cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daylight Saving Time / Time Zone errors

Highlighted
Journeyman

Daylight Saving Time / Time Zone errors

I'm currently syncing my google calendars to my Hero.  I'm located in the US Central Time zone.  I've noticed that starting Oct 26 all of my calendar appointments are off by one hour.  I've traced it down to the appointments on the phone being set to the "America/Cancun" time zone.  The Mexican Central Time Zone does not coinside with the US Central Time Zone.  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Mexico)

Does anyone know how to change the time zone setting for the phone?

Anyone else notice a similar problem?

Message was edited by: Eskimo_Pi

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: Daylight Saving Time / Time Zone errors

@Eskimo_PI

This issue is bigger than just next week.  There are a few discussion forums going on in google right now on the same topic.  However, I believe the issue is not with google, but with the Hero, either with HTC or Android.  The problem is similar to what WinMo went through when DST was changed in 2007.  HTC and Android need a DST patch or the Android system will be useless as a calendar.  I, too, am in the CST and my Hero says the time zone is GMT-5:00, while google, outlook, etc., say the the zone is GMT-6:00.  This creates time issues with events not only for next week, but for events that were scheduled earlier and later.  I synced with Google calender sync first, then did a hard reset and synced with HTC sync, and the problems were the same.  After syncing, I have days in November that have multiple events; some are at the correct time, and some are off an hour.  I have no confidence that an event I now create will be at the correct time.

Journeyman

I've found a work around.

Menu -> Settings -> Date & time -> Uncheck the Automatic option.  Then make sure the correct time zone is selected.

@BR549

If you are in the US Central time zone you calendar should be GMT-5.  On November 1 it should change to GMT-6. Here's Chicago's timezone info: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=64.

Journeyman

Thx.  I tried unchecking "Automatic" and changing to -6:00, but it also changed the time on my phone.  Not a workable solution.  Also, waiting until Nov. 1 isn't very practical for events between then and now.  And, what will happen in March, 2010 when we go back to DST?  I called Sprint and they are looking into the issue (I'm not holding my breath).  The correct GMT for CST is -5:00 now.  Google and Outlook both say -6:00 because of the patch after the DST change in 2007.  I think this is an HTC issue.  If they can't fix it, I'll return to my winmo phone.  Thx.

Journeyman

BR549 -

If you are in the central time zone your phone should be set to "Central Time GMT-5:00".

I'm only syncing google calendars, not outlook or exchange calendars.  It may be the settings on your PC if your outlook can't sync correctly.

Journeyman

My occuring meetings were all an hour off after daylight savings time took effect.  I called HTC; they replicated the problem, but told me that this is an issue that has to be resolved by the developers of Googl Android.  On another forum, a Hero user said that they purchased Exchange Touchdown and has had no problems.  So I just bought it (9.99) and it resolved all of the issues that I was having with Exchange.  Because my company requires a password, I was unable to send emails from my phone and I was unable to make any changes to emails or my calendar and was unable to access my company's employee directory.

I am happy to say that Exchange Touchdown has resolved them all!!

Journeyman

Welcome to the Touchdown club.   Lots of great customization you can do too.   Be sure to check out their Google forum and snag the latest betas.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat