cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does HTC Twitter anymore?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does HTC Twitter anymore?

I remembered a time that HTC would regularly twitter about its current events.   I happen to believe that using Twitter was a fantastic way of creating a "Personal relationship with its customers".  May I also suggest that when HTC does Twitter, that they include the name of who's making the comment.  I'm not at all complaining but just making a suggestion to making us HTC owners feel like our comments are recognized and reviewed.  Or just to say Happy New Year! 

Thank you sprint, for creating the community forums...

37 REPLIES 37
Journeyman

Re: Does HTC Twitter anymore?

They stopped twittering around the time I called them out for illegally selling HTC Hero and violating the GPL for the that operating system.. oh what was it called again?... it slips my mind.. Oh yeah!  Android!

So yeah, they're hiding from me now. They're breaking the law, they won't release the source and they're in deep bat poop.

Message was edited by: VoXPCS : c.r.a.p isn't a bad word. Hypochristian is a bad word.

Master

Didn't HTC release the source though... yeah.

http://developer.htc.com/

Journeyman

Not the Kernel.. yeah. Take that.

Master

It says on their dev site that it is the kernel source and binaries. Granted I haven't looked at it since I'm not into development, so I don't need it.

Journeyman

so what's so illegal about it?  can you please clarify?

Master

The Linux source is licensed under an open source license. It requires that any modifications also be released under an identical open source license. Sinc eAndroid is based on Linux at its core, it must be open source. Since HTC customizes the Android kernel for Sense UI integration that must also be released under an open source license. If it is not, HTC is in violation of the software licensing agreement.

Journeyman

I've "Googled" this issue myself in order to better understand this matter... From what I've read, this has been going on since 2008? Why does HTC continue to sell their phones if it was a problem? Is it that they're cashing in on a free market? Most buyers such as myself don't seem to be effected by all this. Should i be???

Master

For the average person it makes no difference. It comes down to licensing issues with HTC, and developers who want to look at what HTC has done to the Android kernel, and they may want to use some of those modifications in their own stuff. Open Source is all about collaborative effort.

For an end-user it makes no difference, it just helps those who are developing Android devices and programs.

Journeyman

Well, the fact of the matter is that HTC refuses to release the kernal, knowing that once they do....they will once again be "shown up" by the incredibly talented guys at XDA Developers. For that matter, those guys almost have 2.1 running in full function without the kernal which makes HTC look really bad after having 2.1 in hand for months now without even an enkling of a release schedule. Rest assured, the guys at XDA "will" have 2.1 fully functioning long before HTC and Sprint release it. How pathetic for HTC and Sprint.

Journeyman

REALLY RIGHT NOW?!?!

I'm sorry but there is no way you can compare a couple guys tweaking ONE device on ONE carrier to a full manufacturer with A MULTITUDE of phones on different carriers, SEVERAL different operating systems, in SEVERAL different countries. Not to mention that the update is going to be ota so they have to make sure the phones and the networks wont crash.

Yeah, no, not pathetic at all, the fact that they fixed the issues first and then started going to prepare 2.1, not 2.0, but 2.1 for the phone is pretty good imho.

Journeyman

Yes, completely pathetic. And yes I can compare HTC to the guys at XDA......I can also say the "couple" (which is actually several) guys at XDA have just as much talent and knowhow of the Android (Linux) system than your guys at Sprint and HTC. The simple fact of the matter in this thread IS that HTC IS breaking laws by not releasing the modifications they have made to open source software. (the CDMA kernal) If this were released today,  we would have a fully functioal Hero 2.1 rom from XDA tomorrow. Enough said....

Message was edited by: troyboytn

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat