cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dust under the screen issue - Please post here if you got it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dust under the screen issue - Please post here if you got it.

As you may know, some people have an issue where dust is getting under their screen.

There is a rumor, and I stress rumor, that Hero's with the Google branding don't seem to have this issue because of a better screen fit.  Personally, I'm not buying it because no one has been able to provide photos.  However, some of us would like to start collecting data on this issue.

If you have dust getting under your screen, please post here and state your device "version" (i.e. the branding on the back of the Hero)

• HTC-only branded
  • Google branded

Thanks for your participation.

367 REPLIES 367
Highlighted
Journeyman

well that pretty much seals it for me, I will get a silicone case when I take my hero in for exchange on monday, and just use it til HTC or sprint decide to take care of the problem. I really didn't want to use a case with this phone, but I am really tired of my screen having a bad case of dandruff...

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC branded. Dust under the bottom left cover. Got a silicone cover yesterday hopefully that keeps any more from getting in there. Any other ideas on how to stop or fix this issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You know how I fixed my issue?

I returned my Hero to Best Buy this afternoon and went back to my Touch Diamond.

Today was a sad day.

What sealed the deal on returning my Hero was walking into the Sprint store today and being fed the bullshit line that the dust issue is cosmetic and as such they would not replace the phone.  Really Sprint?  I was furious.  The tenacity to feed me such bullshit.

So I am waiting until HTC rev.'s the hardware, offers an official "fix" or the price of the Hero drops and it starts shipping with 2.0.

I believe Sprint cheaped out on the build quality of this phone to rush it out ahead of the competition.

Dead pixels, dust under the screen, cheap display, blue to red color gradation on white screens on the hardware side.

Intermittent reception of SMS, phone not sleeping properly on the software side et al.

We, as customers, suffer for Sprint and HTC's beta testing and cheapening out on build quality to save a few dollars.

Today was a sad day for me.

Going back to Windows Mobile after Android is painful.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have a ticket in with HTC, it's been open since October 29th. Here is their reply body.

"I understand how frustrating it can be when your device is not  functioning properly. HTC has heard of this issue before. We are  concerned about your case, and would like to escalate this issue so we  may contact you with a resolution. I will provide your information to  our escalations team, and a member of the team will contact you shortly  to confirm your contact information. They will keep your case open until  there is a resolution that they can provide for this issue, and contact  you again with that resolution."

I have yet to hear anything. I like the phone, the OS is fine. (for being 1.5) As long as I keep a vigilent eye on the background processes it is snappy and responsive, but I went into purchasing this knowing that I would be upgrading to a faster android as soon as I am able to. I am not faulting Sprint so much as HTC. They are the ones ultimately that built the phone and put their manufacturer's logo on it. The screen should be sealed. Period. And Sprint should be backing its customers up. Being 3rd place by a wide margin they cannot afford to act otherwise.

Dust under the glass is not cosmetic. It is a defect. Any high school kid at the Sprint store should be trained to know that.

Since Sprint hasn't released any (actual) Hero cases, I bought a small drawstring bag at best buy and the problem has not gotten worse. My iphone co-workers carry their iphones bare in their pockets and don't have a single fleck under the glass.

It is a manufactuing/design problem that HTC will either remedy (soon) or consumer reports will be getting my info.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did the best buy exchange today, and got the rubber case for it, but am not using a screen protector, I hope this is enough to keep the dust out, I figure I should know tomorrow after a day of work with it in my pocket...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I made the trip to Best Buy on Sunday and traded my Hero in for the Moment. I dont forsee any change happening quick enough that i wouldnt have to trade the Hero in again if i had just swapped.

I did like everything else about the phone just couldnt handle the dust issue. Moment seems to be sealed up a bit better. We shall find out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the same issue.  I have a Google Branded phone that I ordered through the phone and I have dust under the lower left of the screen.  I went to the corporate sprint store and they told me I had to call in.  I called and they wanted to charge my CC for the phone until it was returned.  I did not go through with it because my billing statem closes in a few days.  How have other people who ordered by phone gotten a replacement?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I haven't had this problem, but I became aware of it the day before I got my hero.  The first thing I did was purchase a hard plastic case.  I hope that will seal the leak and keep it from getting any dust.  I have a co-worker that also has the hero and he got dust in his screen on the first day.  He's not that upset as he thinks they will fix the problem and offer him a new phone.

I'm confident either HTC or Sprint will step up to the plate and make this right.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've had my 2nd Hero (Google branded) for 2 weeks now and I'm starting to get dust again in the bottom left corner.  I don't want to exchange until there is an announced hardware revision to fix this.

I like the Hero in almost every way and do not care to go to the Moment.  I don't want a hardware keyboard and I really like Sense.

😠

_josh

Highlighted
Journeyman

I Have a Google brand Hero with dust collecting on the upper right corner mostly. I Have 2 more days left on my 30 days and am wondering if it would make a difference to exchange it. The sprint chat people make it seem so easy to switch phones as I got mine via the sprint store but from previous posts It seems like I'd get the run around at an actual store.

All in all what is the difference of exchanging it if will do the same thing over again? I recently got the Sprint Hero phone condom and I am trying to keep it out of my pocket. Hopefully this stops the fuzz.

I'm getting the phone protection plan just in case. This is my first smart, fancy, and expensive phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I lucked out and my replacement has not been gathering dust like my original one. Might be worth a shot.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You're going to pay 10/month to protect a phone that only cost you 129 bucks. In a year, you will almost have paid for a 2nd phone. I have been with Sprint for almost two years and I have never carried the protection and three times, they sent me a new Instinct when I had problems. As others on the Internet have suggested, you could just put 10 bucks in a jar or bank account each month. If something happens to the phone and on the off chance Sprint won't get you another, you can use the money you have saved to buy another. Just my two cents.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat