cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug: Weather widget

Highlighted
Journeyman

Bug: Weather widget

I'm using the stock HTC Weather Widget. I have the weather app set to update automatically, but it never does. I have to touch the update area at the bottom of the widget. Even then, 9 times out of 10 the progress indicator spins like it is updating but when it finishes it shows the the weather and update time from the last update, which could be hours ago.

If I press it to update 2 or 3 times it will finally update to the current time and weather.

Contrast this to the Peeps twitter widget that updates as soon as I stop on its home screen.

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: Bug: Weather widget

Happens for me as well.  Wish I could be more helpful...

Journeyman

I never had the problem with the Htc weather widget not updating. It updated once per hour along with the location on the clock widget. But I did have a problem with the inaccuracy of information and the overall cheesyness of the application when you tried to get more detailed information. It opens the accuweather website in the htc browser instead of giving you the info in the app. I've been testing the weather channel app as a possible alternative. Just in case anybody else dislikes the htc weather app and wants to try something else, this is what I've found so far (skip to the bottom if you want the short version)...

Weather Channel App Pros-

-Weather forecasts are much more accurate than the AccuWeather forecasts. At least they have been in my area.

-Everything is displayed in the app instead of opening a cheesy ugly slow webpage to get the information you want.

-Ability to set a home location and have it display temp in the notification bar instead of in a widget. The notification bar can then be pulled down to see more detailed information and access the program itself with a click. This eliminates the need to take up space on your home screen with a widget. Unless you want to display current location weather. For that, you need to use a widget (home location can very easily be changed to wherever you happen to be).

-You can also set it to notify you of severe weather conditions in the notification bar and you can add audio and vibrate warnings. This came in handy for me visiting another state during a severe thunderstorm and tornado warning. Again, for more info, simply pull down the notifications bar.

Features that are both Pros and Cons-

-Updates on Screen wake up, every 5 minutes while phone is awake and every hour while phone is asleep.  This ensures that the information is always up to date. BUT... it also sucks the life out of the battery and slows the phone down for a few seconds when it is updating. My awake time jumped from 4% to 34% when I chose a home location for it to update in the notification bar. I believe the same update frequencies apply when using a widget instead of a home location in the notification bar. I just eliminated the home location option and added widget that updates current location weather to see if it does make any difference. (severe weather alerts still appear in notification bar). If that doesn't help then there's always just using a shortcut icon to the application. Of course you don't get the current info in a widget that way, but i'm sure there are people that don't actually feel a need to have that anyway.

Cons-

-The available widgets are not anywhere near as cool as the HTC weather widgets. More options as far as app function, but not enough different widget skin and size options.

Short Version

-Weather Channel App works much better and has more options than the HTC AccuWeather App but the widgets aren't as cool and it uses more battery power.

Journeyman

I forgot everything you said prior to saying that you had 4% awake time. 4%? You have a powerful, beautiful, handheld computer of a phone and you use it little more than a free, can do nothing except talk, dumb flip phone?

Disclaimer: The above was a poor attempt at humor...I'll get my coat.

Journeyman

I text, email, play games, talk, i'm in the market a lot, but the highest it ever got during "normal usage" was around 45%. Just so happens that at the time I first installed the weather channel app, I wasn't using the phone a whole lot for anything more than texts, emails and phone calls. So the awake was under 10, usually around 4 or 5. Which was convenient timing because it allowed me to clearly see what a battery killer that app is if you use all the available features. A lot of people on here have said that I've been lucky and have been getting really good battery life out of mine for some unknown reason. The only real exception was before the firmware update when it still had the dialer bug. Then it would slowly creep up to the 90s until I found I could just shut the phone off once a day and it would reset everything. I am using it a lot again now, but again, it's not going much higher than the high 40s. low 50s. Oh, and I use Google Maps with the screen timeout turned off just about every day after work so I can see the traffic. I'm surprised that one doesn't take a much bigger toll on my battery.

Actually, since we're on battery usage now, that gives me an idea for a whole different way to explain how much this app uses... During normal usage, I use to be able to go a little more than two days without recharging. Since installing the Weather Channel app and using it's home setting or widgets, I now barely get a day (and that's back to normal phone usage). But the app works so much better than the one that comes with the Hero that, so far, I have no intention of uninstalling it.

Message was edited by: geffects

Journeyman

I like the HTC weather widget and was very satisfied with it until... Recently upgraded to new version of Android and then it quit updating.  I notice that under settings, the "Update automatically" checkbox never keeps the green check even after I activate it.  If I click on it and choose refresh, it'll update the widget, but never updates automatically, so it's always inaccurate.

Has anybody found a solution to this???

Thanks!

Journeyman

Found this posted somewhere and it fixed my problem.

Under Settings, there is Accounts & Sync. If you click that you will see two settings, Background Data and Auto-Sync, and the available apps to sync including Weather. Background is checked by default and Auto-Sync is not. If you check Auto-Sync, all the apps, including Weather turn green. When I closed Settings, the Weather automatically synched.

Journeyman

With Auto-sync checked go down to Manage Accounts (right below the Auto-sync option) and you can choose which apps you want to automatically sync and which ones you don't.  Example: if you don't want Facebook for HTC Sense to auto update click on it, you'll see General settings and Data and synchronization.  Under Data and synchronization uncheck Sync Contacts.

Journeyman

Yep.  That fixed it for me too!  Thanks!

Has anyone noticed that the sun/nighttime does not seem to coincide with actual? It doesn't change to the sun until about 8 am (even when it is sunny at 6:30/7 am) and the sun doesn't disapper sometimes til around 9 pm. I am in CST.

Thanks

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat