cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dust under the screen issue - Please post here if you got it.

Journeyman

Re: Dust under the screen issue - Please post here if you got it.

I highly doubt there is a smartphone out there that doesn't have a bug or two.  The Hero isn't perfect, show me an Android phone, or any smart phone that is.  Talk about bugs, I use a Verizon BB Storm at work.  I must have got a good one though as I've had few issues with it over the past 6 months, and no dust problems!

I found this which says that Best Buy is the exclusive Hero retailer nationwide.  http://www.cellfanatic.com/2009/09/best-buy-becomes-the-exclusive-national-retailer-for-the-sprint-h...

I tend to believe this as I stopped by a Sprint retailer on the way home from work and they didn't have any Heros, not even one on display.  They said they could order one for me.  Also, why does Wal-Mart have the Verizon Eris, but not a Hero?  By the way they have the Eris for $30.00.  To bad Verizons plans can't compare to Sprint!  The local Sprint store does have the Hero however.

I sure would like to know if everyone who is having this dust issue has bought the Hero from Best Buy.  Most of the posts here mention Best Buy.

Journeyman

Returned my first Hero (non-Google branded, purchased at pre-launch from BB) about five weeks after buying it, due to dust under the screen in lower left corner. Now I have dust (less than before) under the screen in the upper right corner, on my Google-branded Hero.

Incidentally, Sprint called me to check on me shortly after that, as a routine courtesy call, and I mentioned the dust. The rep was surprised to hear about the matter, but said he noted it in my account. Again, I didn't buy from a Sprint store, but it doesn't hurt to have them know it's a problem...

Journeyman

I'm on Hero #3; I was an early adopter, too and got it after having reserved it at Best Buy.

It was branded "with Google," and after 2 weeks, noticable dust got under the screen.

Returned it and got an HTC branded one. Same thing.

Got a Moment. Fingerprint underneath the screen (I'm assuming it happened during the manufacturing of the device? IDK), and had 1 dead pixel, not to mention a few weird multi-tasking issues were noticed, but nothing serious.

Second Moment was fine, but I just returned it and exchanged for a Hero "with Google" instead and so far, no dust. I'm not sure if this makes any difference, but by the time I got my 3d Hero (the one I'm currently using), I bought it in mid-November. Maybe Heros manufactured later on after HTC found the problem are less prone to the dust issue.

A few tips I recommend are: buy a case (like a leather hip holster that clips onto your belt) and don't put the phone in your pocket. Also, at night, I leave my Hero face down on its user guide beside my night stand. I figure dust in the room from the ceiling fan swirls around without being seen and could possibly rest on the screen and get underneath it. Anyway, try those, and see what happens.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If I get more dust under the screen on this hero, it's going back also, and i may consider a Moment, as I would suspect HTC's supplier is likely having a quality control issue in the manufacturing process.  I should pose the "dust under the screen" question in the Moment forums here, just to see if anyone bites. :-)

In my experience, the hero has been the most inconsistent phone I've ever owned or used in terms of functionality; sometimes it's fast, other times it's laggy; sometimes the auto-brightness feature works, other times it stays dim (or bright - take your pic); sometimes the audio notifications sound; other times they don't.

other things annoy me, too, such as the screen not waking up when I'm done with a call and pull the phone away from my ear.  i have to press a button to first wake up the screen and THEN press End Call, or I have to press button and then press the end call button.  not a huge deal - it's just that no such product should function this way.  and this seems to simply be the way it is - it's a constant.

Message was edited by: kevin.oneill

Journeyman

mine's an htc one...  i just came back from my local manhattan sprint store to get it cleaned but they told me they were not trained yet to do ANY work on the hero!  the front desk guy said we can talk to the repair person to see if they think they're comfortable doing the work, but it's completely at my own risk with no warranty.  which is completely contrary to what 2 tech support people told me when i called up.  they told me to call htc and see what they say...  ugh, this is exactly what i didn't want, to be left in the middle between the sales and manufacturer.  or do i take it to best buy where i bought it?  i got it back in october, it's after my 30 days.  would they exchange it?

Journeyman

u guys are keep changing the phone because of the dust?

they just cleaned my phone for free........... and i go back if i have problem and get it cleaned again and again for free.. and i dont have to mess around backup my stuff then set up the new phone.....

Journeyman

CSOCSO wrote:

u guys are keep changing the phone because of the dust?

they just cleaned my phone for free........... and i go back if i have problem and get it cleaned again and again for free.. and i dont have to mess around backup my stuff then set up the new phone.....

okay.. i would *really* like to know just how you get that done.. where you take it.. who does it

i already exchanged my phone due to dust - now my replacement is starting to get dust - and no.. i do NOT want to exchange this one (and start all over again)

Journeyman

Enclosed is a copy of a repsonse I got from HTC regarding the dust under the screen.  I have an open ticket with them until the problem is fixed.

I understand your concern in getting this issue resolved. Here in HTC Technical Support I do not have a timeline on when a fix is going to be released for this issue, but one is being worked on at this time. I do not have information regarding how many devices are experiencing this issue. We do not recommend getting your current device repaired or replaced because there is a chance you will experience the same problem again until the fix is released for this matter. Once there is a resolution you will be notified. I do apologize once again for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

So, I will live with the dust until they get a fix for the problem.  I also will be asking them for updates every other week until I get something out of them.  Also, I might contact consumerist.com to see if they are interested in running a story on this.

Mark

Journeyman

Please keep us posted on what HTC says about the fix.  I expect once they impliment the fix it will take awhile for it to filter from manufacturing to the retail channel.. This could take months!  I'm hoping we can get the phones serviced locally, rather than having to send them in.

I haven't bought the Hero for my wife and myself yet.  I may wait until this is settled.  Or, I could always fix it myself.

Journeyman

Agreed. I've went to THREE Sprint stores (all with repair services) and they all REFUSED to clean my phone.  I was given the "it's a cosmetic issue and we're not obligated to fix it".  So what else would you like me to do? I paid too much for a device to be defective after a month.

Journeyman

I am on my second Hero, first one (with Google)  just crapped out on me after two weeks, Nothing worked, dust under screen (from top right to bottom left). I was just going to live with the dust until it took over the screen but them the Hero just quit, no warning.  The new one has no issues... With Google.

Journeyman

wow... u guys got refused to get the phone cleaned out??? thats sux... call sprint or do something... btw im in florida and there is a store in pembroke pines and they cleaned my hero

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat