cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug: Hero Alarm issues

Highlighted
Journeyman

Bug: Hero Alarm issues

So far this has happened to me twice and I'm not sure why, but my alarm clock has set itself to silent. The alarm will go off, it displays the alarm clock ringing graphic with the snooze option but it's just silent. If I have vibrate on it will vibrate as it's supposed to.

To fix I have to go into the stock alarm setting where I choose the alarm sound and use the volume rocker to turn the sound back up to where I want it because it's all the way down to no sound. I only found this out by accident. I've been using Rings Extended to use a custom alarm sound that I like and in that settings preference there isn't an alarm volume option. I just happened to be testing a default alarm sound in the regular area and hit the volume rocker by accident and the alarm volume dialog appeared. Never knew it was there until then.

All of my other sound levels are where they are supposed to be, ringer, notifications etc. Only the alarm has gone silent. Not sure why this would be.

Message was edited by: jturnbow

21 REPLIES 21
Patron

Re: Bug: Hero Alarm issues

Yes, I have noticed this as well. The phone just silences the alarm volume randomly sometimes without the user every doing anything. Like, you would raise the alarm volume to max and never touch the alarm volume again, and all of a sudden it would be silent next time you look at it.

This is problematic because what if it silences the alarm volume during the middle of the night while you're sleeping? Then no alarm sound for you, my poor friend.

Sprint should tell HTC to fix this if possible.

Journeyman

I've noticed this too.  Also, does anyone know how many times the alarm will let you snooze?  Most mornings I will hit snooze a couple of times and a few times I've woken up late without the phone showing the alarm had gone off again.  Maybe I'm turning it off in my sleep or something but this never happened with my old phone...

Journeyman

The first and only time this happened to me, the only thing that I had done differently during the day was download Listen, and listened to a few podcasts.  The next day the alaram was on silent.  I uninstalled Listen and installed the audio manager.  I check the alarm level at night now and haven't seen it at 0 again.

Journeyman

I had this problem as well. Is there a quick way to adjust your alarm volume without going into the Alarm Tone menu and adjusting from there?

Wizard

yes, I see this as well.  It must be a bug.  The alarm clock is a pretty important feature so this better be addressed in the upcoming MR.

Will or Sarah, acknowledge that you saw this?

I did figure out a few days ago that when you are setting the alarm ring tone, that is where you can adjust the alarm level.  I had set mine to full, then this morning, nothing but silent vibration.  I am using a custom MP3 ringer if that helps at all.

Journeyman

I noticed that after you remove the phone from charging the alarm volume goes down. So everytime I remove from charging, I make sure that the volume is set back up.

Journeyman

My workaround for this is an app. called "Sound Manager".  This app. puts all the volume sliders on one screen, and it lets you set schedules for each volume to turn up or down at certain times of the day.  I made a schedule for the alarm volume to turn all the way up a few minutes before the alarm goes off.  Now I don't have to worry about it changing randomly by itself.

Journeyman

As said, the alarm volume can only be set when you are selecting the alarm sound.

This is not addressed in the manual.

It would be advisable to add Alarm volume into the phone settings with the other notification volumes.

Of course you can end around this by downloading a volume manager application.

And you could also address this with an alarm clock application that has recieved high marks.

With respects to alarm volumes chaning without direction, I suspect what has been happening is that the alarm volume is getting wrapped up with other sounds when global changes are made such as using the volume rocker or selecting airplane mode. Closing the clock app, via Advanced App Killer and the likes, could also make the alarm volume revert to its default. The defaul is silent, which doesn't make sense for an audible alert.

I have been pushing and prodding this since I got the phone yesterday. After digging online to find out where the volume could be set, I have been unable to repeat the bug where the volume changes without user direction. I suspect that this issue has been addressed in firmware updates since November.

Sentences in bold are inteded for Sprint and/or HTC QA department.

Journeyman

I mentioned this issue on a different thread shortly after buying my Hero at launch.  The problem was that I couldn't re-create what caused the alarm to turn off.  But I believe I now have so if someone will test this to see if it is the case we may have a winner here.

1)  With your phone ringer volume on, not on vibrate or silent, set the alarm volume as normal in the alarm app and test to make sure you can hear it.

2)  Back out to any screen were you can set the ringer volume.

3)  Set your ringer to silent, so the on screen icon shows silent.

4)  Change your ringer to any audible volume level.

5)  Go back into the alarm app and check the volume on your alarm.  It is off.

I would guess that all sound volumes are supposed to return to previous levels after turning silent off, but it appears that the alarm "bug" is not allowing this.

I regularly set my ringer to vibrate during work but sometimes don't really look to see if I've gone all the way to vibrate or it actually stopped at silent.  One day, when I inadvertantly set my ringer to silent, I noticed the icon showing silent and then for whatever reason turned my ringer back on and checked my alarm.  The alarm sound was off.  I have no clue why I decided to do this during my work day but hey I believe this is the bug we are all experiencing.

Let us know if this is what you find as well.

Fubie

Journeyman

I woke up late today because of this alarm issue. This was the first time it happened since the update. I tried what you suggested but my alarm volume did not go down after I did those exact steps.

Wizard

Download Quick Profiles (or similar) and just set up a few different sound profiles.  You can then put shortcuts directly to the profiles on your home screens.  I have one for "silent" and one for "normal" (as well as one for "car", "movies", etc.).  It is very simple to do this and you can just hit it before you head to sleep.  I haven't had a single issue with the alarm since I did this 3 days after I got the phone. I wouldn't necessarily think that this is a "bug" but just how Android manages it volume settings.  There are so many volumes to control, without a third party app to help control them, it is a bit difficult to know what the levels are at any time.  I do hope that a future Android build just includes a simple page of volume sliders, but these third party apps are easy enough.

[Quick Profiles also claims to control the screen brightness, but it can not on the Sprint HTC Hero, it is a known bug with no work around according to the developer.]

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat