cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Drain...Fixed for me

Highlighted
Journeyman

Battery Drain...Fixed for me

Will or Sarah, I found a setting for WiFi sleep policy and my phone was set to sleep WiFi "when screen turns off". The options are; when screen turns off, never when plugged in or never. I changed mine to never and now my battery doesn't drain.

I was thinking that I had WiFi issues because every time I turn my phone on from sleep, EV is on and not WiFi. But it changes to WiFi in a second after I wake up the phone. I'm guessing it is this policy that shuts down WiFi and therefore activates EV when I turn off my screen and that is causing my battery drain.

Just sitting for a few hours doing not much of anything except getting a few mails, texts and peep tweets would drain my battery significantly (almost half). Now, those same activities hardly make the battery indicator move off of full after 7 hours.

Is the "Never" setting bad for my phone? It seems to transition back and forth between WiFi and EV as I come and go out of a WiFi zone just fine.

Also like to note that my phone is showing 81%  Awake time, even though the screen is off most of the time and my battery still does NOT drain like it did with the sleep policy set to "when screen turns off".

Any feedback on this would be appreciated. I couldn't find any information on WiFi sleep policy in my user manual.

16 REPLIES 16
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Battery Drain...Fixed for me

That's odd.  You'd think that by turning WiFi off when the phone is dark, you'd get better battery life.

No clue, sorry.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Re: Battery Drain...Fixed for me

wengla02 wrote:

That's odd.  You'd think that by turning WiFi off when the phone is dark, you'd get better battery life.

No clue, sorry.

Thanks for the reply.

My guess is that when WiFi goes to sleep EV automatically turns on. And active EV is a huge battery drain when the phone is idle. Just a guess though, that's why I was looking to you...

Also, is it "bad" for my phone to have it set to never?  I don't want to harm anything.

Message was edited by: jturnbow

Journeyman

Re: Battery Drain...Fixed for me

Good find.

I was having the battery problem when I got the phone, but switching to Hancent dropped my awake time to 30-40%.  Now, after doing this, my awake time is down to 6%. I agree with you that EV is a huge battery drain especially if you're in an area where your signal strength is poor.  Where I work, I get a pretty bad signal and my battery would drain just being idle (no calls/text/web).  I've have my phone unplugged for 6 hours today at work and with a couple of calls and some browsing on the market (via mobile data), my battery bar is still at 100%.  I haven't seen any negative effects by doing this (did it yesterday afternoon), but I have definitely noticed a much "zippy-er" experience.  I don't know if this is because of the wifi never sleeping, but there's no lag anymore when going from lock screen to unlock pattern to home and then moving around on the screens (with widgets on each).  Prior to doing this fix, the lock screen wouldn't register the first swipe most of the time and I used to have to wait a couple of seconds before putting in my unlock pattern because it would never register the first touch.  Not anymore.  Also, moving through the menus and options have never been faster.  Thanks!

I'll check back in if I start to have any negative issues, but I think anyone who's experiencing battery drain or major lag, especially with the Sense UI, to try this.

Journeyman

Re: Battery Drain...Fixed for me

ok... where are you guys finding this setting?  I've been looking for it for 15 mins and can't find it...

Journeyman

Re: Battery Drain...Fixed for me

Settings->Wireless Controls->WiFi Settings... then press Menu -> Advanced

Journeyman

Re: Battery Drain...Fixed for me

Ah, the dreaded go to the logical place and then press the menu key!  My only weakness!

Danke!

Journeyman

Re: Battery Drain...Fixed for me

ArchwayPhotography wrote:

Ah, the dreaded go to the logical place and then press the menu key!  My only weakness!

Danke!

LOL!

Yeah that was my weakness when I first got the phone...now I'm a menu hitting fool.

Let us know if that helps your battery drain.

Journeyman

Re: Battery Drain...Fixed for me

go to

settings

wireless controls

WiFi settings

Hit the menu key

Select advanced

Wi Fi sleep policy

Hope that helps; i just did it on mine so we shall see 

Journeyman

Re: Battery Drain...Fixed for me

jturnbow wrote:

ArchwayPhotography wrote:

Ah, the dreaded go to the logical place and then press the menu key!  My only weakness!

Danke!

LOL!

Yeah that was my weakness when I first got the phone...now I'm a menu hitting fool.

Let us know if that helps your battery drain.

I'm also curious if anyone else is noticing a speed boost while navigating the phone like I am.  I really notice it when I unlock the phone, swiping through the home screens, going into apps and browsing the menus.  Opening the phone pad still has a little lag, but I'm guessing that's due to the loading of all the contacts.  Post back if you notice anything.

Journeyman

Re: Battery Drain...Fixed for me

advance wrote:

jturnbow wrote:

ArchwayPhotography wrote:

Ah, the dreaded go to the logical place and then press the menu key!  My only weakness!

Danke!

LOL!

Yeah that was my weakness when I first got the phone...now I'm a menu hitting fool.

Let us know if that helps your battery drain.

I'm also curious if anyone else is noticing a speed boost while navigating the phone like I am.  I really notice it when I unlock the phone, swiping through the home screens, going into apps and browsing the menus.  Opening the phone pad still has a little lag, but I'm guessing that's due to the loading of all the contacts.  Post back if you notice anything.

I didn't have any of the lag issues to begin with, so this didn't fix anything for me. But on my previous Hero I did have very bad lag and this did "NOT" seem to help. That's one of the reasons I took it back and exchanged it.

Patron

Re: Battery Drain...Fixed for me

So let me get this straight. With "Never" selected under Wi-Fi Policy, the phone will always stay connected to wi-fi, and will only switch to EV when wi-fi becomes unavailable?

I have set my phone to "Never" and will keep an eye out for both battery drain and speed improvements. Although I don't see why or how the phone's speed can be improved when it's just connected to EV with no wi-fi networks around (which is the case majority of the time, no?)...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat