cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eris vs. Hero

Highlighted
Journeyman

Eris vs. Hero

I played with an Eris today. Boy did it make me like my Hero a little bit less.

First, I've read, and even said myself a few times, that the Eris and Hero are essentially the same phone. And I suppose they are essentially the same, kind of like Humans and Chimpanzees sharing 99% of the same DNA. But that 1% difference sure seems to make a lot of difference. The Eris seemed much, much more smooth. It scrolled from screen to screen and apps seemed to launch faster. The dialer didn't have any lag that I noticed when dialing and the proximity sensor made me able to hang up instantly rather than the 4 hour wait I have now.

Maybe the one I played with was one of those rare exceptional units that has no problems at all. Like the fabled problem less Hero's that I read about on this forum. Maybe it's just my Hero. I thought that I had a fast non laggy one though. Until I played with that Eris...

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: Eris vs. Hero

The eris is a nice phone but to be honest I like the design and silver color of the hero a bit more. The only thing I wish was on the hero are the touch sensitive buttons instead of the hard keys on the face of the hero. As far as lag, my phone is pretty smooth at really not that laggy at all. And thats without using a task killer. If only my texts would come through quicker and more reliably, I would be very very satisfied with it overall.

Patron

I think the main concern here is the software of the phones. Everyone has their preferences on the hardware and color of the phone, and those are MEANT to be different. But the software, well the software is something many expected to be the same for the Hero and the Eris. And this really is not the first time I have heard that the Eris is faster than the Hero. And I too am concerned about that.

I am just crossing my fingers that when 2.1 is release, both phones (software wise) will become balanced. Does anyone think that is a possibilty?

Journeyman

WestSiide wrote:

The eris is a nice phone but to be honest I like the design and silver color of the hero a bit more. The only thing I wish was on the hero are the touch sensitive buttons instead of the hard keys on the face of the hero. As far as lag, my phone is pretty smooth at really not that laggy at all. And thats without using a task killer. If only my texts would come through quicker and more reliably, I would be very very satisfied with it overall.

I like the look of the Hero better too. Even though I did get a black hard shell snap on case. It really looks sweet in black. And I didn't think that my Hero was laggy either, well not too laggy anyway.

That is until I played with this Eris. It had near instant response on everything. The dialer is what impressed me the most. I just hit random keys as fast as I could and it kept up with me instantly. I can kind of get ahead of my Hero sometimes while dialing, and that's tapping keys at a "normal" pace.

Journeyman

If at the dealer it was a virgin phone, no installed apps.  Just like computers, the more running in the background the slower it will be.  I'm guessing if you get ahold of a virgin hero and you will probably see there is a difference between that and your app saturated one you own.  I've noticed the lag gets worse on my hero the more I load it up.

Journeyman

one thing to also make note of is battery size difference. 

eris = 1350mAh

Hero = 1500mAh

Journeyman

qrius wrote:

one thing to also make note of is battery size difference.

eris = 1350mAh

Hero = 1500mAh

True. And we should make note of the memory card size too.

eris = 8GB

Hero = 2MB

Journeyman

We should also compare the cost of service!

Journeyman

True, but a 8gb microsd card these days runs, what, less than $20?

One might pay that much more simply for Verizon's service over 2 months in comparison to Sprint.

Journeyman

qrius wrote:

True, but a 8gb microsd card these days runs, what, less than $20?

One might pay that much more simply for Verizon's service over 2 months in comparison to Sprint.

I was being facetious...hence the winky...

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat