cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before you think about returning your Hero...

Journeyman

Before you think about returning your Hero...

I have read where Hero users are considering returning their Hero's because of lag,  Before you do, I suggest you try disabling the HTC Sense UI and just running the normal Android Home UI.  It takes much less memory, less processor cycles and less battery.  Keep in mind, the Sense UI is eye candy pure and simple.  Home UI isn't as sexy, but it sure gets the job done.  You will still have an awesome multi-touch screen, multi-tasking, GPS/WiFi enabled phone with a butt load of apps at your finger tips.  I had the Instinct since it's inception and I would never think about going back to it, or any other current Sprint phone.  In my opinion, the HTC Hero with Sense disabled is the best phone on the market today.  If you like a physical keyboard and don't mind a thicker phone, then you shouldn't have bought the Hero in the first place.  You should have waited for the Moment.  I just like a slim form factor and really like the virtual keyboard on the Hero.

Here are the steps to disable and re-enable Sense UI:

1. From the Homescreen press [Menu] and select [Settings]
  2. Select [Applications]->[Manage Applications]
  3. Scroll down and select HTC Sense
  4. Once the application info loads, scroll down and tap the [Clear Defaults] button. You may also want to tap [Force Stop] to ensure it closes.
  5. Press the home key and you will be given the option of using [Home] or [Sense]. You should select [Use by Default...] and  tap [Home].
  6. If you want to switch back, the process is very similar, except you select the [Home] app at stage 3 and select [Sense] in stage 5.

Good luck and enjoy your now faster Hero.

33 REPLIES 33
Journeyman

Re: Before you think about returning your Hero...

You might call this non-"sense", but my "sense"less Hero now screams.

Journeyman

Just did this, works nice.  I miss a few of the widgets, but certainly not a deal killer.  I like only have 3 panes instead of 7 panes where 3-4 are empty anyways.  On a reboot i have to make sure to kill all of the auto-starting HTC apps, but, beyond that it works ok.

Journeyman

How do you entirely disable SenseUI?

Journeyman

Matrix, did you not read the start of this thread?  I listed the steps above.  Good luck!

Journeyman

How embarrassing, I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize I hadn't scrolled to the top of the page! Sorry.

Journeyman

When I use TaskPanel to see how much available memory i have after disabling Sense UI, it tells me that I have over 100MB free.  No wonder it flies now.

Journeyman

Interesting. With everything disabled, and all background apps terminated, I only have 80MB. TaskPanel now shows nothing running at all. Did you reboot or something to get that high amount of free RAM?

Journeyman

Yes, I did reboot.

Journeyman

I rebooted, a huuuuuge amount of programs came up, I killed them all, and now I have 114MB free.

Wow, HTC's crap really takes up a lot of memory, and inevitably CPU power. Probably battery power too...

Patron

If you disable Sense UI - does it prevent Peep from auto loading everytime?

Journeyman

Just tried it... Now side by side with my other hero running Sense. The one with Sense has 64mb left and the one running "home" has 74mb left. Not much difference in drag. Had to download apps for Wi-Fi/BT/GPS toggle for the "home" running Hero. I am also missing the alarm clock widget and there is only an analog clock widget for home. I added the clock shortcut to get to the alarm function. You also have to add the "phone" short cut to get to your phone, where sense has it at the bottom. Overall I like the HTC widgets vs. the stock android ones. I had to also add the weather channel widget which is pretty ugly. Now if there is a way to add the HTC widgets to home then we would be set!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat