cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEST keyboard choice on hero for fat fingers. It's standard on Hero!

Journeyman

BEST keyboard choice on hero for fat fingers. It's standard on Hero!

I was going through the update on my wife's hero.  I noticed a little gear in the lower left corner of the keyboard when in portrait mode.

I had noticed it before but didn't really have time to "play".  This time I opened it and saw the choice of a "compact qwerty" option.  I thought " I already have too much trouble with keyboard accuracy don't want to make it smaller!"  Last night I decided to check it out any way and low and behold it's actually the opposite of it's name.  I didn't do a pixel count but I think the actual qwerty is actually about the same size as normal.  The important part is like the blackberry pearl each key is assigned 2 characters not one doubling the amount of space that my fat fingers can hit thus cutting errors by more than half!

With the t9 activated (not all apps can use the t9 though) it automatically figures which of the 2 options on that key is most likely.  This may make me happy enough with the hero to go back to it due to the poor (so far almost nonexistant) gps on the moment I had exchanged it for.

This option is not available on the moment, which means it must be part of the sense UI.   Great work htc, lousy job of letting people know about it. Change the name to large key instead of compact qwerty!

3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

Re: BEST keyboard choice on hero for fat fingers. It's standard on Hero!

Thought the same thing. Will have to check it out. Thanks for sharing.

Journeyman

Just FYI, you can install "better keyboard" on the Moment, as well as several other T9 style keyboards.  There are a bunch of them available for free on the market.  (I had an old blackberry 4 years ago with the T9 style keyboard and I hated it, but then again I usually using my phone to type more technical emails than just a "chit chat" so that may have definitely clouded my judgement.  Also, living in Iowa the key presses for IA and US are exactly the same, and the phone would always pick "us".  I do, however, agree with you that the virutal keyboard on the Hero is nicer than the one supplied with the Moment.

Journeyman

this is pretty cool.  I don't mind virtual keyboards because I like a slim device, but the portrait mode was too small for someone to casually type something.  You have to pay too much attention.

I tried the compact thinking that it would be hard for the keyboard to predict what I wanted to say properly and to my surprise, it's pretty good. I think I'll keep it. Especially since when I go to landscape mode I get the full keyboard back.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat