cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attn Sprint/Htc people trying to recreate the data connection loss. This is how to do it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Attn Sprint/Htc people trying to recreate the data connection loss. This is how to do it.

From my tinkering around I have found out that using any app killer off the marketplace is in some way responsible.

But it seems that closing these certain apps are what cause the problem

* Sprint Navigation

* com.coremobility

*messages*

* settings

Sometimes its when you do all of them... sometimes just one of them.  but after testing over and over. all of these seem to kick off the data connection somehow.

Sometimes it happens immidiately .. Sometimes a little later....  who knows.  It shows the little "x" by the signal strength and then evdo just dissapears off the screen.

And also make me incapable of receiving text messages.. but yet am able to send them.  ( I believe)  I had to restart over 12 times the other day.

Leaving all of these apps open was the only time I have never had an issue.

Without a dedicated task manager that wont interfere with the data conection its very difficult to keep the phone lastting a long time when many apps have to be open.

hope this helps.  Please hurry with 1.6

Cheerio.

Message was edited by: TeamGizzy

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Patron

Re: Attn Sprint/Htc people trying to recreate the data connection loss. This is how to do it.

Omg. Thank you. I have been looking for a solution to this data issue for a while, and I hope this works. Please keep us updated.

Also, what does Android 1.6 have to do with this?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Attn Sprint/Htc people trying to recreate the data connection loss. This is how to do it.

Donut 1.6 has a built in task manager that will eliminate the need of a 3rd party app from the marketplace.

Hopefully siince its part of the core programming it might not interfere with the data connection.  Unlike the app store programs that are doing a little more closing then they should be doing.

Highlighted
Patron

Wow nice! I just read about it on the Android website. Shows battery usage meter as well, impressive. Certainly can't wait for Donut 1.6 on Hero!

Highlighted
Journeyman

The advanced task killer app doesn't appear to shut everything down like Taskiller did (the one with the red icon). It has advertising at the bottom, but so far that's its only flaw.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't know about Sprint Nav and Settings. I kill them every time I see them running. I use Task Panel X. I haven't had the data connection loss at all.

However I do get the "not receiving texts" bug if I accidentally tap the "Kill ALL background tasks" button. I haven't been able to nail down one app that causes it in my  case though.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can't get the task manager to do anything, it shows me info. How do you kill apps on this thing? I put on the music player or the camera, use them awhile hit return or home or sometimes even power off and when I switch the home screen there's the camera or the music player still live.

Can't they just give us an X or something in the corner, like PC apps have, to shut down an app when you're done with it.

Also, my calls are getting routed directly to email when I'm on the web even if nothing is downloading, shouldn't I be getting an incoming call indicator?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been using Advanced App Killer since day one and like it a lot... I typically kill everything I'm not going to use in the near term.

mlblack16 wrote:

The advanced task killer app doesn't appear to shut everything down like Taskiller did (the one with the red icon). It has advertising at the bottom, but so far that's its only flaw.

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

So, you shut down servcies and one of them turns the radio off.

And then you restart and it comes back.

Color me obvious, but don't do that.

No wonder we weren't finding it - didn't think to kill the radio task.

OK, how can I phrase this bug so it doesn't get me laughed off the call:

"User kills radio task, radio stops working".  Hm.  Nope.

Seriously - what's the ask here?  Sounds like the core ask is for a real task manager that leaves critical services alone, while allowing you to shut down unneeded apps.  Like is in Donut.  Which is coming.

Is there more to it?  During normal (non-gerfingerpokin-task-killin) use, does the radio just shut off?

I'd seriously like to help, but at this point I don't have enough to take back to Product and HTC.

Thanks,

Will

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Master

I ended up getting rid of both TasKiller and Task Manager because they kept shutting things off that were needed, like the CDMA radio...

I am using Advanced Task Manager and have put what appears to be required and most used tasks from my totally uneducated guessing in the exclude list.

In my Exclude list currently:

HtcIQAgent

Sprint Updater

Google Partner Setup

Mail

IQRD

Gmail

providers.htccdma

Touch Input

app.vnotes

OMADM

I don't have any data connection issues when it kills all other tasks. When Gmail and Mail weren't in the exclude list email notifications were intermittent so they are there now.

IQRD seems to cause the CDMA radio to stop functioning until it restarts itself. It also stops the EVDO from functioning from that point forward.

Hopefully that helps you Will.

Highlighted

Fancy.  thanks.  The QR code for that app is:

http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=100x100&chl=market://search?q=pname:com.arron.taskManager

And it sounds like it'd be helpful to get a list of apps that should never be killed, eh?

Highlighted

I set up that app and cleared out the 'cruft'.  Suprising how much quicker the dialer, other things respond now.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat