cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are we losing the NFL app?

Journeyman

Re: Are we losing the NFL app?

Wireless.O.G. wrote:

In my 5 years working for Sprint, I have had 1 person ever ask me for the NASCAR app or if a phone had the app. That was 2 years ago. But daily, I set up the NFL app for people who LOVE to see the live feeds and audio. Sprint has lost their minds. If you want to dump some marketing, dump NASCAR, not NFL. If anything dump NASCAR and put more money into NFL. NFL has a broader demographic anyway. Why is it that when corporations make decisions logic is thrown out the window?

To be fair, that's exactly the problem. The NFL is a hot commodity and prices itself as such. Not all apps are created equal. Verizon paid a motherload for the rights to the information, Nascar probably doesn't cost sprint anything, because if it did, it would go away, because so few smartphone owners give a rip.

To characterize this as any sort of "Sprint must think the Nascar app is more popular" type decision is a gross oversimplification.

Journeyman

2 problems with that (roaming on Verizon), 1: It still doesn't solve my "no gameday audio" dilemma, and 2: many features of my plan don't cover roaming (read the fine print, unlimited calls to any mobile phone only covers when you are "in network", and since this is also my business phone, I make and  calls to and from other providers all the time, minimizing my "plan minute" usage is a priority).  Now I do point out that 3g service is not a particularly high priority since I got the hero, as I'm almost always near a wifi, but in my 8 years as a subscriber I have never received the top level network, but the upsides to sprint always kept me here... those upsides are getting slimmer by the day...

Journeyman

I was just mentioning you could find out if Verizon would have better coverage by seeing their roaming signal. It really sucks that there won't be any more NFL. That was probably the best of the Sprint-ware except for navigator. But I'll take Google's now anyway. It is a real bummer for you though.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I certainly do not think they think NASCAR app is more popular. But I know the NASCAR sponsorship costs BIG BUCKS. I am saying Sprint should dump NASCAR completely and put more sponsorship into NFL and win back the app.

Journeyman

Wireless.O.G. wrote:

I certainly do not think they think NASCAR app is more popular. But I know the NASCAR sponsorship costs BIG BUCKS. I am saying Sprint should dump NASCAR completely and put more sponsorship into NFL and win back the app.

I think Sprint knows better than any of us just how many people use each of those apps.

Journeyman

Wireless.O.G. wrote:

It's not a question of sponsorship. Getting a good return on advertising in Nascar or the NFL has nothing to do with it, the NFL was charging for this content, not giving it away to the company that bought the most commercials.

They were paying, or would have had to pay, $x to the NFL to have this, and it would have led to change in income $y. If $y is less than $x, it's not worth it, and it really doesn't matter how popular it is.

If you owned a bakery and your most popular item was costing you money, even after accounting for taking a loss on one item to get customers in leading to them getting other things, and another less popular item was almost pure profit, you'd get rid of the item you were losing money on. Popularity has zero to do with the profitability of an item.

Message was edited by: vita10gy

Journeyman

As for Nascar, it is a marriage since it's called, NASCAR Spint Cup.  As long as Sprint is the NASCAR namesake, Sprint customers should continue to enjoy the NASCAR commodoties.

Journeyman

Having Live NFL audio was THE major incentive for me signing with Sprint when the Instinct first came out.  If it's going away I guess I will be signing with Verizon when my contract is up.  In my opinion, this should be a contract buster!

Journeyman

I for one am VERY annoyed about the new version.  I used the NFL Mobile often and tried to access it yesterday when the draft started.  I was prompted to download the upgrade, which I did.  The new version DOES NOT WORK WITH MY PHONE!!!!  I contacted customer support only to be told that it is not compatible with my phone.  Thanks a lot for creating a new program to replace the old one, but not making it compatible with the phones that utilized the old app.  If you have a Blackberry Curve I recommend you don't upgrade and see if the old app works on your phone.  Doubt it, but the new one doesn't either.  😞

Journeyman

My daughter has the blackberry 8530 curve and it works on her's. need to talk to someone that is not about to take there mid day nap .

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat