cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dust under the screen issue - Please post here if you got it.

Journeyman

Re: Dust under the screen issue - Please post here if you got it.

This sucks. I just switched from AT&T Iphone to Sprint because I thought the service would be better and the phone nicer. Its cheaper then AT&T but I am hearing a lot of issues about the Hero and now Its got me worried I made the wrong choice. I mean Sprint is still $30 cheaper than AT&T, but if I am going to be screwed with a bad phone I wont be happy. I was looking at the Samsung Moment, the only other Touchscreen I like in that price range but I have heard bad reviews about that also. And I dont like the external keyboard that gets loose and wobbly after a while..

I dont know what to do. I ordered last night through Telesales and should get my phone soon. It sucks cause they said they dont deliver on weekends..whch means  will prob get it by Wendsay , I hope sooner they said 2-5 business days. I have 30 days to try it out..only thing is I have to sell the Iphone to get cash to put back on my credit card for the Hero purchase. If I sell the Iphone ans cancel ATT and the Hero turns out to be junk im screwed.  :/

Journeyman

My experience: the Hero's good but not great. Not as fast as the iPhone 3Gs by a mile. But, I hate AT&T and I don't like Apple's policy on iPhone apps so it's worth it to me. If you can wait a bit longer I would return your Hero and wait for one of the newer phones with the Snapdraggon processor (either the Nexus One or the EVO... but don't count on Sprint's 4G service unless you live in a major city).

Journeyman

I was using a Iphone 3G not the new 3Gs

I was paying $102.99 with AT&T and had NO Unlimited minutes. Im paying about $63.00 now with Sprint for their Unlimited data, minutes and txt . I switched to save money I dont wish to stay with them until May or June when the new HTC phone comes out .I read on this post that someone sent the phone into Sprint to have the screen tightened up so If I see any dust Ill have to decide weather to do that, or switch to the Moment.

I had to swap my Iphone out 2-3 times when I got it cause of issues as well. I see some Sprint users are on their 4-5th HTC Hero. Why do they keep picking the same phone and having the same issue?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Honestly, I can say the HTC Hero is the best phone I've owned. It may seem like a lot of people are having problems (and I'm sure they are) because you're on a message board reading about them, but I'm sure a lot aren't also. I'm still on my first Hero, no dust, and I got mine two days before it officially released. And with the update, whenever you guys who haven't rooted will be getting it will make it A LOT better. Android 2.1 is way faster than 1.5 and is definitely up to par with the iPhone speed. Haven't went back to 1.5 since I started using 2.1.

Journeyman

For what it's worth, I'm on my second Hero - and that's only because the tech at the Sprint store broke the chrome trim ring on the first when he was cleaning some dust and they don't stock any spare parts.

I don't think Heroes have as many problems as they seem to here on this forum. This is the forum where people complain about their Heroes... most owners have no reason to ever come here.

Anyway, you will enjoy your Hero. Don't use any task killers, be aware that certain apps that like to run in the background (Where, ShopSavvy, Locale, etc) will slow the phone down a bit, and don't worry about the lag as it will be mostly erased when we get the 2.1 update next month.

Enjoy.

Journeyman

Ive heard a lot of people mention that, What do you mean by 'rooted" the phone?

Journeyman

remission wrote:

Ive heard a lot of people mention that, What do you mean by 'rooted" the phone?

By default, you are a "user" on the phone and not an "administrator." This means you can't go in and alter system files, install a new OS, etc.

"Root" is the name of the default administrator account on a Linux system, which the Hero uses as its operating system. "Rooting" the phone is the process of exploiting a system security flaw and gaining "root access" to the device. Once you have root access, you can do many more things with the phone, including installing a new recovery partition, installing a new OS, and using apps that access or modify system files.

The rooting process is fairly straightforward for the Hero. You basically download a file, then run it using a terminal session. Getting the right drivers set up to be able to open a terminal session using your computer can be a little tricky - some people find it "just works" and some have to jump through hoops to get the drivers installed.

The main upsides are: installing custom ROMs, using programs (like WiFiTether) that require root access, and being able to take complete system backups. It can be very time consuming, so if you're interested in tinkering with your phone at all it's a good idea. Otherwise, don't waste your time.

Journeyman

Yea Im not that quite a techie at this sort of stuff, so I would prob end up doing one thing wrong and breaking the phone lol

Journeyman

It's virtually impossible to completely break the phone, even if you try. But if you're not at all technically inclined and/or not really interested in spending a lot of time modifying the phone then you probably want to avoid rooting.

Journeyman

No, sometimes I do enjoy messing with stuff like that. Im not "too" technical but if theres a good walkthrough then I can usually understand it. I like customizing my phone and it looks like this phone is able to be customized a lot. Are there any good newbie walkthroughs online for using and customizing the phone kind of like what they have for jailbreaking the Iphone? I know Youtube has some stuff which is how I learned to jailbreak this Iphone before.

Journeyman

Oh absolutely. Most, if not all, of the customizing you can do without rooting will be pretty obvious as you use it: adding, removing, installing widgets, changing notification options, installing apps, etc.

This is, IMO, the best guide to rooting:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=583291

It's pretty straightforward and tough to mess up. Just follow the commands exactly once you're able to get a shell. My best tip for easily getting the shell is to download and install HTC Sync, then select "HTC Sync" mode when you plug the phone in via USB.

Oh, and silly me, I forgot that there was an auto-rooter out there. I've never tried it:

http://geekfor.me/kitchen/

Message was edited by: jonnythan

Journeyman

Great thanks. Cant wait to get the phone so I can mess with it. It sucks they dont ship on weekends, so I wont get it until about Tues, Wed prob :/

Im looking forward to seeing how the multitasking works, There is none really on the Iphone. Hated using AIM or other programs and having it run all slow because I wanted to switch back and forth between internet and Facebook while chatting. I was told thats all intergrated on this phone right? So you can hop back and forth without really a lag?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat