cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another SMS problem! Bank of America Alerts!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Another SMS problem! Bank of America Alerts!

I just posted this as a reply to someone on the Sprint Android forum but thought I'd start it here since a lot of the Hero users are not checking that forum...

<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

This is a serious SMS PROBLEM where you have a corrupting SMS come from (usually but not alsways)

onlinebanking@alerts.bankofamerica.com

that causes any text message you receive after that one SMS, from ANYONE that does not already have their own SMS thread on you phone to get ALL the new messages from EVERYONE in ONE single thread showing as from the bank of america alert one...

This is confusing to write about but you end up with some threads that work perfectly (those from folks you had threads with before you got the alert) but, once you get the BofA alert, EVERY SMS you receive goes under the BofA thread: you get dozens of peoples names shown correctly in the thread BUT they are all mixed in together....

I posted the following in the ANDROID CENTRAL forum the other day and below is also the link to the OLD posts on Google's Android Code pages....

This is a known issue and has been known for over a YEAR but was thought to have been solved with the release of 1.5 ( seems it was but not for the Sprint/CDMA/HTC modified version of Android).. this is now affecting a LOT of Sprint Hero users but even after all the posts to HTC and everyone, nothing has been "officially" announced about it.... I did email and tweet HTC, I have called and I have written but nada as far as a response..... there is NO FIX but there IS a workaround: CANCEL the BofA alerts (and Alerts from LinkedIN if you use it) and the HARD reset the phone, reinstall everything and it will work FINE.. until you get another "corrupting" SMS..... arrgghhhhhhhh.

<<<<<<<<<<<POSTED to ANDROID CENTRAL>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have been struggling with this for two weeks now and after a bit of research I have found the OFFICIAL info about this:

This seems to have been a KNOWN issue for over a YEAR by the Google Code team!!!! Seems that when 1.6 came out it was "solved" but DEFINITELY NOT for us new Sprint HTC Hero customers.. it IS the Bank of America email/sms BUT there are other sources and it WILL come back after a hard reset if you receive another corrupting email.. maybe not from B of A if you stop the alerts but LinkedIN and others can cause it.. I have it and worked for a few days with the developers of Handcent (GREAT GUYS) but no solution to the problem yet... maybe if I rooted the phone but I don't want to do that with my new Hero.. anyway, HERE is the Code discussion and the thread seems ot point to the iea that they are no longer interested cause it is "Solved" for 1.6 which leaves us Sprint customers in the lurch.....

Issue 1233 - android - Messaging application corrupted by incoming MMS, begins merging threads, send...

my post is at the bottom ... maybe you guys would like to add a few posts AND talk to HTC about a fix OR a Hurry UP for new version....

Best,

Doug Edit/Delete Message

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: Another SMS problem! Bank of America Alerts!

PLUS one!  Mine too.

I thought it was only a one time thing, but it happened again and after reading your post about BofA alerts, it makes sense.

Journeyman

make 3... i noticed that the safepass text msg's do not work from BOA..  and it says problems with my number.

Journeyman

Hi....new Hero user too, and I adore the phone (especially after having 5 Treos...lol)  I'm glad to have found this forum because this particular bug has been driving me crazy.  I was told by the guy at the Sprint store that "there's an update being released soon"....uh...Yep....SURE there is.  Ok, so thanks for posting this.  I'll head to that android forum mentioned and whine a bit.  This bug is not acceptable...lol.

I'm a newbie here, and will look forward to learning this new (for me) system.  (Found a fix for the clock widget problem here too.)  So far, I'm absolutely thrilled with the device.

Journeyman

dgpete, I can tell you that Sprint is very much aware of this issue and working to resolve in an upcoming maintenance release.

Journeyman

izzyks, you have referred to this several times so I have to ask: Is the upcoming maintenence release coming before, after, with or instead of 2.1?

Message was edited by: izzyks

Journeyman

Not 100% sure if its going to be separate or rolled into a planned release. The point is this is a "known "issue" and currently being addressed.

For me I have no problem getting safepass text but I do have a problem getting any of text alerts from my bank of america account.

Journeyman

The point is there are so many "known bugs" and Sprint and HTC are just dragging their feet to fix the problems.

The touchpad lag problem is a known bug, resolved August 2009 http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3453  but did the fix make it into the released product of the single OTA update??? NO!

I really have my doubts that any of the problems people are complaining about will be resolved anytime soon.

HTC and Sprint's handling of the software updates/fixes for their phones is poor at best.

-TL

Journeyman

This is not only an issue on the HTC, but also on the Samsung Moment.

I tested the text messaging email address by sending a message from my Gmail account to my number @messaging.sprintpcs.com and I got it. I do not receive the Bank of America messages to my phone. I've even tried sending a test message from the BofA website and it doesn't work.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat