cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CONFIRMED: Fix for HTC Hero "Dialer" keeping phone awake!

Highlighted
Journeyman

CONFIRMED: Fix for HTC Hero "Dialer" keeping phone awake!

Read through this thread for background: http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/23043

The solution is to download ChompSMS from Marketplace. It's a free app that's highly customizable and even allows you to send/receive free SMS if you wish. But the real beauty is that this app actually works normally and doesn't screw up your phone. You can send/receive texts with ChompSMS just like your regular Messages app but this one is more configurable and customizable. It also doesn't stop your phone from sleeping like Messages appears to do.

So go download ChompSMS, install. Then restart your phone to make sure you clear out the Dialer issue since you probably had it. Now starting with a rebooted phone ONLY use ChompSMS...do NOT use Messages. You should be golden. So happy, that Android's openess makes something like this possible, no need to wait for a patch for Messages, just replace it!

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Journeyman

shweet fix man!!!!!

thanks so much!

Here's a quick question for you...I've installe and used chomp, but whenever I receive a text, in my notification the messages ALSO comes up (essentiall, just a duplicate of the text).  Is there a way to completely STOP messages from coming up?  I have task manager installed, but it isn't showing up there when a message is received...only chomp is

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm an IDIOT...

You can turn it off here:

Go to Messages (The app) > Settings > Notifications.

Uncheck that box and Messages won't notify you anymore. Just your other SMS client. Now I'm truly happy.

Message was edited by: mobilehavoc

Highlighted
Journeyman

haha NICELY done sir, I'm an idiot too.  Got it:D

And thanks again to the authors for their perserverance in this matter!!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

amazing, i was wondering why my phone was at 40% after three hours..now i dont feel like such an a**

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just ran the phone with light use for 1 hour and it's down to 96% power.

(Before this Messaging fix, it was down to 88% or less after an hour with no use at all.)

So effectively, the light/no use run time has gone from ~9 hours to ~ 25 hours 😉

Cheers again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

ok so I installed ChompSMS, restarted the phone and killed the Message App. I also turned off the original Message App notification but when i go to check the awake time its still 100%. What am I doing wrong?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Have you restarted since you turned on the Messenger app in order to kill the notifications? 😉

Also it should  say 100% unless it's actually been idle/asleep.

Highlighted
Journeyman

haha yea..wow cant beleave i didn't think that after i turned it off it would take a few minutes of non-use to go down...aduhhhhh lol. down to 86% now 🙂

Journeyman

Guys,   Just so you know, ChompSMS doesn't support MMS messages so you can't receive pictures.  Instead, use HandcentSMS.  This is Far more robust and supports MMS the same way the native messenger does.  You can actually get lost in the settings menu there are so many.  You should also note that, just like Messenger, you can't send pictures over wifi.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Glad to hear that there is a workaround but its kinda sad that there has to be a workaround.  I have the Mytouch from Sprint for about a week and the battery life was 3x times that of my new hero.  Im assuming its the whole "sense" thing since that is the main difference between the 2 phones.  I have quite a few issues i need help with on my hero and when i call the store they are 110% clueless about the phone and how it works.  I REALLY want to love my new phone! Do u think the moment will have the same issues?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree Handcent is much superior to Chomp.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat