cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally Happened to Me

Journeyman

Finally Happened to Me

After having no problems with my Hero since I bought it (including lag and awake time and no dust under screen) I woke up this morning to find that the chrome plastic trim around the usb connector had cracked. I had heard reports of this before and thought that people had just dropped their phones but now I'm a believer. No...I swear I have never dropped it. Its a little disheartening after paying so much but if you have a steady hand and this happens to you....its an easy fix. Use only the head of a toothpic with a tiny drop of super glue to rub over broken edge. Worked like a charm and barely noiticable now but now I'm wondering if it will happen again in a different spot. Oh well....

17 REPLIES 17
Journeyman

Re: Finally Happened to Me

Same thing happened to me last week.  I hadn't dropped it or anything, just pulled it out of my pocket one day and it kind of caught in the fabric.  I looked at it and saw the crack in the usb port (top left if screen is up).  Really bummed.  I'll probably do the super-glue and see if there's a case out there that will protect the spot.  Right now I'm super gentle with it as I don't want it to catch on anything else.  Anyone know of a good case that protects around the usb port?

Journeyman

Sounds like a good fix. Would you mind taking photos and posting to better illustrate? Thanks.

Journeyman

Yes please post photos

Journeyman

I had the same problem with my Hero.  I had never dropped it and I was babying it since the day I got it.  Then one day I reached into my pocket and felt intense pain in my thumb.  I pulled out my hand and my thumb was bleeding everywhere.  I checked my pocket and sure enough, the trim was cracked and sharp as hell.  That was the last straw for me on that hero because the dust under the screen was so horrible.  I went into Sprint and they replaced my phone, it was outside of 30 days otherwise I would have went to Best Buy.  I have had my new Hero for a week now with no problems.  I will keep everyone posted.

Journeyman

Mine is not as severe but it leaves cuts on my fingers like paper cuts. The metal around the back and power button is cracked and pulling back. I filed it back with a nail file and used a dab of clear acrylic seal to hold it down and now it is fixed. A friend of mine with the same phone has a full crack from the Menu Button to the ball and he took it to the technician and they were able to replace the face of the phone but the first time he went he could not press the mnu button or search button (like they were stuck) and when we took it back they apologized and said they had attached the buttons and screen in the wrong order.

Journeyman

I'd like to chime in with a perspective on this, although I don't have a (very nice) Hero...

Please Sprint, don't "jazz up" your phones with faux chrome trim and buttons and stuff like that. There are those of us that would much prefer simple black plastic buttons or even no buttons at all, or anything that you give any fancy dancy chrome to.

Guess I'm saying there are those that are perfectly happy with basic plastic, so long as it remains functional and wears well.

anyway, hope anyone having this issue can get it to where yer happy with it, but personally I wish Sprint wouldn't design the phones this way.

Regards,

Journeyman

It is not Sprint that designs these phones. It is HTC. Therefore your request to sprint should be directed more towards HTC instead. BTW i do completely agree with you on the chrome thing. Not my cup of tea either but there are a lot of people that do like it.

Journeyman

Mine cracked awhile back in this same location. Just figured it was another of the many problems associated with this sub-par supposed smartphone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

robnchris96 wrote:

It is not Sprint that designs these phones. It is HTC. Therefore your request to sprint should be directed more towards HTC instead. BTW i do completely agree with you on the chrome thing. Not my cup of tea either but there are a lot of people that do like it.

Actually, Sprint did work with HTC on the redesign of the Sprint version HTC Hero.  There was a huge debate on whether people preferred the Hero "chin" or if they liked the Sprint modified version better.

Journeyman

I can't remember if mine was ever cracked, but the other day I found a sharp piece of plastic in my pocket. I checked my phone and a good chunk of plastic is missing around the usb connector. The mic is barely protected now which worries me. I don't think I have EVER dropped my phone, and I know I haven't dropped it in the last couple of weeks. Plus my headset speaker seems to be going out. I'm going to try to take it to a repair center later today and hopefully have it repaired or replaced, since I pay $7 a month to protect my phone.

Journeyman

lol

i just looked at this post, and what do i c...

cracked

ill see if i can send a picture but ................

wow

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat