cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confirmed: Apps missing from Market for Hero is because of copy-protection

Journeyman

Confirmed: Apps missing from Market for Hero is because of copy-protection

You can see the testing I did with the developer of DoggCatcher here: http://www.snoggdoggler.com/node/486#comment-1448

Basically any app that has copy-protection on won't show up on our Hero after the update and they don't show up on the Eris either. The only way to get them to show up is to have the developer turn OFF copy-protection which is up to them to do.

Not sure why this is or what would drive HTC to make this but I sure hope SOMEONE out there fixes it!

15 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Confirmed: Apps missing from Market for Hero is because of copy-protection

I was thinking that the problem was the copy protection.  But this morning, I KNEW that the copy protection was the problem when the only two applications that Astro would not backup was the paid applications My Backup Pro and Documents To Go.  Those two applications are the ones that are not in my download list and in the Android Market.

Message was edited by: slbailey1

Journeyman

Ok, that make sense. HTC/Sprint: Are you working on a resolution?  Soon? I can't see developers giving up copy protection but I can't imagine they're very happy about lost revenues either.  I'm very unhappy not being able to download apps as I might choose, that are openly available to others.  I was sold this device with the promise of a large selection of apps and a great degree of customization.  What I seem to have now that it's been crippled is a flat Pre.... Yes - I went there

Journeyman

I just fixed my problem. Hate to say it but I found a website that has all the apps I could ever want, but thankfully I'm honest and I downloaded and installed only the apps that I've already paid for.

Hey what can I say? I was backed into a corner and my money was farked with. You don't fark with my money or you'll get burned. Done.

Journeyman

I've certainly thought of doing the same thing.  I really don't want to, as I'd prefer to keep everything on the up and up.  But I hope the Mods see this and pass it along so that many others are left with no choice but to go this route.

Journeyman

koxx, the developer of Pure Calendar, confirmed that this was the issue days ago (that only protected apps were the ones not showing) and that he as the developer, is not able to change this once it's been set:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=545097&page=93

So no help there I guess. :/

Wizard

mobilehavoc wrote:

You can see the testing I did with the developer of DoggCatcher here: http://www.snoggdoggler.com/node/486#comment-1448

Basically any app that has copy-protection on won't show up on our Hero after the update and they don't show up on the Eris either. The only way to get them to show up is to have the developer turn OFF copy-protection which is up to them to do.

Not sure why this is or what would drive HTC to make this but I sure hope SOMEONE out there fixes it!

I dropped this message over to HTC support, I suggest that everyone do the same.  Remember, the stuff here (Sprint Community) doesn't always make it back to the HTC developers (or even Sprint developers), so it is best to send them specific emails about this (not just forum posts). But thanks for the information for the users of this forum, great find, I am sure that they will fix this very soon.  Since it is happening on the Eris too, that makes me feel better that it wasn't part of the update....unless the Eris got an update simultaneously.  Maybe that is what that boot/cache folder was needed for?

Journeyman

I believe this is a much worse issue than this appears on the surface. This is not about our minute update, this is about having software that is exclusive to one carrier or device. T-mobile wants sherpa and imeem only available on their devices so they had the developers take it off the android market and made it only available to their users(confirmed by Buddy at Geodelic). I suspect that they(All the carriers/Google/HTC) are all aware of this but don't want the general public to know this, because Android is supposed to be an open platform. That was it's BIG selling point. I am very concerned because their is no real  accountability here. Carriers are saying it's google's or HTC's fault and vice versa.  Any thoughts or viewpoints on this matter?

Journeyman

I just fixed my problem. Hate to say it but I found a website that has all the apps I could ever want, but thankfully I'm honest and I downloaded and installed only the apps that I've already paid for.

Yep, I Googled for that site too. Its unfortunate, because the people that lose are the developers. I really expected the issue to

be repaired by now.

Journeyman

OMG, DEJAVUE!!!

Is it me, or are things beginning to sound a lot like what we experienced on the Instinct!!!  Copy Protection, Corporate Finger Pointing.  What's next?  Probably even more corporations not wanting to support the Android Market like Gamesloft.  According to Gamesloft, they say its due to a weaknesses of Android's application store (aka the Market).  Ref: http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE5AJ1EU20091120

Journeyman

What is the web site?  I would like to get my aps back as well. Thanks Mike

Journeyman

No, this is not worse than it seems on the surface.  The platform is open source, that doesn't mean tha the applications developed by an individual or company are open.  No different than Google issuing the takedown notice to Cyanogen for including their proprietary applications with his custom ROM builds.  Google was/is fine with Cyanogen customizing the ROMs and making them available, he simply can not include Google's proprietary code with his ROM builds.

If a company can make more money by partnering with a specific company (the case of imeem) and/or they are partially or wholy subsidized by a particular carrier, and agree to make the application only available to that carrier's phones, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  It is the developer's choice to do so.  That does not detract from the fact that Android itself, is open source.  *You* can install *any* applicaiton that you wish to install, that you can get.  Neither Google, nor the platform is preventing you from installing a given application (ignorning the current bug with the updated Hero ROM and the paid apps on Market, of course!)  The person who is preventing you from installing the application is the company who  happens to OWN that application.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.