cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cool (Less Known) Features, Functions, Hints

Highlighted
Journeyman

Cool (Less Known) Features, Functions, Hints

Borrowed from another forum. Post anything you know or have found out that others may not know.

-Most know this but long pressing the home key shows the 6 most recent apps.

-Double Pressing the Menu Key when the screen is off bypasses the lock screen (Or first lock screen if you have a pattern lock).

-To run the normal Android Home screen, go to Settings > Applications > HTC Sense > Clear Cache, and Clear Defaults.

-The trackball, or swiping your finger brings up the zoom option in the camera. Portrait: Swip bottom left side. Landscape: Anywhere on the left side works. I personally found it easier to bring it up with the trackball.

-Holding the Back button while in the browser brings up your history.

-Most know that you can tap to focus in a photo. But did you know you can tap to focus and continue to hold and it will take the picture without using the trackball?

-When scrolling through a list, a little grey bit will appear on the right, press it and you get the a-z bar for quicker scrolling.

-When receiving a call (you are just watching TV, and your Hero is on the table, beside you, etc), if you don't want to answer, but you would like to stop it ringing, just take it and put it upside down (screen facing down), it will stop the ringtone. The volume down button achieves the same thing.

-In a browser, long pressing a picture will allow you to save the image, send it via sms, or send via email. Neat function for sharing quick pictures.

-In a call, hold the green "call" button will activate the speaker. Holding it again will turn it off. The same thing can be achieved by pressing the menu key.

-Use the trackball to switch home screens while adding or moving shortcuts/widgets instead of dragging to the edge of each screen.

-You can also use the trackball to navigate data entry fields in the browser (great for going from username to password)

-Double press the call button to dial last number in your history (incoming or outgoing).  This is a little different for me because every other phone I have had has redialed the last outgoing call.

-When you're entering text, double tap the space key to add a period and a space after the word you're entering. (It also will accept whatever correction is highlighted)

-My favorite one is when a call comes in, you can hit the menu key to dismiss the call and send the caller a text message automatically. You can edit the settings for this by going to your phone dialer-> Menu . You can set the typical text message to be sent and select whether you want the chance to edit the message before sending. I love this feature and use it a lot.

-To get into Fastboot Mood: Make sure phone is off then, Press and Hold Volume Down + Power ON

-When you edit a contact, there is an option at the bottom to 'send caller to voicemail.

-Want to know when your Hero was "born"?  Go to the phone dialer and enter  ##786#.  After a few seconds, the Reverse Logistics Support screen is displayed with some interesting information.  Scroll down to "Manufacturers Date".  The date is displayed in day/month/year.

How to factory reset the HTC Hero from the keyboard - No touch screen:

Power off

Press and hold Home, Back and Power.

You come to an erase screen

Tap the scrollball to erase

Tap the scrollball to continue.

Handy if you've bricked the phone to the point the touch screen doesn't work anymore.

Note - this will erase EVERYTHING - settings, apps, call log, SMS messages, Voicemail, EVERYTHING.  (except photos and other stuff stored on the SD card)

Add your own.

Updated.

36 REPLIES 36
Journeyman

Re: Cool (Less Known) Features, Functions, Hints

Guess I can't edit. This is probably known but holding the talk key while on the home screen activates voice dialing.

Journeyman

A pretty good list..

Journeyman

Nice tips.  I could never hold the phone still while clicking the trackball to take a photo. Here are a couple I have found useful:

-Use the trackball to switch home screens while adding or moving shortcuts/widgets instead of dragging to the edge of each screen.

-You can also use the trackball to navigate data entry fields in the browser (great for going from username to password)

-Double press the call button to dial last number in your history (incoming or outgoing).  This is a little different for me because every other phone I have had has redialed the last outgoing call.

Keep 'em coming.

Journeyman

Good list! I had found the Apps with the menu key, but the others are new to me

Here's one I found:

When you're entering text, double tap the space key to add a period and a space after the word you're entering. (It also will accept whatever correction is highlighted)

Journeyman

My favorite one is when a call comes in, you can hit the menu key to dismiss the call and send the caller a text message automatically. You can edit the settings for this by going to your phone dialer-> Menu . You can set the typical text message to be sent and select whether you want the chance to edit the message before sending. I love this feature and use it a lot.

Journeyman

Cool indeed. Thanks for sharing. My favorite phone just became more cool.

Journeyman

brademcee wrote:

My favorite one is when a call comes in, you can hit the menu key to dismiss the call and send the caller a text message automatically. You can edit the settings for this by going to your phone dialer-> Menu . You can set the typical text message to be sent and select whether you want the chance to edit the message before sending. I love this feature and use it a lot.

That is full of WIN!   I just learned something new.. and will  use it a LOT.. since I tend to screen most, if not all, of my calls! LOL

TYVM!

Message was edited by: DMC-12

Journeyman

I remember reading where someone asked if you could use two different keyboards, like phone keypad in portrait and qwerty in landscape and he was told no. Well you can! Just set the keyboard type to phone keypad or compact qwerty and its set from there. If you rotate it shows full qwerty.

Journeyman

I posted a seperat thread about this but feel it can go in here as well.

To get into Fastboot Mood: Make sure phone is off then, Press and Hold Volume Down + Power ON

Journeyman

What does this do?

Journeyman

Well here's something I'm finding useful... and perhaps I'm the only one that didn't know this... but since my fingers are all thumbs I've been playing a lot with the voice to text capabilities  within Handsent.... it works pretty well and I'm an old hillbilly from Southeastern Ohio so for you folks who actually speak real English you may have fun by killing the keyboard and going to Menu>Speak and simply talking into your phone.... Hey, it ain't 2 bad!!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat