Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Default browser to Opera Mini 5 Beta?

Patron

Change Default browser to Opera Mini 5 Beta?

Does anyone know how to change the default browser on the HTC Hero to Opera Mini 5? I've already looked in the application settings and and the Default Data Clear button is grayed out under the default Browser and under Opear Mini 5. Is it something HTC and/or Sprint have disabled from changing?

I'd like links from text messages and e-mails to open in Opera.

Thanks for any tips, -Matt

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Change Default browser to Opera Mini 5 Beta?

I can't set it either, but one thing for sure it's not HTC or Sprint restricting it. If you download the Dolphin Browser, it can be set as the default browser within it's settings. Opera most likely will need to add it in their settings. Boy is Opera browser fast...

Highlighted
Journeyman

fast and fugly

I don't see a setting to set it to default

It kind of reminds me of the iPHone browser, which was always my favorite mobile browser.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Go to settings>applications>manage applications. Wait for the list to load. Hit menu and sort them by size. Then hit menu and sort them by name. Now look for the main browser app. Tap it and scroll down towards the bottom. Should have a button like, Clear Defaults. Tap it. Now exit out and open a web page with opera. If nothing pops up, click on a link. By now you should have seen a popup asking which app you want to use to perform the action. Check the box that says set to default and tap opera. It is now your default browser. If a word is wrong in my instructions, I'm sorry. I am now on 2.1 and can't remember for sure the sequence, but I think that should get you to the clear defaults, which is how this works. PS: Clearing defaults will allow you to change any default app to a custom one.

Highlighted
Patron

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually tried these steps and when I get to the settings screen for "Browser" the "Clear Defaults" button is grayed out. I'm guessing it's something HTC has locked. I have the stock ROM installed so I imagine on something like the Fresh ROM this would be possible. I'm sure the Opera team could add an option as well.

Thanks for the idea though!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Those procedures are correct when I wanted to switch defaults between the built in browser and Dolphin, but Opera isn't on the list of available browsers.  It only lists the built in browser and the Dolphin browser in the popup selection.  So, it looks like Opera has a bit more work to do on this beta.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah that makes sense. So how is opera? I heard that its really good. I may have to try it sometime.

Highlighted
Patron

The speed is extremely handy when I'm trying to find answers to questions quickly on Google, and multitasking with the multiple tabs feature has been a huge convenience too becaues I can cross check between sites without losing my place.

Some pages don't render as well as the default browser, and I'm still undecided on using a mouse cursor with the trackball versus the trackball moving through form field selections.

It's interesting that Google's Chrome browser puts so much emphasis on speed but the default Android browser is so slow in comparison to Opera Mini. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with Opera compressing things on their servers first but even loading the application in the first place I see Opera come up more quickly than the default browser.

Definitely worth a spin!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Opera Mini is fast but it doesn't have the pinch to resize ability like the default browser. I use that feature all the time and will gladly give up a bit of speed for the convenience of having that feature. Uninstalled Opera mini 5.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Until I get the new 2.1 with the new HTC Sense NewsFeed widget, my plan is to use Opera for Newsfeeds like http://www.google.com/reader and http://www.cheapstingybargains.com/feed since it FAST and has the separate OperaLink which syncs its bookmarks with the cloud.  No reason having these Newsfeed shortcuts cluttering up my browser's bookmarks anymore.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The startup speed comparison between Android's native browser and Opera Mini still has a lot to do with Opera Mini running mostly on servers and is a lopsided comparison in that regard.  Primarily native-code execution browsers have to load their rendering engines in addition to appearing on the screen.  Server-subsisted browsers like Opera Mini render on the servers where only there and only when you've entered a web address does the rendering engine run on the server.  It has everything to do with the server farm Opera Mini runs on and little to do with the actual application.  Opera Mobile and Dolphin aren't as quick to startup either, and those are the applications that should be compared to when evaluating application startup times.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat