cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio / Static issue with phone calls

Highlighted
Journeyman

Audio / Static issue with phone calls

I posted this on the HTC.com site as well as this one, but here it is.....

I would like to start off by saying that I have not had near the  issues that most people on this site, so I should feel lucky I guess.   That being said, I am currently on my third Sprint HTC Hero.  The first  collected dust behind the screen, the second (I believed was  refurbished) had no dust but had a problem when making phone calls,  Third was brand new and still same static issue.  If I talk at the same  time as another person (or even background noise) all I hear is static  (on a digital network how is that possible?).  Sprint wouldnt touch it  until the 2.1 upgrade came out since it may fix the issue.  I upgraded  to 2.1 and had no problems other than the static issue.  At first i  thought it was only when people called me, but it also happens when i  call people, but maybe not as bad.  Also doesnt matter if its Sprint to  Sprint, or another carrier or land line.  They all do the same thing.   Sprint told me all the Hero's do it including his, he just never noticed  it before.  I could have sworn my first one didnt do it but cant  remember for sure.  I have googled it and searched every forum I can  find and I dont see anyone else with this problem.  I have heard of an  "audio issue" but nothing explains what the problem exactly is.

Does anyone else have a static problem when talking to anyone on the  phone?  This thing should be a phone first and PC/toy second.

UPDATE Phone #4

Guy at the Sprint store told me that it is probably not a hardware  issue since my past 3 phones all had the same issues.  They are  upgrading to 4G from 3G in the area (St. Charles, MO near St. Louis).  They also say that this has happened to the Palm Pre or Pixi and maybe the Moment as well.   So  it is probably a network problem and to call customer care again,  because they cannot help me.  I called customer care and they said no  way can it be a network issue and the towers have been up (or whatever)  99%.  I think this is becoming more of a sprint issue now, but still  want to know if anyone anywhere in the world has had or heard of this  problem?

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: Audio / Static issue with phone calls

I am experiencing the same issue with static on all phone calls, some more than others.  I did not have any problems until I upgraded to 2.1, now this phone is working like a piece of shit!!!

1.  I have to reboot everyday

2.  I have wait anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds after hitting the call button before the call initiates (which usually leads to multiple presses and multiple calls).

3.  I get can't find network errors.

4. Application switching is painfully slow.

5. All apps are loading slowly, or running slowly.

I now really HATE this phone.

Journeyman

I have also tried to use a Bluetooth ear piece.  I still have the same static issue

Journeyman

I actually had these same problems before AND after the 2.1 update. I think I'm in denial because it's just turning out that this phone is a really poor piece of equipment.  My local Best Buy even dropped the price for it to FREE if you have a contract extension or agree to a 2-yr contract.  My girlfriend returned her HTC Evo because she had similar problems with phone calls and ring lag (what a surprise, same manufacturer, different phone, same problems). I'm stuck with this phone till I get my gratuitous equipment discount again. Till then, it's Force Close Infinitum for me and my Hero. I don't even bother putting on the neoprene protective case on my Hero since I'm always doing soft resets and pulling out the battery. And nope, going on my 3rd Hero and doing hard resets didn't help.  Fail.

Journeyman

I've been having the same static issue for a couple of months on my Touch Pro2. Had it swapped for a new unit with same problem. CS says it may be due to the recent WM 6.5 upgrade. They said they could swap it out for a Hero. I said no thanks, but I would accept an Evo. Well, they couldn't do that I guess, but I did get a $45 credit on my next bill for the annoyance factor.

Journeyman

Just tried my 5th phone, which immediately after activating made a call, same problem, and switched back to my previous phone...all while in the Sprint store.  The network team says its a device problem and everyone else says its a network problem.  I have friends with Hero's in my area that dont have this problem.  I also asked for a EVO and apparently they have an "agreement/contract" with HTC about not offering the EVO as an upgrade, so Sprint offered me a Moment (bulky, no HTC sense, and has a keyboard) or a Blackberry (not an android).   I also asked if we could test out activating a Moment just to see if it made the same noises or not, but no they couldnt do that and they dont offer loaner phones.  A $40 credit would be nice (which they gave me) but I better see this credit every month until the problem goes away...plus the past 4 months or whatever I have already dealt with this problem.

Journeyman

Last update....

After going through 5  or 6 HTC Heros, a Blackberry and an old Samsung (m610), that i know did not  have the problem 4 years ago but now does, I left Sprint for ATT and got  an iPhone.  I would say that it has to be the network itself since it  happened on all devices. I called customer care and got there network  support, and they checked all the towers in my area and said everything  was fine, it must be a device issue.  I just kept getting the run around  so I left.  I have a feeling it has something to do with upgrading the  towers to 4G

My post above states they gave me a discount, which they didnt, it was some other billing error.  I did get out of my contract and no ETF since I had so much trouble and they could not resolve my issues.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat