cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dust under the screen issue - Please post here if you got it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dust under the screen issue - Please post here if you got it.

As you may know, some people have an issue where dust is getting under their screen.

There is a rumor, and I stress rumor, that Hero's with the Google branding don't seem to have this issue because of a better screen fit.  Personally, I'm not buying it because no one has been able to provide photos.  However, some of us would like to start collecting data on this issue.

If you have dust getting under your screen, please post here and state your device "version" (i.e. the branding on the back of the Hero)

• HTC-only branded
  • Google branded

Thanks for your participation.

367 REPLIES 367
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have dust under my screen, back of phone says HTC.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mine says HTC, wife's phone says with Google. They are treated quite equally and she doesn't have the problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Our three phones are branded "with Google".  My theory is that the dust is related to keeping the phone in a pocket vs a purse since I have dust and my purse keeping wife and sister with the same phones don't have dust.   My theory is that keeping the phone in my pocket results in a small amount of flex on the screen that creates a vacuum sucking pocket dust in through a bad seal in the corners of the display.  The dust is very observeable in good lighting (especially outdoors!) with the screen on or off.  I hope Sprint and HTC address and fix this obvious design oversight  soon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

sorry tmuka but your theory is wrong. After learning about this issue I returned my first Hero and myself and the sales rep went through a bunch of new Heros in boxes and I'd say 3-4 out of 7 had dust under the glass and the phones had never even been opened by a customer.

Has a Sprint Admin/Employee ever responded to this thread?? I notice they respond to issues/updates occasionally, but I don't remember seeing a response from them in this thread.

Highlighted
Journeyman

wow, that's horrible.  i guess your findings reveals that it's a QC issue and the quality of the seal varies from phone to phone. Maybe the amount of dust is not soley related to where the phone is kept, but it certainly seems external factors do make a difference, whether on the consumer end or manufacturing/packaging.

Highlighted
Journeyman

it's been 6 days and a manger from HTC hasn't called me (was told 24-72 hours), i'm terribly disappointed with both Sprint and HTC.

Highlighted
Journeyman

None of our phones are more than a year old. We are able to get replacements with refurbs and screen dust is obviously one of the Hero's issues... we're all going to have to accept that. You basically have two choices: a) keep getting refurb phones and deal with the dust as it comes or b) take 10 minutes of your day and learn to clean the screen. Only posting negative complaints here isn't going to make Sprint or HTC do anything for you. HTC apparently is acknowledging the problem and letting us have replacement phones... they dont even have to do that. I'm not happy that mine had the issue as well but I feel well prepared for if it happens again now that I've spent the time tearing the phone apart.

Highlighted
Journeyman

dfbonney wrote:

None of our phones are more than a year old. We are able to get replacements with refurbs and screen dust is obviously one of the Hero's issues... we're all going to have to accept that. You basically have two choices: a) keep getting refurb phones and deal with the dust as it comes or b) take 10 minutes of your day and learn to clean the screen. Only posting negative complaints here isn't going to make Sprint or HTC do anything for you. HTC apparently is acknowledging the problem and letting us have replacement phones... they dont even have to do that. I'm not happy that mine had the issue as well but I feel well prepared for if it happens again now that I've spent the time tearing the phone apart.

I would LOVE a refurb, where/how do I get one?  I've been dealing directly with HTC and they won't do it...Sprint refuses to touch it...please tell me how to get a refurb.

Highlighted
Journeyman

"Only posting negative complaints here isn't going to make Sprint or HTC do anything for you."

lol what?? sharing your negative story about your phone on Sprint's website won't get us anywhere? this is one of the steps that I would consider important in trying to get an issue resolved and also most people seem to be proactive with contacting HTC and Sprint directly.

if you follow this thread you will actually see that HTC is claiming there is an absolute fix for this problem, but not one person who heard this from HTC (including myself) has received the same feedback from Sprint CS or a Sprint Repair Center. Sprint and HTC can not afford to take care of this matter 100%, if they could there would be much more contribution from the Sprint side, hence my point that 20 pages deep and zero Sprint Admin/Employee responses. this is on their own website FFS, it's not like this 20 page thread is on some random website. the cost to take care of this issue would be astronomical if all affected phones were returned/fixed; again, it would hurt the bottom line too much for them to respond to this Manufacturer Defect.

I don't even care about the dust anymore, but Sprint apologists and/or people who discount the annoyance of this issue should stay out of this thread.

Highlighted
Journeyman

"I would LOVE a refurb, where/how do I get one?  I've been dealing directly with HTC and they won't do it...Sprint refuses to touch it...please tell me how to get a refurb."

haha exactly my point, unless you're within the 30 days, good luck getting a replacement.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is what I did even though I didnt accept my refurb.

I went to my local sprint store (where I bought the phone, did you buy your phone from sprint?).

I spoke with the first person available and told them my issue, they looked at me like I was nuts. I showed them the phone and they agreed that there was obviously dust under my glass. They looked up my phone number and said I'm not within my 30 days (since I bought mine on release day) but I am within my manufacturer warranty. They were able to place an order for a refurbished phone, they would not work on my phone as some of the others in this forum have had happen.

Highlighted
Journeyman

dfbonney, similar to people who don't have dust, just simply consider yourself lucky because trust me your experience is not across the board. I've been to 3 different stores (2 repair centers) and they also looked at me like I was crazy, but not just for the dust issue, but for also caring about the dust.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat