cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dust under the screen issue - Please post here if you got it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dust under the screen issue - Please post here if you got it.

As you may know, some people have an issue where dust is getting under their screen.

There is a rumor, and I stress rumor, that Hero's with the Google branding don't seem to have this issue because of a better screen fit.  Personally, I'm not buying it because no one has been able to provide photos.  However, some of us would like to start collecting data on this issue.

If you have dust getting under your screen, please post here and state your device "version" (i.e. the branding on the back of the Hero)

• HTC-only branded
  • Google branded

Thanks for your participation.

367 REPLIES 367
Highlighted
Journeyman

NotReady4PrimeTime wrote:

Why should it cost if it is a manufacturing defect?  Didn't I see something about Sprint now honoring the manufacturers warranties at Corp stores?  If so it seems that there should be no charge to take care of is an obvious design flaw on the part of the manufacturer.

Totally agree with you, but I haven't been able to get my hands on any documentation that states this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

izzyks, just so I am clear, which part can you not find documentation on?  If the question is wether Sprint honors manufacturers warranties the fight is completely different than the question of wether this is a manufacturers defect.

I am starting to think this will be declared a manufactureres defect in late October 2010, so that the early adopters get burned.

Highlighted
Journeyman

NotReady4PrimeTime wrote:

izzyks, just so I am clear, which part can you not find documentation on?  If the question is wether Sprint honors manufacturers warranties the fight is completely different than the question of wether this is a manufacturers defect.

I am starting to think this will be declared a manufactureres defect in late October 2010, so that the early adopters get burned.

....the replacing for FREE part if you go to a Sprint store.I'll update this post again when I have more concrete details. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Honestly anything less than free would be contrary to the warranty on the package.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey Folks! Yeah,i got dust. I actually got some the 1st or 2nd day I got my Hero. That was a first as far as cell phones go. I don't think of it as a minor issue because if the dust keeps accumulating, there's nothing we end users can do to remedy the situation. Sprint should correct the defect and issue new phones to those requesting it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My husband and I bought our Sprint HTC Hero phones with Google yesterday at BB. His phone doesn't appear to have any dust yet, but mine has one obnoxious peice of dust in the center of the screen and several small particles in the upper left corner, and lower middle to right area. The manufacturing date of my phone is 1/26/10.

I tried for nearly 45 minutes to talk to someone at BB about it, but was never able to get through, which is typical for that store. I'm going to the store tomorrow to address the issue. Hopefully they will replace my phone. It's unacceptable to have such flaws the day after it came out of the box. I'm ordering a silicone case to try to prevent additional dust issues. I will also be calling my local Sprint repair shop to see what they know or can do to help the issue, but after reading all the posts in this forum I'm not holding my breath.

I'll post an update after I try to address this issue tomorrow.

UPDATE: 2/26/10

I finally spoke to someone at BB and was told I could exchange my phone for a new one. Today I spoke with a Sprint guy at a mall kiosk and he told me that all the phones from BB are refurbished, and that was why I had dust in my phone. He also said that Sprint won't cover phones for 12 months unless they're bought from Sprint or W-mart. The Hero on W-mart's website is $60 per phone! I started freaking out that I had a refurbished phone that Sprint would not repair past 30 days and that I had spent $40 more per phone than I should have, so I went home and made phone calls.

First I called Sprint Customer Service and they told me they had never heard of what the kiosk guy told me, but I could take a number of steps to return the phones and buy from W-mart if I wanted to. Then I called my local Sprint store with repair shop (on Olive Blvd in STL). The Sprint guy there told me the kiosk guy from the mall didn't know what he was  talking about, and I should steer clear of mall Sprint guys because  they're not associated with a corporate store. According to the  Sprint store guy, as long as I have a Sprint phone with a Sprint Plan  then my phone will be covered for a year.

Both Sprint Customer Service and the Sprint store guy said that Best Buy is  an authorized dealer and unless the box or phone says "refurbished" on  it the phones are brand new. The Sprint store guy also told me that he knew about the dust problem, and that they just take the phones apart (after they're 30 days old), and blow the dust out of them. He made it sound like no big deal. Finally, I called W-mart, but the deal was too good to be true. $60 per phone + $36 activation fees per phone + Requirement to buy new phone for each line of our plan (3 phones) AND no in-store options. Booooo

Message was edited by: izzybelle927

Highlighted
Journeyman

Bought mine on 02/04/10.  Just now noticing dust under the screen on mine as well.  From what I can tell from this thread, getting the screen replaced is the best solution rather than a new phone, correct?

Highlighted
Journeyman

You are still within your 30 days, run, don't walk, RUN to your store and get a new phone...neither Sprint nor HTC is doing a good consistent job addressing this issue.  scroll up, i'm still fighting with HTC about the phone they "fixed" and sent back to me with MORE dust.

...you might as well get replacements while you can, until they figure out what they are going to do for this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree, Return it and get a different phone. This is your best option.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got my Hero from Radioshack last week, and is experiencing multiple dust spots, mostly in corners and some even in the middle of the screen!  I took it back to Radioshack and they denied me the 30 day exchange policy swap, because they said that "this is not a known issue" and "nobody's returned a Hero due to dust problems yet" and that it's very "normal" for phones to get dust under screens.  This is utter BS if others can get it swapped out from BB with no problems, why is Radioshack giving me excuses for not letting me exchange it?  Should I take it into a service repair center and just let them try to fix it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

andyywockeez wrote:

I got my Hero from Radioshack last week, and is experiencing multiple dust spots, mostly in corners and some even in the middle of the screen!  I took it back to Radioshack and they denied me the 30 day exchange policy swap, because they said that "this is not a known issue" and "nobody's returned a Hero due to dust problems yet" and that it's very "normal" for phones to get dust under screens.  This is utter BS if others can get it swapped out from BB with no problems, why is Radioshack giving me excuses for not letting me exchange it?  Should I take it into a service repair center and just let them try to fix it?

If I were you I'd print hard copy of the first and last page of this thread (to show the time span), plus a couple of the posts where people quoted HTC's acknowledgement of the problem. Bring those with you to Radio Shack and politely insist they swap your phone. Even better - if it's a possibility - get your money back and pick up a phone at Best Buy. If nothing else it'll restart your 30-day clock in case the replacement develops a similar problem.

And if Radio Shack still balks at doing something, you might point out the number of people who've read this thread - well over 45,000 - and remind them about the concept of negative vs. positive publicity for their company.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I recently got dust under my screen too... I took it in to our corporate store locally and none of them had a clue that the issue existed. However they said I fall into the manufacturer warranty and they could replace it with a refurbished phone only. I bought my phone for full price and I am in the mindset that I shouldn't get something used for something that failed due to defective design. I allowed them to order my replacement, but I came home and decided that I'd try to clean it myself using canned air and a microfiber cloth. It took maybe 15 minutes.... if you have steady hands and can use a screwdriver you might want to try it.

http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/22036-sprint-htc-hero-disassembly-diy.html

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat