cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brightness issues

Journeyman

Brightness issues

The LCD brightness on this phone is driving me bonkers.

If I leave auto-brightness on, it simply doesn't work half the time. It will often come on as dim and stay dim despite being in direct sunlight. Sometimes it'll come to its senses and get bright, but sometimes it just stays dim despite repeated locking and unlocking. So I have to turn it off.

I figure that I can turn it off and use one of the several Market apps to quickly adjust brightness, right? Nope! All of them adjust brightness but it goes right back to the system setting as soon as you return to the home screen or another app.

What's the fix here? I can't be the only one experiencing these problems, can I?

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: Brightness issues

along with your issue, when i had auto-adjust on i would be in a dimly lit room and it would cycle through bright and dark when i didnt even move around. I just turned the brightness to a moderate setting and did away with the auto-adjust all together.

Journeyman

100% agreed.  I brought this up on another thread somewhere.  It starts bouncing around way too much and is VERY conservative on how much brightness it ever selects.  While this is good to an extent for battery power, it also can be annoying.  Mine is worse when I'm indoors and no overhead light.  Rather, we use lamps in the living room and usually bedrooms, so that is when it starts bouncing the most.

Another poster stated what looks like a twin led light on the other side of the ear piece is the light sensor.  I'm not completely convinced as of yet, because I can hold my finger over it for a couple of minutes and nothing, nada as far as adjustment.  I still believe this is another light just to make a balanced look and HTC has done this in several devices.  I hope an app developer will come up with a tweak for the brightness and/or use the second led, IF that is what is there vs the light sensor.

Journeyman

I can confirm that the LED looking item on the right of the ear speaker is a light sensor. I didn't know it until a colleague pointed it out a few moments ago. When I hold my finger over it for ~5 seconds, the backlight goes dim (as to not blind you when you're in the dark). When  I let it go it goes back to normal brightness (so I can see in this brightly lit room in the office).

Make sure you still have the brightness setting it on auto adjust.

Journeyman

I do and its not budging.  Odd, because it certainly works in any other situation.  In fact, it works too well!

Journeyman

My auto-backlight works great. Every once in a while I'll unlock the phone and it will be bright for a couple secs then dim but other that it works. And I too can confirm that it is a light sensor on the right. Found that out like the 2nd day I had it phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello?  Anyone?  Where has this gone in terms of it being an issue?  Clearly it is an issue.  Mine auto adjusts to...well...nothing at all, seemingly.  Just sitting there on a table doing nothing other than changing brightness.  Maybe it's good at detecting ghosts with flashlights I can't see?  Doubt that.  Technical bug?  More likely.

This phone's got a ton of bugs and it's p*ssing me off. :-(

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat