cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did HTC launch a Passive fix to 100% awake time?

Journeyman

Did HTC launch a Passive fix to 100% awake time?

Allow me to refresh your minds... Anyone remember their HTC Hero's staying awake 100% of the time?

What happened?   What, no more phones staying awake?   Why?   Seems that HTC may have fixed the bug after all without anyone's consent. 

Do they really need too?  Not really!   Updates or changes to our phones now a days can be done passively without explanation.   Honestly, I believe that Updates that we are prompted about is kind of a "show and tell"...  Really, if there is an update available, who wouldn't update their phone???

Thoughts anyone...

17 REPLIES 17
Journeyman

Re: Did HTC launch a Passive fix to 100% awake time?

Wouldn`t even a "passive" fix prompt us to reboot the phone? Haven`t heard mention of anyone seeing that.
What does a "Profile update" actually  update?  I see a profile update everytime I check. Could that have fixed our insomniac phones?

Journeyman

Correct me if I am wrong, but the 100% awake was fixed with the firmware update in NOV. take care of this instead of sprint updating without consent?

Journeyman

1.  I must agree that updates usually require a reboot.  However, look up "Hero rebooted" blogs... I for one ran into this issue that for no apparent reason, my phone rebooted while asleep.  I don't know why, but that's a fact.  My 2 cents...

2.  HTC Hero's update apparently had nothing to do with 100% awake time issues.  Sprint has it posted in detail as to what changes were made in the update.  Now I'd like to also point out that even after the update, many users still had the issue of the phone staying awake... Look up "100% awake time htc hero".

I'm just speaking out on curiosity.  I'd just like to know what indeed changed that magically fixed this issue. Call it what you want... I still say it was a passive fix.  Hey, the good thing out of all of this is that the phone is fixed.   Now we got to find other issues to complain about. LOL!

Just kidding.  I do enjoy my phone very much and can't wait for what's to come on the sprint network.   "Nexus i hope"!

Ok, perhaps "Consent" wasn't the right word.  What i meant was that if indeed it was a "Passive" fix, well, no one would know about it except Sprint or HTC.

Message was edited by: zeusautomotive

Highlighted
Journeyman

Funny... ok, so I'm not the only person thinking this!  Kudos to you for this post.

To recap, my Hero was 100% awake for the first few weeks after I purchased it, then suddenly it started sleeping and it has been fine since.

The sleeping began well after the OTA update.  I have been surprised to note that the threads on this forum about the 100% Awake topic (which you previously linked) have gone silent.  I've been wondering if the problem was fixed somehow by Sprint/HTC.

I believe you have hit the nail on the head...it was a Passive fix.

Journeyman

It was a bug in the Messages app. It was fixed in the November update. Ta-da.

Journeyman

No, the 100% awake time was not fixed with the firmware update because I continued to have the issue til after Christmas (unless mine was due to a downloaded app rather than the messaging app, because I should add that I knew about the messaging app bug before buying the phone and used Handcent since day 1). I recently did a hard reset to fix a different issue (MMS wouldn't download) and at the same time realized I no longer had the 100% awake time problem either. Or I think the 100% awake time was just a display error that persisted after the update because I don't think I notice a difference in battery life.

Journeyman

I have to think that they did update something.... I am one of the many whom had the 100% Awake issue on two separate Heroes and was a regular on the Awake issue posts.  After a few hard resets I finally just gave up and occasionally checked my awake time to see if it would magically just go down as it had for others.  A few days ago I happened to check my awake time and it was of course at 100%.  Several minutes later my phone rebooted itself and I actually thought nothing of it.  Then I saw this and checked my awake time and low and behold I am down to 17% awake time.  It is like Christmas morning all over again.

Journeyman

Here is the changelog for the sprint update.

HTC Hero Software Enhancement SW 1.56.651.2 provides feature updates and enhancements to address the following:

Improved camera picture quality

DST (Daylight Savings Time) issue addressed

Unable to recieve SMS due to full memory

Memory leak when Bluetooth is in connecting state

3.5mm mono whennot using headset with mic

Dialer application causing excess battery draw (100% awake time on phone)

So there you have it. If you are still having this 100% awake problem it is probably one or more of your apps that you downloaded that is keeping the phone awake. Try un-installing them 1 at a time and see which one it is.

If you are not having this problem, Sprint is not going behind our backs and updating our phones without us knowing.

Journeyman

Yes we know the November Update had a fix for 100% Awake however it did not stay fixed for some of us.   It wasn't an App that I had because I wouldn't install anything at all and it will still go back to 100% Awake time..  Something has changed is all I am saying

Journeyman

sillyg000se wrote:

No, the 100% awake time was not fixed with the firmware update because I continued to have the issue til after Christmas (unless mine was due to a downloaded app rather than the messaging app, because I should add that I knew about the messaging app bug before buying the phone and used Handcent since day 1). I recently did a hard reset to fix a different issue (MMS wouldn't download) and at the same time realized I no longer had the 100% awake time problem either. Or I think the 100% awake time was just a display error that persisted after the update because I don't think I notice a difference in battery life.

The messaging bug is not the only possible cause of 100% awake. However, it was the cause of 100% awake for the vast majority of users. The messaging bug was fixed in the November update, and therefore the 100% awake issue was fixed for the vast majority of users at that time.

Journeyman

My hero is stuck 100% awake all the time and abysmal battery life, called tech support today and they said too bad there's nothing you can do about it.  Keep a charger in your car.

This really stinks...I should have stuck with Blackberry.

I even downloaded a task manager and nothing.  This whole idea that the platform was ready for primetime is such a joke.

Conventional wisdom is to not get a new tech anything (so you don't end up paying a premium to beta test products) I bought into the hype and regret it.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat