cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android OS

Journeyman

Re: Android OS

Sprint is feeding us all extremely vague dates, meanwhile the more "laidback take it types" are telling everyone about how nobody has had an update besided Moto, all well and good. Please don't vanish or run out of commentary in the event that these updates get released along side the EVO. I'll be happy if a stable 2.1 hits before then but, it just doesn't look like that's going down.

Journeyman

That's not true, I downloaded Android 2.1 OS straight from sprint on April 9 and everything is working fine, including the camera. Note: I own the HTC Hero. If anyone has any questions on what supposedly doesn't work on the 2.1 OS let me know. I haven't had any issues so far.

Firmware Version: 2.1-update 1

Baseband version: 2.42.00.03.10

Kernel version: 2.6.29-d30020a8

htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

Build number: 2.20.651.1 CL 157175 test-keys

Software number: 2.20.651.1

Browser version: Webkit 3.1

PRI version: 2.10_003

PRL version: 60664

Message was edited by: chasandearl3

Journeyman

From what I've recently heard, 2.1 will be released the first week of May for Hero users. The update supposedly will be over-the-wire (pc synced) because of the limit of 9mb download capability for an update - the update is 120mb. I wouldn't want to wait hours without a phone for it to download the update anyway.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Where did you get the download, please post the link. And are you sure it was the final release or was it a beta, because I know you can download the beta of 2.1, but some features do not work.

Journeyman

cwebbs60 wrote:

Where did you get the download, please post the link. And are you sure it was the final release or was it a beta, because I know you can download the beta of 2.1, but some features do not work.

There is no link. The poster is making it up.

Journeyman

That's not an "Official Release".  Take a look at your Build number, it says TEST-KEYS.  I do believe that it should say Release- keys.

Journeyman

That was in fact a beta and the poster will not be able to install the official release until addressing some technical steps to reverse what was done by the ruu.

Journeyman

Yea idk why that guy said he got it from Sprint. The information he posted was clearly from the leaked version. That's the same information under my phone. I have 2.1 leaked version and I even know the official one is not yet released. Sprint hasn't said anything on it being released yet. So for the guy that believed him, trust me if it was released you and countless others would have it already. Now the leaked version does work nicely and actually fixes a lot of bugs. But it also has a few bugs of it's own. Nothing to complain about but still not official. And just judging from the fixes and performance the leaked version brings, I know the official one by Sprint will be even better.So expect it to be smoother, a better browser exprerience, weather animation(leaked version does this), better response when touching, etc.

Only thing I notice about the leaked version bug wise, is the leap feature will randomly stop working. Idk if anybody who is using it has this problem.

The pinch to zoom on the browser is not as good. It was when I first flashed it but not so much now.

And the clock weather widget stops showing the weather when you reach a new location so I have to update it every time it does.

That's about it that I see with my personal use. Overall the performance is a lot better even battery life.

Now how will they perform the releas? I have no idea. OTA or PC. Either one will be fairly easy. PC is just as simple as hooking your Hero or moment up and mounting it and then probably going through some simple click this and wait for it to finish type thing. That's exactly how easy and simple the leaked version is.

& pointing out that, that is his first post. Not trying to judge by post but if your first post is clearly and posting false info then your credibility is bad.

Message was edited by: NjamesB1

Journeyman

from sprint. you can expect 2.1 coming soon. i mean in weeks like:

http://androidandme.com/2010/04/news/android-2-1-upgrades-for-sprint-coming-over-the-wire/

Journeyman

Njames, please note that although the rumor you linked to is probably correct regarding a PC link-based upgrade, the dates are definitely incorrect. You will note that the date for the Samsung Moment was 4/30. Sorry, that date has come and gone. That would leave even the slowest observer to note that the information on that screen shot is very outdated.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat