cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dust under the screen issue - Please post here if you got it.

Journeyman

Re: Dust under the screen issue - Please post here if you got it.

dfbonney wrote:

This is what I did even though I didnt accept my refurb.

I went to my local sprint store (where I bought the phone, did you buy your phone from sprint?).

I spoke with the first person available and told them my issue, they looked at me like I was nuts. I showed them the phone and they agreed that there was obviously dust under my glass. They looked up my phone number and said I'm not within my 30 days (since I bought mine on release day) but I am within my manufacturer warranty. They were able to place an order for a refurbished phone, they would not work on my phone as some of the others in this forum have had happen.

My Sprint store told me that it was cosmetic and since my phone could still amke phone calls, there was nothing wrong with it.

The customer service representatives from Sprint also told me the same thing when I called them.

This is the problem, there is no consistency dealing with this issue.  SOme people get a refurb, some people get their phones fixed at a Sprint repair facility...some people (me) send their phones to HTCs repair facility and get it back dirty with MORE dust in it.

Pretty sure I'm paying my ETF and getting a million miles away from Sprint, I can't take this anymore.

Journeyman

I'm out of my 30 day as well.  Sprint is sending a refurbished phone to my local store and said that it will be there tomorrow.  All at ZERO cost to me.  Not sure this will solve the issue though, I'm afraid I will end up with a refurbished phone that gets dust under the screen.  I was also told my HTC that I can send my phone to them and they could fix the issue and of course I would be paying shipping.

Journeyman

"My Sprint store told me that it was cosmetic and since my phone could still amke phone calls, there was nothing wrong with it."

I wouldn't accept that as a resolution. (not much we can do about it regardless) Especially since this is a smart phone. This device does way more than just make calls. For people who use their phone for work in the field, I would say it is absolutely essential they have an unobstructed view of the screen. I don't know about how bad yours is, but mine is almost unreadable in high light due to the dust shining back.

The dust is not as much a problem with a basic phone. This is a "mechanical defect". Not a "cosmetic" issue. That is what Sprint does not seem to understand.

Here's a trick I learned. Customer service reps are not typically allowed to hang up on you unless you verbally abuse them... I've frustrated many a phone reps to the point they give in. It's actually kindof fun, especialy when they are stuck between a business policy and customer retention.

Journeyman

I agree that inconsistency is unacceptable and that really sucks... try it again, direct them to this forum? Send it to me and I'll fix it

Journeyman

Another one...

I noticed dust under my brand new Sprint HTC Hero's screen after only 4 days of use.

From dialing ##786#, "Manufacturers Date" shows 27/1/2010.

Also, the back cover reads "with Google"

I discovered numerous dust particles in the upper right of the screen.  I was out of town for a few days and the problem kept getting worse.

Journeyman

Re: Another one...

has anyone tried to contact The Better Business Bureau?... that might be my next step.

Journeyman

Re: Another one...

I noticed a ton of dust in the upper right corner a few days ago when I used the phone in sunlight.

Customer service couldn't help, so I'll be going to the local store this weekend.

Journeyman

Just packaged mine up yesterday and had it UPS to HTC.  Was told by HTC that they have a permanent fix for the issue if I was willing to pay inbound shipping and be without my phone for a week or so.  It HTC can truly PERMANENTLY fix this for me, I have no issue with paying a few bucks to have it shipped.  I'm now back to my crappy old Katana, FTL.  I MISS YOU ALREADY HERO,PLEASE COME BACK CLEAN AND SHINY AND SEALED UP TIGHT!!!!

Journeyman

peck1524 wrote:

Just packaged mine up yesterday and had it UPS to HTC.  Was told by HTC that they have a permanent fix for the issue if I was willing to pay inbound shipping and be without my phone for a week or so.  It HTC can truly PERMANENTLY fix this for me, I have no issue with paying a few bucks to have it shipped.  I'm now back to my crappy old Katana, FTL.  I MISS YOU ALREADY HERO,PLEASE COME BACK CLEAN AND SHINY AND SEALED UP TIGHT!!!!

best of luck...i was told the same thing, came back filthy with more dust

Journeyman

lol @ having to pay to ship a defective phone to the manufacturer

......and double lol if it comes back in the condition Dwayne described, this is EPIC FAIL and it is sincerely entertaining

still no word from a Sprint Admin/Employee in this thread?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow. Maybe I'm just lucky but I've had my Hero since 10/9 and have yet to see any dust.

Journeyman

Hey Dwayne, what was the turnaround time from HTC on getting your phone back?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat