cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dust under the screen issue - Please post here if you got it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dust under the screen issue - Please post here if you got it.

As you may know, some people have an issue where dust is getting under their screen.

There is a rumor, and I stress rumor, that Hero's with the Google branding don't seem to have this issue because of a better screen fit.  Personally, I'm not buying it because no one has been able to provide photos.  However, some of us would like to start collecting data on this issue.

If you have dust getting under your screen, please post here and state your device "version" (i.e. the branding on the back of the Hero)

• HTC-only branded
  • Google branded

Thanks for your participation.

367 REPLIES 367
Highlighted
Journeyman

How long ago was the new phone activated? Sometimes it takes up to a day for all of the apps to show backup, when I switched phones it did the same to me. Also did you use the same username and password on this phone as you did on the last? You can also log into google from a computer and see your purcheses that you made threw there. Let me know if you need anything else.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I wasn't about to read through 20+ pages of posts to see if anyone has said this, so if this is a repeat, sorry!

I got my Hero on release day and had dust under the screen within the week. It finally got so bad a couple months ago that I quit putting it off and tried to do something about it. After talking with my reps at the local Sprint store, I decided to send it back to HTC. It was covered under warranty and listed as a manufacturer defect. All I had to do was be willing to ship my phone out to HTC (on my own dime) and wait 2 weeks for its return to me; the repair was free.

I was upset that I was going to be without my phone for 2 weeks, but when I got it back and it was clean, it was worth it. It's now been over a month and I have absolutely no new dust under the screen. If you're able to go this route, I highly recommend it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've had that problem with my original Hero and both of my replacements.....all with Google branding.  Each of my phones had massive amounts of dust from all 4 corners of the screen, right to the center....and this was with Zaggs full body Invisible Shield covering them.  Sprint told me they would credit my account for the cost of the replacing the Shields, but as of yet, I've not received a credit, nor have I gotten an email reply back from them.

I spoke with someone at HTC on Twitter, and they said that the problem stemmed from something Sprint did in modifying the phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Google Branded phone with dust in the bottom left corner about the menu button. I took mine to the repair store, and they "cleaned" it for me. That was a month ago, and it's now as bad as when it was first cleaned. I purchased mine in Nov. 2009.

This phone is so disappointing. I love Android, but my Hero is a Zero.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had dust start in the bottom left corner... spread up about 1/5th of the way up and to the right.

I took it to the Sprint store and 30 minutes later they handed it back to me perfectly clean.

Great job Sprint!! (The store in Roseville, MI!)

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have had mine since Dec 11 2009. With google on back. Not a speck of dust anyplace. I have zagg i think its spelled and called body and screen cover. so I don't know if that saved mine or not. I hope the the evo dont have it since we are paying a $10 extra for LOL this so called premium experience they so called say. yeah premium blah blah blah. so I'm shutting my account down pay the ETF and going to start one up under my daughters .. She gets 31% off of her bill from where she works. I only get 20% off. yes its 31% im serious they have a big big contract with Sprint for 3 more years.

Give Me EvO Or Give Me DEATH!! Well maybe not death but a parking ticket or something!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Google branded - after 7 weeks.  Best Buy phone.  Had a Zagg cover- entire phone from day one - doesd not help the issue.  HTC repaired under warranty.

Message was edited by: sixpac1961

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know its the hero forum but I think this is more of an HTC problem, so I'm complaining here - dust under screen (EVO 4G) in less than a month.  Sprint needs to have HTC figure something out about this, if they're serious about this so called customer service turnaround.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Are you still happy with the repair / replacement or has it got the problem as well?

Highlighted
Journeyman

My EVO has it as well. I am going to swap it out as soon as radio shack gets some in stock.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the Hero, and I recently had to return mine for a replacement because of a problem with the speaker.  They gave me another one, and within a week, I have dust under the phone.  I brought it right back and the guy said he could clean it for me as a courtesy, but he recommended not doing this because it would void the warranty.  He told me to contact the insurance company because I pay to have it insured.  I asked him why he wouldn't take this back considering it is obviously a defect with the way it is sealed (I stressed the fact that it came out of a box 6 days ago).  He said, "I'm not authorized to send it in for something like that."

Does anyone know if this is the case that they are not authorized to invoke the warranty or classify the phone as "defective" over this issue?  I have read on this thread that people have had their phone replaced because of something like this.

Also, what does it mean to have a Google branded phone?  Are there really two different Heros out there?!?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got mine repaired for the cost of shipping by HTC. All I did was call HTC's customer service and explained the problem. They gave me a RMA number and in two weeks, I got my phone back dust free. It has been dust free since, so I'd highly recommend this if you can afford being without your phone for two weeks.

Early versions of the hero don't have "with Google" printed on the back cover. All new ones do. From what I know, that's the only difference.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat