cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth and Mac?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Bluetooth and Mac?

I just got the HTC Hero and have discovered that it doesn't want to connect to my Macbook Pro via bluetooth. The devices recognize each other, so I can't figure out why they won't connect. My lowly Moto Q managed to function with it. Also, the phone keeps going into sleep mode in mid-function and I have to click it back on, then click back to whatever I was doing. it's annoying. I've set it so it should have a full minute of disuse before sleeping, but it still seems to happen if I stop for a few seconds. And it doesn't open up to my home screen, it opens to a bland sprint screen with the time on it. It's just an extra step; I'd like to get it to open directly to my home screen.

I'd also like to eliminate some pre-bookmarked sites. Any ideas?

Thanks ...

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: Bluetooth and Mac?

It seems that the Hero does not ship with BlueTooth file transfer installed.  I'm hopeful that v2.0 of Android remedies this.

When the Hero wakes up, it will always go to the unlock screen.  Maybe there's some app to disable that, but it's standard.  And it's easy to delete bookmarks- just look around a bit more...

Journeyman

Looks to me like it does have file transfer; maybe not, but I'm just talking about connecting, not transferring. I thought this was going to be the answer to my prayers - the most versatile phone I could find without having to get robbed by AT&T for an iPhone. I'm starting to wonder whether I totally picked the wrong thing. I haven't downloaded any apps, and it still seems to hang to me, and jumps to functions from out of nowhere ... the only thing I added were a couple of downloaded photos for wallpaper, and I deleted most of the included wallpaper choices. It just seems to be doing weird things. Every time it goes dark, I have to click to turn the screen on again. And I just set it down and it seemed to go dark in seconds. I've done this a few times in a row. It just sleeps, and I already got on the phone this afternoon with a hapless sprint rep who knew less than I did about the phone. So that was a waste.

Journeyman

You might want to check out:

Menu > Settings > Sound & Display > Screen timeout

This might also be something to do:

Menu > Settings > Sound & Display > Disable auto backlight

Alas Android 1.5 does not have all the "standard" BT profiles that allow for things like file transfers or sending vCards. 2.0 is suppose to remedy that.
In the mean time the SD card will mount just fine on the Mac if you want to add stuff to it.

Message was edited by: gilroykilroy

Journeyman

I've already set the timeout to one minute. Didn't affect it one whit. As soon as I put it down, it goes out in seconds. And now when it goes off and I get it back up, I can't press home and get my home screen. I have to press menu to make it go to the home screen. And I just set it down and the "set alarm" screen popped up. I set it down again and the "weather" screen popped up with a box that says "connection failed" It's telling me I need to enable data connection to do something. I wasn't trying to do anything. It's getting maddening.

So you're telling me I have no bluetooth connectivity with this thing? Then what's the point? Jeez. I can't sync my mac calendar without transferring it to gmail, and can't even get bluetooth to talk? I just want decent wireless transmission in some form between my laptop and phone. Not too much to ask, I don't think.

Journeyman

Something doesn't sound right; you might want to bring your phone back to the store.  As for BT the only good use for it at this moment is for headset or speaker connectivity. Until Missing Sync is out for Android your best bet is to sync with Google. You can sync the address book with Google then sync that to your phone.

Journeyman

Thanks. It may have to go back; I'm still learning it, though, so it could be that I've done something. But it's frustrating that the Sprint people – and the Best Buy people, too – seem to know so little about what they're selling and servicing. I was finding answers online faster than the tech person I was speaking with today could. As for the upgrade to 2.0, it sure would be nice to know it's on its way. When I was in the store, someone was exchanging a Hero for the Samsung phone with the slide-out keyboard -– the Moment, maybe  – which I don't want (it's bulky and heavy), mainly for the speed of a better processor. And it already had 2.0, I think. But he said he liked the hero. I figured it had to be better than what I had, and for internet access, it is, but just about any phone would be. That MotoQ is the reason I chose not to get anything else with Windows. And the Palms and blackberrys are bulky, too. I wanted small, sleek, durable, big screen, fast, versatile and easy to use. This was supposed to be all of the above. Guess the jury's still out.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat