cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Sprint Hero IM app use SMS or data?

Journeyman

Does the Sprint Hero IM app use SMS or data?

Does the Sprint Hero IM app use SMS to send like the G1 does/did? Refer to threads such as http://androidforums.com/android-applications/545-aim-msn-yahoo-use-sms-say-aint-so.html (AIM, MSN, Yahoo use SMS?  Say it ain't so!)

I can't seem to test as I have no way of disabling the phone and sticking with WiFi. I'm trying to test out something.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Does the Sprint Hero IM app use SMS or data?

No, I don't think so. But if you close the app without logging out, it will send you an sms saying you have new ims.

Journeyman

Yeah I get those periodically.

The reason I ask is that I'm starting to investigate whether the HTC IM application is sending through SMS -> thus relaunching and sending via the Messages application -> thus causing 100% awake time again.

I installed an app called Airplane Mode Wi-Fi Tool which allows you to enable WiFi while going into airplane mode. I'm trying to confirm whether my friends get IMs while I'm on WiFi-only. I have confirmed that Peep doesn't use SMS so that's good.

Journeyman

Ahh I see now. I don't use the stock IM app so I don't have that problem. I do know that, as long as you log out before you close the IM app, you shouldn't get any of those messages. But if you leave it in the background, and it eventually closes, or you close it with a task manager, you will receive the text.

Journeyman

While it wouldn't be good if it was launching the bug, in the end this is would be a good thing. You wouldn't have to be connected to the servers, you would just get told of a new IM.

Though, I can't get the IM app to work. It never brings up my buddy list. (Also, sms is hardly instant, so it would be bad in that sense.)

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat