyo. There is no full port of Froyo running on anything but the Nexus, not even the Evo. I watched the IO event too.

Journeyman

from what i recall, the only devices that were demonstrated on were two Nexus Ones (one with Eclair and the other with Froyo) and an iPad. and nowhere during the 45min demonstration was there any mention of HTC Hero. can OP post any links as to proof of what they're claiming?

Message was edited by: tallazzFilipino310

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat