cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dust under the screen issue - Please post here if you got it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Dust under the screen issue - Please post here if you got it.

Manufactured 10/30/09. Google logo on the battery cover. Purchased over the phone with Sprint and received the my Hero on 10 Nov. I bought the silicon HTC branded case w/ lanyard at Best Buy a week after getting the phone. I have no dust under the screen. I love my HTC Hero... My wife is getting jealous. She thinks I love the phone more than her. She might be right... I think we will update her phone to the Hero too, maybe then she will understand.

Message was edited by: thatjerk

Message was edited by: thatjerk

Highlighted
Wizard

DRATS!

I have had my Hero since Oct. 9th and so far have not had a dust issue.....until this morning.  Dust under the bottom left corner of the screen.  It isn't too bad now, but I am sure that it will get worse.  How disappointing, I was hoping I had a cherry of a phone.

I will monitor how bad it gets and go into a Sprint store once I can't take it anymore......which will be soon.

Clearly almost every Hero has had this problem, I think a recall is in order from HTC.

Highlighted
Journeyman

yep - my first phone ("not" with google) got a LOT of dust under the screen

took it back

new phone - (with google) already has a little in it

do NOT want to take it back - its such a hassle to start alllllllllll over again

to the guy squawking about ppl returning their phone due to this dust.... i hear ya

i hated taking it back - i know what that does for a business

but.. i paid money for this phone - it "should" be free of defects

and, we take teh phone back and "ask" them to replace it - and they do ---- no one is holding a gun to their heads, they're replacing our phones willingly

yes, i want google/android, htc and sprint to succeed in the marketplace, but if there is a quality defect in the workmanship and manufacturing of their product, the market is going to reward them appropriately - and returning defective merchandise is an appropriate response --- you better believe their next phone won't get dust under the screen!

Highlighted
Patron

Awe,

I just noticed I have some creeping in there too! Sigh, I wish they had a fix for this...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I updated the month+ long old ticket I have with HTC, they basically responded saying it is still in escalations and that hardware resolutions take longer than software. Meaning if they wait long enough they hope I'll drop it.

Not dropping it. I let them know how my consumer report review will read, and the next message was a more human response. Less of the canned copy/paste I got with the prior two updates.

I'm betting in another month when they still haven't responded I'll be refreshing the ticket yet again.

My co-worker returned his 4th hero to best buy yesterday, and is now on #5 for the dust issue. I refuse to make this best buy's problem for my two hero's. This is HTC/Sprint's blunder. The next time he returns it he'll be citing the lemon law and going for the iPhone I am betting.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have it and my phone is Google branded.

Highlighted
Journeyman

As someone who is debating between the Hero and Moment, this is one issue that does cause me concern.  I wonder if the HTC branded silicon case at Best Buy that thatjerk bought helps prevent the dust issue.  It seems to make a good seal around the screen and edges of the phone.  Perhaps the Zagg protectors would help, too.  And at the same time, buying more products to make your current one work or not have issues is literally throwing money at the problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

the hero I exchanged for a couple weeks ago, now has like 4 dust particles at the top of the screen. I have been using the rubber htc case from best buy, and the phone is in my pocket every day. I am going to go and exchange my phone again today. I just hope that their return policy isn't 30 days from the original phone I purchased, and it is 30 days from the exchange. I would probably just keep this one, but the build quality doesn't seem as good as my first hero, with this one the button cluster at the bottom seems to be uneven with the glass, I can see light through the crack in between the button cluster and the screen, also when I look down the screen at the buttons it is quite a bit higher then the screen, I am almost certain that this was not the case with my first hero. Both heros were with google on the back, the fist one collected dust in the bottom of the screen, this one is starting to collect it at the top...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yep - same problem here. Google branded phone purchased the day Sprint began selling over the phone. I did get some dust and was concerned but was waiting for an official response from Sprint on this. I just called *2 and was told, no, there's no known issue about this. She said that I should take it to a store and see if they can do anything about it. I don't have time this weekend but will try to do that as soon as possible.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You should have provided the rep with a link to this very thread On Their Own Website....silly reps, maybe it wasn't an issue he/she was aware of.

Why aren't they recalling these defective builds? You guys deserve not having to worry about DUST under your touchscreen, EVER...

This problem won't go away until a better build is produced. 2.0 ain't gonna fix it...someone's gotta be banking on the returns, you can bet on that. scam...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I noticed that I have dust under my screen.  My HTC Hero is about two weeks old and it have the "with Google" brand on the back of the battery cover.  It's very slight and only in the lower right coner of the screen above the menu button.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have dust under my screen too.  Bottom left corner, above the Menu key.  I notice a lot when the sunlight shines on the screen, all the dust particles show up, probably 10-15 particles.  But don't notice then indoors at much.  Annoying, will be stopping by a sprint store soon.  I have had the phone since the first day it went on sale, but not sure how long the dust has been there since I notice in sunlight.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat