cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Update Friday May 7th (is a false Rumor)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Best Buy Update Friday May 7th (is a false Rumor)

I got annoyed at all these post about Best Buy on May 7th and I've called several Best Buy and none of the knew what I was talking about.

So, if any posters got a confirmation please post the store you called and the persons name and I will verify that information. As of now, I have yet to talk to a Best Buy that even knows there is a Sprint update coming.

11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

Re: Best Buy Update Friday May 7th (is a false Rumor)

Just out of curiosity.  Did you ask them to check their Toolkit(Their Intranet) before they gave you an answer?

Journeyman

One site did and they had "zero on the Hero" (yes it rhymes, ironic). They had HTC info but nothing about a hero. I asked about the screen shot, Friday May 7th he asked me twice what kind of phone I had...Hero....Hero. "no, I don't see anything about a Hero, we have heard about an update coming in June of this year. ".

So again...verifying the facts. The Best Buy Friday May 7th is a rumor. Like UFO's and bigfoot. When Friday comes and goes and 1.5 is still on our Heros there will be more yelling and screaming about Sprint.

I do agree, Sprint should have said they were targeting June of 2010 for the 2.1 roll out instead of a 6 month window. Everyone will hear 1H and want and think January.

Journeyman

Frankula wrote:

I got annoyed at all these post about Best Buy on May 7th and I've called several Best Buy and none of the knew what I was talking about.

So, if any posters got a confirmation please post the store you called and the persons name and I will verify that information. As of now, I have yet to talk to a Best Buy that even knows there is a Sprint update coming.

I personally called two stores yesterday. I personally talked with someone in the Mobile department. And I relayed what I was personally told by these people. And it was that an update is coming Friday May 7th. And that I could come in and they would do it for me at no charge or I could download it myself and do the update via my USB cable. I am not posting hearsay or rumor that I've heard someone else relate. This information was told directly to me by the reps at the respective Best Buys in Plano and Allen Tx.

I just called them back. And sure enough, Josh at the Allen central store (469.675.8924) had no idea an update was even pending. But assured me that it will be OTA and that I'd be notified when it's ready. I pressed him to look it up. When he got back on the phone he said they will have an update available on Friday May 7th. But for European Heros not Sprint. go figure that one. Why would they have an update for a phone that isn't even sold here? He had no idea.

Now at the Plano location (972.578.8000) I talked with Jared and he didn't know either. But when pressed he asked and came back with Friday May 7th and that I could download it or come in. But back everything up as it will erase the phone.

So here I am relating exactly what was told to me. I am not offering rumor.

Journeyman

I retract what I've said regarding Jarret. I called him back for the 3rd time now. And he is now unsure and says he wont know anything until at least Thursday.

But to clarify my position. I was not on here spreading rumor for the sake of spreading rumor. Everything that I posted regarding the 7th was told directly to me by a BB Mobile associate.

Journeyman

I believe you, JT. It is amazingly difficult to confirm what should be the most simple information. Thanks for your work.

Journeyman

Umm Its true there will be a HTC Hero Update available at Best buy tomorrow (2.1) how do i know?...well I have an inside man who works there.

Journeyman

I personally called the Best Buy in West Covina and told them about the screen shot of the e-mail I saw.  The girl had no idea what I was talking about but as I explained more about it she mentioned to me that it was probably in an e-mail she never read.  I told her to look at Employee News from May 3rd and she found it.  She started reading the memo to me over the phone and it was word for word what I saw in the screen shot.  The story seems to check out for an update this Friday.  It didn't specifically say 2.1 but it did say a ROM update that would require the user to back up their data.  Sounds to me like 2.1.  There is no need for me to post who I spoke with or the store phone number because you probably won't believe it until you speak to someone at BB yourself.  Or you can just wait til Friday to find out if it's true.

Journeyman

Folks,

I do understand your frustration with the whole 2.1 issue, but do remember the only real offical date from sprint is 1H2010, that was the original offical date deployed by Sprint Corp. All the other dates, times, etc. have all be rumors that are causing more problems that its worth, yes I know other carriers have 2.1, also remember that Sprint does have your best interest in mind, they want it to be fully working before the launch, the rumors are what is causing so much hate and bickering that it causes so many issues, not only for Sprint but for there customers as well. The 2.1 update will come and I understand there are some issues with compatability with 1.5 and newer android apps, remember that not only does Sprint have to: 1. Wait for the software to be written. 2: Then after that it goes into multiply testing phases, including app support, stability, over all proformance, and average customer usage to see if there are bugs. These processes take alot of effort and time to complete, understand that Sprint is working hard to make sure everthing is right. As for the lack of communacation which I understand can be frustrating as well, the reason you do not see the admins posting on the 2.1 Forum is due to so much fighting and hate over the whole situation. They do not want to feed the fire to use a example, the admins are bound by rules and procedures they must follow, remember that the admin the forums, and yes some my work for sprint, must of the inter confidental status of Sprint is not given to them, so they really can't tell you, they could start rumors or get peoples hopes up but why stir the pot up more than it is. If you have an app that you need for work, there are compatibility mode softwares in the app store and some are free, they will run 2.1 software in 1.5 mode for you. All in all remember that Sprint will let you know when it will be here, we the time comes, its not a state secret, I know for a fact that the Admins would love to tell you but as I stated before they simply are not keep in the inter loop on some of the higher end dealings. I go by the saying "Fear of the future is a waste of the present." Lets all take a step back and put yourself in there shoes, give them the time they have stated in the offical date of 1H2010. Thank you agian for your understanding and thanks for choosing Sprint.

Patron

It has been early Q2 and it should be done by early Q2 http://twitter.com/sprint

Journeyman

dbkerr wrote:

I believe you, JT. It is amazingly difficult to confirm what should be the most simple information. Thanks for your work.

Agreed!

Journeyman

Why do I have the feeling that whenever a rumor is posted, someone in the Sprint higher ups want to prove that rumor wrong? "So we're releasing the update on May 7th. Oh, wait a minute. Someone posted a so-called "Best Buy Leak" stating we're already going to do that.  That can't happen. Let's delay this AGAIN." Saying that we should be content with 1.5 and just wait is like telling people to be content with riding horses to travel while everyone else is driving a car (although, I do like horses).  Whatever. It comes when it comes.  I remember when flip phones were the talk of the town.  Now it's smartphones.  Granted, software will always evolutionize quicker than hardware, but that's just how it is in the 21st century.  I keep forgetting that Sprint still has the best phone plans.  Verizon's and AT&T's phone plans are EXPENSIVE.  What they make up in regards to phones with current software, they nab you in contracts and fees.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat