cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dust under the screen issue - Please post here if you got it.

Journeyman

Re: Dust under the screen issue - Please post here if you got it.

dwayne wrote:

wpeen001 wrote:

I went to the sprint store, and at their repair center, they were able to clean the dust from back of the screen.  According to the repair guy, this phone is the easiest phone he has ever worked on, and that it only took him a few mins to actually take a part and clean the dust from off  the screen.

I guess I'll be trying that route afterall

You my want to take a look at this if you are going to clean it your self.

http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/22036-sprint-htc-hero-disassembly-diy.html

Journeyman

Dwayne, sorry to here about how you got treated, that's terrible! When I showed my phone to my home town Sprint store they agreed that the dust should not be there and ordered me a new phone without hesitation as it should be and it was just over a month old. I asked what if it happens again?  They said if HTC fixes the problem on a newer model they would trade it or give me a comparable device providing the problem occurs again, fare enough I guess? I've seen on other posts that HTC is well aware of the issue and are working on it. Till then and this ridiculous, I put the phone in a zip lock baggy and then put it in my pocket full of lint. I really think this device is superior and this defect really kills it! I have a feeling that it will happen again, the replacement didn't have any of the updates so it must be an old run. So is the Sprint store going to clean your screen every month for free LOL!

Journeyman

robbo10 wrote:

Dwayne, sorry to here about how you got treated, that's terrible! When I showed my phone to my home town Sprint store they agreed that the dust should not be there and ordered me a new phone without hesitation as it should be and it was just over a month old. I asked what if it happens again?  They said if HTC fixes the problem on a newer model they would trade it or give me a comparable device providing the problem occurs again, fare enough I guess? I've seen on other posts that HTC is well aware of the issue and are working on it. Till then and this ridiculous, I put the phone in a zip lock baggy and then put it in my pocket full of lint. I really think this device is superior and this defect really kills it! I have a feeling that it will happen again, the replacement didn't have any of the updates so it must be an old run. So is the Sprint store going to clean your screen every month for free LOL!

I really hope some Sprint management reads this thread...I'm happy that you got your phone fixed, but they need to adopt a policy on replacing the Hero for "defective" units.  If you don't mind, send me a private message as to what store you went to.  I travel quite a bit and if by some stroke of luck I end up in your town, I'm going to that store

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unfreakinbelievable..…I have taken absolutely every single precaution possible to avoid the dust but it finally happened to me.  Nice work HTC and Sprint.  That's a true measure of quality when one keeps his phone in a holster, NEVER carried around in pocket one day and yet dust still forms under the screen.  There truly is nothing else you can do guys.  If you take preventative measures, it apparently only prolongs the inevitable.  I love this phone, but will do a break down/clean myself if I have to, because I'm far too anal retentive about stuff like this.

Journeyman

mlblack16 wrote:

Unfreakinbelievable..…I have taken absolutely every single precaution possible to avoid the dust but it finally happened to me.  Nice work HTC and Sprint.  That's a true measure of quality when one keeps his phone in a holster, NEVER carried around in pocket one day and yet dust still forms under the screen.  There truly is nothing else you can do guys.  If you take preventative measures, it apparently only prolongs the inevitable.  I love this phone, but will do a break down/clean myself if I have to, because I'm far too anal retentive about stuff like this.

Please at least call Sprint and get this on record.  They need to know that this is a real issue that needs to be addressed.

Journeyman

UGH! Noticed yesterday in bottom left of my Google branded.  This is phone #2.  Best Buy replaced #1 because it was within the first 30 days.  I'm 3 months in to phone #2.  Will try the Sprint repair tomorrow.  Wish me luck.

Journeyman

Had my phone for a couple of months and had no problems with dust until today when I had my phone in bright sunshine - lots of dust in lower left corner. I can not see the dust when I am not in bright sunshine. So if you have never seen dust before, check it out in the sun.

Journeyman

My phone(with Google on the back) used about 2 weeks, and noticed yesterday that there is dust under the screen. My iPhone had the same thing, so it is not exclusive to the Hero. None the less I might be stuck with it as I am over my 30 days. This was a back up phone that I didn't use daily until about 1 week ago.

Message was edited by: cajunrph

Journeyman

I give up on trying to get Sprint to fix this for me.  Called HTC, they said they will repair it, but cannot give me a phone as a loaner.  I bought a Blackberry 8830 from eBay this afternoon (for $50, score!), as soon as it arrives, sending the Hero to HTCville so the manufacturer can fix what they didn't get right.

Journeyman

And update for you Hero owners.

I got a call from HTC today telling me Sprint has a process in place now for the dust under the screen issue for my Hero. (I have a Nexus One now but I digress.)  He instructed me to take the phone to the Sprint store and they would "process" the phone for me.

There you go!  Official acceptance of the issue from HTC/Sprint.

Journeyman

I can vouch for apogee. I just got the call too. HTC said that the procedure will remove any existing dust and make sure it never happens again.

Journeyman

An official response is one that comes from Sprint or HTC to the general public...

EDIT:

Just called the Glendale, CA store.  They don't know anything about any official fix.  Also, they don't know anything about an official problem.

Message was edited by: ryatziv

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat