cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any suggestions My new Hero has no service and lots of force-closing

Journeyman

Any suggestions My new Hero has no service and lots of force-closing

I have had this phone for less then a month and last night my battery died and closed down.  I charged the phone overnight and this morning I went to power up and it says I have no service and lots of apps (original and market) have force-closing errors.  I turned it off and on a few times and now I can read my email although the browser doesn't work and the lweather ocator is picking up where I am and a few apps work.  I still have no phone service.  Any ideas?

I read somewhere else that there is a limit to how many apps you can have (although the sales guy told me the hero was capable of having 1,000+ apps)  and I counted mine and I have less then 40 and it says I have 1,719MB of SD card space avail and 27MB of internal phone storage available.  This is very frusterating and I'm thinking if I should switch back to AT&T before my 30 day trial period ends....

I'm at work so I can sit on the phone with Sprint to trouble shoot for hours so any suggestions are very welcomed!!

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: Any suggestions My new Hero has no service and lots of force-closing

If you haven't done this already... try doing a ##786 reset.  I understand you only have approx 40 apps but you might wnat to remove a few and see if this helps. There's an MR coming up in 2Q that will address this issue for all of us.
Patron

Are you by any chance using any task killers or task managers? If so, STOP and UNINSTALL them! I can guarantee you that if you uninstall them, and reboot your phone, the problems you've been having will dissapear.

If you dont use task killers, then I dont know what to tell ya...

Journeyman

I would try a hard reset if nothing else works. Also, don't use task killers. They can screw stuff up. And if you only have 27 MB left, you have some pretty big apps. Also, the 1000+ doesn't make sense. There are 30,000+ apps available, but you can't put more than maybe 100 on the limited space on the phone. Still, most people don't use more than maybe 20, so its not that big of deal. Try reseting and be careful as you install apps. I would try installing the mainstream ones in bulk, restart and make sure it works. Then load the less well-known ones one at a time and see if you get any errors. If you do, you can uninstall them right away and everything should work.

Journeyman

Thank you for your advice.  I did remove three apps and turned the power off for a minute and restarted and it seemed to work.  Most of the apps are my daughters so she'll have to do without I guess..    Regarding the task Killer.. thank you for the suggestion!  When I bought the phone the Sprint Salesman told me that was the first thing I needed to add as an app and he told me which one to use.. 

Great - so no task killer and very little apps are able to be used. What was he thinking?! 

Thank you again...

Patron

I have come to find it is not the number of applications you have however it is applications that are incompatable with the 1.5 os. I have tried it on several applications that worked after installing but not after you reboot the phone. Tunewiki is a good example. Worked perfectly on my phone then came an update for it, which I installed. After reboot no service!! I unistalled that 1 program and rebooted and got service again. I really cant fully test this until we get the 2.1 update and I can install many of these apps I have gotten the error from. I started a whole thread about it if you want to read more.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/24449

Journeyman

@hakudoshi

That exactly what I found to be true as well!

Journeyman

Thank you for the information that is most helpful and sounds like a very logical answer... Is there anyway to identify which apps are not capable with the

1.5 OS besides trial and error?    (I'm assuming all Heros are on the 1.5 OS?? Sorry I'm not to cellphone IT smart) 

Patron

No unfortunately I cannot tell what about these app's are causing the phone to do this. Only thing I can think it would be is the program was build for the newer android platforms and running it on the older OS' wont work. Kinda like trying to run a windows xp program in windows 3.11. Until we get a solid 2.1 release I cannot test that theory. I thought about rooting the phone to try it out but I am trying to have as much patience as I can for the real update. Best advice I can offer is after installing an app, reboot the phone right away and if you get no service use a program such as AppManager to remove it and then reboot again.

This is probably my biggest irritation with not recieving the update. I can deal with the lag and other issues but I want my damn programs!!!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat