cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exiting Android Applications

Highlighted
Journeyman

Exiting Android Applications

Pressing and holding the home button brings up a list of running tasks (per http://www.htc.com/us/faq_detail.aspx?p_id=300&&act=tt&id=111932).  Until recently I thought that was a list of recently used apps because unless I rebooted it always showed six apps.  Task manager shows there can be as many as 20 tasks running (i.e. Camera, Google Maps, Contact Cards, Messages) after running for a day. 

Since there appears to be no way to 'exit' from most applications, how does Android handle exiting applications?  Aren't the 'inactive' applications affecting performance by taking up system resources? 

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Journeyman

Re: Exiting Android Applications

Check out "Advanced Task Killer" in the marketplace.

Wizard

Yea I'm a little frustrated by this too. Applications are very inconsistent where some have an exit button and others you can only back button out or use the home button.

I'm not sure what the best way is, but a task killer app is about the only way to be sure.  I've been using one called Task Manager which I kind of like as it hides alot of the background processes that pop up with other task killers.

Journeyman

I hope Android 2.0 will address this issue of not being able to exit apps without a 3rd party "task manager". It gets annoying after a while. That's one thing I miss about WinMo.

Journeyman

i wish devs would just put an "exit" command in their apps - that would save everybody some hassle

they don't ALL need to be running ALL of the time (sheesh!)

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat