cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dust under the screen issue - Please post here if you got it.

Journeyman

Re: Dust under the screen issue - Please post here if you got it.

I haven't bought a Hero yet, but will be buying one for my wife and myself in the next week.  The dust issue is hard to ignore, but isn't a deal breaker for me.  I've done a ton of reading about this over the past week, and it appears to be hit or miss, meaning not every Hero has this problem.  HTC definitley has a quality control / design issue here and hopefully they correct it.  If my Hero's have the dust problem I'll be disasembling and sealing them myself.

http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/22036-sprint-htc-hero-disassembly-diy.html

Journeyman

I too am in the same boat, looking to purchase both a Hero and a Moment in the next few weeks.  As I mentioned in a previous post, a Sprint rep told me 'inventory' was different at BB and retailers other than Sprint.  Just curious, has anyone had the dust issue from a phone they purchased directly from a Sprint store?

Message was edited by: Texasdoggies

Journeyman

While I find what that rep. told you really hard to believe, I got mine at a Sprint store almost 2 months ago and no dust.  Hmmm... Nah, gotta be a coincidence.

Journeyman

I agree with eyebeam.  I can't imagine Best Buy and other retailers get one build and Sprint Stores get another.  It would be interesting to add this to the list of possible variables though.

Journeyman

Well, it took me 3 whole days to get dust under the screen!!!  I've had a Blackberry 8310 that was horrible on dust and just finally gave up on trying to fix it.  Dust isn't the breaking point for me for what this device does overall.  I may say differently when I'm needing to use it outside and can't see anything on the screen due to it.

Journeyman

I wish I could be sure.  When you look closely at the fine print on the Sprint vs BB and other websites, at least with the Moment, the 'in the box' accessories are different.  There is less 'in the box' at BB and the others.  Even though the phones are new and not 'refurbs' I wonder if there is a factor in the quality control process that determines which phones are shipped to which retailers. Similar to a clothing retailer that handles seconds or irregulars...just wondering.  Most of the time we know in advance that we are buying such products.  When spending this much money on two phones...I just want to know for sure.  There is a big price difference, and I am not allergic to saving at least $100.00 on each phone.

Journeyman

Texas, I can say I won't be buying the Heros at a Sprint Store, or through Sprint.com.  I don't see why I should pay out an extra $80 per phone after rebate.  It will be Best Buy or a local Sprint retailer. I posted a question on the Verizon forum asking about dust issues with the HTC Eris and am under the impression that the dust is a non-issue with that phone. Verizon doesn't have a plan that compares to SprintsEverything Data Family 1500 minute plan, so Verizon isn't an option for me even though I can get an 18% discount through my employer.

I expect we will get our Heros later this week.

Journeyman

Just to keep you guys updated... still no dust under the screen for my Google branded HTC Hero. I always have it in my pockets. The htc branded silicon case collects alot of lint and dust... maybe it is helping to prevent dust from entering my phone.

Journeyman

Dude, I agree with you.  I don't want to hassle with paying the extra $100.00 up front (per phone) and then wait for a rebate...assuming the phones are equal.  And even if they are not equal...the issues that everyone is posting here do not seem that serious.  I will make another call to to Sprint Customer Service to be sure that if I make the purchase both phones at BB and forego the BB insurance (or device protection) that I can go right to the Sprint store and sign up for the Sprint protection plan at $7.00 per month.  Otherwise, it might not be worth it in the long run.

Journeyman

"with Google" branding on the Hero I returned to Best Buy today for an exchange.  I had the phone for 3 days before I noticed a significant "smear" of dust that looked like a trail of dust that had been blown into the phone and emanated from the upper-right corner.  Shoddy build quality for sure.  If this one does the same, I may try the Moment.  I've updated my firmware and have no apps installed and I'm SICK of how slow this phone is.  It's ridiculous sometimes.

Journeyman

kevin.oneill wrote:

"with Google" branding on the Hero I returned to Best Buy today for an exchange.  I had the phone for 3 days before I noticed a significant "smear" of dust that looked like a trail of dust that had been blown into the phone and emanated from the upper-right corner.  Shoddy build quality for sure.  If this one does the same, I may try the Moment.  I've updated my firmware and have no apps installed and I'm SICK of how slow this phone is.  It's ridiculous sometimes.

you realize of course ppl will tell you you're full of crap and your standards are too high etc etc for saying the hero is unbearably slow

(it is for me too)

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't care what people will say.  I just started getting dust under the screen on my second one, which is now on day TWO out of the it's box.  WTF?!  Clearly HTC have a serious problem with their supplier when it comes to consistency of quality, as I know not everyone is having this problem.  I also hope that they work out a TON of GUI / OS (?) bugs.  New one I ran into a couple days ago and ran into again today (had to shut down the phone and restart it:

1) From the home screen screen, press the search button: the "Google Search" bar and the virtual keyboard pop up

2) Press the search button a second time: the "Google Search" bar and the virtual keyboard should both go away; sometimes the search bar goes away but the keyboard gets 'stuck,' and you have to press the home button after pressing the search button the second time to clear both from the screen.

The above issue is random, but once it starts to happen, it just seems to keep "working" that way, until the phone is restarted.

The non-responsive auto brightness after being unlocked is annoying too, though this can usually be "fixed" by re-locking and un-locking several times (should NOT have to do stupid sh*t like this).  I understand these things are basically little computers these days, but c'mon.  I remember when a cell-phone just worked. LOL

Android's got quite a few annoying little bugs.  Hope they work a lot of them out for v2.0....

And too all those who say it's not slow:

:-P

On my second HTC Hero, and it, too, is slow.  (Sense UI?  Me thinks so.)

SSSLLLLLOOOOOWWWWW....

YES.  IT.  IS.

Shut it!

Don't want to hear it.

SHUT!  IT!

:-)

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat