cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android OS

Highlighted
Journeyman

Android OS

When are we getting the 2.0 or 2.1 update on our phones? Does anybody know?

21 REPLIES 21
Journeyman

Re: Android OS

Hopefully next month. That was rumored anyways.

Patron

For sure it's going to be 2.1 and the sprint is saying early Quarter 2 and that's before may 15th , hopefully they will make it

Journeyman

Sprint seems to have their focus on something else http://blogs.forbes.com/velocity/2010/02/18/sprint-says-first-4g-handset-will-launch-by-summer/ and maybe this is why we can't get more resources brought to bear on our Heroes and Moments. Heaven forbid they fail on Android updates and release for nextgen handsets by dragging both beyond June and having bugs to boot.

Journeyman

sdialect31 wrote:

Sprint seems to have their focus on something else http://blogs.forbes.com/velocity/2010/02/18/sprint-says-first-4g-handset-will-launch-by-summer/ and maybe this is why we can't get more resources brought to bear on our Heroes and Moments. Heaven forbid they fail on Android updates and release for nextgen handsets by dragging both beyond June and having bugs to boot.

HTC hasn't released Android 2.1 yet on any Heroes anywhere in the world.

Furthermore, no manufacturer or provider anywhere on the entire planet has released a 2.1 update for a phone released with 1.5 or 1.6.

Sprint is not "failing" on anything, and they're not falling behind anyone.

Patron

@ johnnythan518 Thanks for making these points, which are entirely accurate, AFAIK.

The most reliable information from Sprint about release date of 2.1 for Hero is early 2nd Q; if that is reasonably interpreted to mean 1st half of 2nd Q the release shoud be befor May 15. That is the good news.

Unfortunately, HTC and Sprint appear to be engaged in a heroic effort to stuff the 2.1 OS into phones which are 1.5 capable; both corporations silence and public non committal regarding this effort indicate to me that it may be impossible or require "abridgement" of the 2.1 version for current Hero phones

But that is speculation, based on the behavior of technically agressive companies which do not have strong issues management cultures and which have not built effective product management cultures. Behavior may not be rational or be a good basis for speculation.

Remaining open questions, in my mind, are:

1. Will the update be delivered as a direct update to our Hero phones, or as a package that requires interface with a computer? I have never established more than a power connection between my Hero and my computer; they do not recognize one another in terms of data connection so it would be impossible to update the OS from a package downloaded to the computer.
  2. How do we backup data on our Hero devices, which will be lost when the 2.1 upgrade is accomplished, and then restore it after the upgrade is accomplished? This includes
    1. Directories - people & numbers, etc.
    2. Bookmarks
    3. Applications

Also, Is it true that information such as downloads which has been saved to the SD card will NOT be lost during upgrade, and that only ROM stored info will be lost?

These questions seem more relevant, and in need of attention in these discussions, than fretting about the exact date the upgrade will be available.

Message was edited by: pivonka571, to clarify it responds to johnythan518.

Journeyman

pivonka571 wrote:

Unfortunately, HTC and Sprint appear to be engaged in a heroic effort to stuff the 2.1 OS into phones which are 1.5 capable; both corporations silence and public non committal regarding this effort indicate to me that it may be impossible or require "abridgement" of the 2.1 version for current Hero phones

Remaining open questions, in my mind, are:

1. Will the update be delivered as a direct update to our Hero phones, or as a package that requires interface with a computer? I have never established more than a power connection between my Hero and my computer; they do not recognize one another in terms of data connection so it would be impossible to update the OS from a package downloaded to the computer.
  2. How do we backup data on our Hero devices, which will be lost when the 2.1 upgrade is accomplished, and then restore it after the upgrade is accomplished? This includes
    1. Directories - people & numbers, etc.
    2. Bookmarks
    3. Applications

Also, Is it true that information such as downloads which has been saved to the SD card will NOT be lost during upgrade, and that only ROM stored info will be lost?

These questions seem more relevant, and in need of attention in these discussions, than fretting about the exact date the upgrade will be available.

For your first comment....Hero is fully capable of 2.1. I have been running it for over a month with absolutely no problems (Fresh rom 2.0d from Flipz at XDA which is based on  leaked Sprint 2.1 release candidate).

For your remaining questions....

1. No one knows the answer to this one yet, could be OTA or could be pc sync based.

2. Your contacts will be saved to, and resynced from GMail ( if that is where you have them saved on your phone).

Your apps, as well as your 7 Sence screens can be backed up using an app such as Titanium backup (requires root and will resync with the

Market) and Astro file manager (does not require root). Both are free on the Market.

There is an app on the Market which will back up text messages, bookmarks, etc (though not sure of its name).

Updating using the appropriate steps should be rather easy.

Journeyman

pivonka571 wrote:

Non commital? "We will release Android 2.1 for the Hero in 1H10 and probably early 2Q10" is noncommital? That's silence?

As for the rest of your post, update details will be released when the update is released.

Journeyman

Both the Hero & the Moment have release candidates that are being tested. However, from what I've read from people who have actually installed it & are running it, there are some issues with these builds that prevent 2.1 from being rolled out. Sprint, Samsung, & HTC are working on these issues so we can have a smooth as possible update. So to all these people whining & complaining about having to wait for Android 2.1, let review some of the facts.

1. Not one phone carrier or device manufacturer anywhere in the world has yet upgraded any 1.5 or 1.6 Android device up to 2.1. None.

2. There are issues with the release candidate versions of 2.1 that were meant for the Hero & the Moment.

3. Only the Motorola Droid which was running originally Android 2.0, has been upgraded to 2.1.

4. The Moto Droid verision of 2.1 has some very serious graphics issues, that has delayed the European version of the Droid known as the Milestone from receiving the 2.1 update.

With that stated, here's my questions. Do you want them to fix these issues before it ends up on your device? Or would you rather have a buggy build that causes issues? Or do you want an update that bricks your phone completely? I understand the Hero has issues. So does the Moment. But for the vast majority of folks, both phones work just fine. May not be flawless, but they are functional. In the meantime, let's give Sprint up to it's stated deadline of the early 2nd quarter 2010. However, seeing as the European version of 2.1 has been delayed for the European Hero's, I don't think it's impossible to conclude that it might just be May or June when we get this update. Unlike the cheap Samsung Instincts, the 2.1 is very serious update. It cannot be done poorly. Let's quit whining about it & just wait until it arrives.

However, I think Sprint should give us a status update at the start of May. I don't think it's unreasonable to get a release candidates testing well or we've identified some issues that might delay the update. I do think Sprint owes people a good status update on Thursday, May 1st.

Journeyman

It's March 26th. That's 19 days to meet the time table they've repeated multiple times on this site, twitter, and facebook. Anything after that date and sprint can get ready for the inevitable sh*tstorm that will be on its way.

Patron

@jonnythan518

"Non commital? "We will release Android 2.1 for the Hero in 1H10 and probably early 2Q10" is noncommital? That's silence?"

No, as these things go that is not noncommital. But I have not seen that statement before, and was unaware that Sprint had released a statement in that form. For my future use and reference, can I have a link, or additonal information that will let me link to this statement in the place Sprint originally made it.

And thanks for the additional information and correction. I appreciate that.

Journeyman

pivonka571 wrote:

@jonnythan518

"Non commital? "We will release Android 2.1 for the Hero in 1H10 and probably early 2Q10" is noncommital? That's silence?"

No, as these things go that is not noncommital. But I have not seen that statement before, and was unaware that Sprint had released a statement in that form. For my future use and reference, can I have a link, or additonal information that will let me link to this statement in the place Sprint originally made it.

And thanks for the additional information and correction. I appreciate that.

Sprint posted it on their official Twitter feed:

http://twitter.com/sprint/status/9189584357

And it's been reposted all over every Hero-related forum over and over and over. Dozens of times to this forum alone.

Official Sprint statements:

12/17: Slight clarification on Android OS updates for the  HTC Hero & Samsung Moment. Will be updating straight to Android  2.1, not 2.0, in 1H2010.

2/16: Android update! Upgrades to 2.1 for Hero/Moment  now expected early 2Q10. Currently working through options for upgrades  w/ HTC and Samsung.

4/13: Android users: We hear you re: 2.1 update; still  on track for early Q2. Details as soon as avail. Many thanks for your  continued patience.

Message was edited by: jonnythan518

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat