cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dust under the screen issue - Please post here if you got it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Dust under the screen issue - Please post here if you got it.

Well, I've been going back and forth between HTC, Sprint, and Best Buy, where I bought my phone. This is my 2nd Hero to have dust under the screen. Thought I'd post my messages back and forth with HTC:

HTC: Hello John, Thank you for your time on the phone this morning. Concerning your current HTC Hero for Sprint, I would like to address the report of dust under your screen. Since the manufacture date of the device is December 31st, it should not be affected by the same issue that allowed dust under the screen of the first run of this model. Since you reported that your current phone was provided to you with the button panel loose, then that appears to be the main factor in the dust that you notice towards the bottom of your screen. I will let you know if there is any further information that I can learn about the repair process through Sprint facilities. Thank you, Ryan HTC Technical Support www.htc.com/us

ME: I went back to Best Buy, but because it's over the 30 day period, they say I would have to send my phone in for repair, which could take close to 3 weeks. I called Sprint Customer Support, and they called the repair center I went to, and they only confirmed that they are unable to make repairs on this phone. I really would like to get this resolved, without having to be without my phone for several weeks. Any additional help you can give me would certainly be appreciated.

HTC: Hello John, Thank you for your response. I understand how important it is to be able to keep your phone. However, if Best Buy will not replace the phone, then I have two suggestions. First, you may contact our repair center at 877-293-0807, but will require sending in your device. Otherwise, according to my Sprint representative, the Sprint Service and Repair centers are supposed to take care of repairs within the first year. I hope that we have addressed your question in detail. Ryan HTC Technical Support www.htc.com/us

ME: I would really like for someone at HTC to contact my Sprint store, and give them the steps, tools, parts, etc. required to make the repair locally. Is there any way that can be done? That way - the most I might have to be without my device is a day... The store in question is: Sprint Store by Adcomm Digitel. Thanks so much for your help with this!

HTC: Hello John, I called your local repair center concerning repairs to a Sprint Hero. They stated that they did not have the process yet, but in cases where they could not repair phones then they will replace the phone if possible. This is consistent with what the procedure for Sprint Service and Repair centers as I was told from my headquarters. I hope that we have addressed your question in detail. Ryan HTC Technical Supportwww.htc.com/us

Bottom line - although HTC says they have sent the fix to Sprint (which I hear involves swapping out the screen for one that has better foam pads along the side to block out the dust), obviously Sprint has not sent this fix out to local stores (I called a 2nd repair facility 70 miles away - true Sprint owned service facility, and got the same reply).

So....what to do - have Sprint send me a refurb, which will probably not have the fix made, and may be an older build than the phone I have, or hang onto mine, with the hope that they can make the repair in a couple of months?

Would I be able to use the ##786# before activating the replacement phone to get the details on the phone they send me? That way I'd be able to check to make sure the phone they send at least has the fix for the dust problem (HTC has told me the production was revised sometime in the fall, after the end of October).

Highlighted
Master

Quote;

HTC: Hello John, I called your local repair center concerning repairs to a Sprint Hero. They stated that they did not have the process yet, but in cases where they could not repair phones then they will replace the phone if possible. This is consistent with what the procedure for Sprint Service and Repair centers as I was told from my headquarters. I hope that we have addressed your question in detail.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well in this case I would go to the local repair center they called and ask for a device with the manufacture date of the device is December 31st or newer, they already told you they could not fix yours. Since that is what they told HTC and HTC's Headquarters told him. Sprint is to honor the one year manufactures warrenty in store as of April 2009.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Best Buy 1760439 3210 said sorry after 30 days, told me to call HTC 1866 449 8358. HTC said to call Sprint *2, Sprint said to call repair center 760 632 3500. Repair center said we don't/can't fix these phones, call sprint for advance replacement so you don't have to go without a phone. Sprint said sorry you did not buy our warranty, call HTC. HTC said give us your phone for 3 weeks+/- and we will fix it at no charge if it's our fault but you will be out the use of the phone and shipping for this service. They do not do replacements they said, that is a carrier option.

You should have bought another brand and went with another carrier.

It kills me to say this but I sould have baught IPHONE

IPHONE

IPHONE

IPHONE

IPHONE

IPHONE

I hate IPHONE

Highlighted
Journeyman

Below is what I got from HTC when I complained about dust.

========================================================

Dear Valued Customer,

Please use the following information to send your unit in for repair.

The RMA for your order is: *****

Please ship your unit to the following address:
M.C. Service Partners
1850 Lakeland Ave
Ronkonkoma, NY 11779

SHIPPING DISCLOSURE
Please follow the directions below when preparing your unit for shipment:
1. Remove and keep all accessories including battery, battery cover,
cradle, charger, cases, SD card, and stylus.
2. Use proper packaging to avoid shipping damage.  We strongly recommend
applying shipping insurance as HTC is not liable for inbound shipping
damage or loss.
3. Print a copy of this e-mail and include with your unit.
4. If available, please provide a copy of your proof of purchase.
5. Clearly write the RMA# on the front of package.
6. We recommend using a shipping method that will provide you with a
tracking number. You will be responsible for in-bound shipping charges.

REPAIR DISCLOSURE
1. Units to be returned without repair will be charged a triage fee of
$28.00. This includes technical assessment and diagnosis.
2. Please back up all data before shipping to our repair center. Please
remove your SIM card.
3. There is a 90-day warranty on all repairs made. The 90-day warranty
applies only to repeat return cases with the same functional failure
symptom and same parts for replacement.

REPAIR PROCESS
Once our repair facility receives your unit, we will evaluate the problem
symptom(s) on the unit.  A customer care representative will contact you
via phone and discuss the problem symptoms and/or suggested repair services
and provide a repair quotation for each service rendered.  You can choose
to have the phone returned to you without repair, but a triage fee of
$28.00 will be assessed.  Should you choose to release your phone for
repair based on the recommended services, our customer care representatives
will process your payment via phone.

If you want to check on the status of repair or service on your HTC unit,
please contact us at 1-877-293-0807.  Please do not reply via e-mail as
this is a no-reply account.

Thank you for choosing HTC! Your business is much appreciated!

HTC Customer Care Department
1-877-293-0807
M-F 8AM - 8PM EST

Highlighted
Journeyman

Levi4u wrote:

Quote;

HTC: Hello John, I called your local repair center concerning repairs to a Sprint Hero. They stated that they did not have the process yet, but in cases where they could not repair phones then they will replace the phone if possible. This is consistent with what the procedure for Sprint Service and Repair centers as I was told from my headquarters. I hope that we have addressed your question in detail.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well in this case I would go to the local repair center they called and ask for a device with the manufacture date of the device is December 31st or newer, they already told you they could not fix yours. Since that is what they told HTC and HTC's Headquarters told him. Sprint is to honor the one year manufactures warrenty in store as of April 2009.

HTC told him "December 31st or newer" = no dust? That's ineresting since my 2nd Hero is dated 1/1/2010 - bought at Best Buy on Feb 11 - and I started seeing debris under the screen after a week of use. Sure hope mine doesn't have the alleged fix.

Highlighted
Journeyman

How do I find the manufacture date on the Hero?

Highlighted
Journeyman

To find your maufacturing date, go to the phone-dial screen and tap in ##786# (no need to touch 'Call'). The command will bring up a screen full of phone details; Manufacturers Date is about halfway down the list.

Stupid fat-fingered typo edited by: bc2k

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you!  Mine says 20/1/2010

Highlighted
Journeyman

My 50th birthday was 1/20/10!  That's gotta be a great phone!

I've decided to swap my phone out for a refurb - guess I will check the build date before I activate it!

Highlighted
Journeyman

@bc2k - where was your dust collecting?  My phone from 12/31 was supposed to have the replaced screen that fixed the dust issue, but my button panel at the bottom of the phone is loose (noticed that when Best Buy gave it to me in January, so I should have refused it then), and I think that's where the dust has come in...the dust is in the lower right corner.

Message was edited by: jhilker

Highlighted
Journeyman

If I may, I saw a demo in the best buy store and it had the button panel removed, I assume due to so many people trying it out. It did not appear to be connected in anyway to the screen compartment. I saw no way for dust to migrate as it was a seperate compartment. The metal plate is just glued on from what I could see. This allows it to float. I could be wrong, it was a demo.

Highlighted
Journeyman

jhilker wrote:

@bc2k - where was your dust collecting?  My phone from 12/31 was supposed to have the replaced screen that fixed the dust issue, but my button panel at the bottom of the phone is loose (noticed that when Best Buy gave it to me in January, so I should have refused it then), and I think that's where the dust has come in...the dust is in the lower right corner.

Message was edited by: jhilker

Hi, in the 1/1/2010 phone it's in the lower left. Mid-December phone was upper right. Button panel was "loose" on both phones, though maybe not to the same degree you're feeling. There's just a little horizontal play in the panel.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat