cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find and update the software version on your HTC Hero

Highlighted
Journeyman

Find and update the software version on your HTC Hero

I love the fact that there's an OS update for the Hero, but the directions walk you through the install on a Windows machine. What if you've got a Mac? Is there an installer, or a direct way to update the phone without using Windows? Thanks.

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Find and update the software version on your HTC Hero

Not at this point, no.  If you have a Mac (as I do) you'll need to:

1) install a PC Emulator and a copy of Windows

2) Install Boot Camp and a copy of Windows

3) Buy a Netbook (my solution)

4) Find a friend who can install the software

5) Wait for the stores to have it set up on their service machines.  I'd guess a few weeks and they should be good, but I have no firm information there.

Thanks for the post - good luck getting it sorted out!

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

So just a quick question, then. Is that HTC's fault or Sprint's? I find it odd that Android is trying to compete with the iPhone yet when an update comes out Mac users are left out in the cold. Not all of us automatically have iPhones. Of course, maybe we should... Sorry. Just pretty disappointed in both HTC and Sprint.

Journeyman

If I can't go to a service center and have it done, it becomes sprint's fault. Of course I could just go over to Verizon and get a Droid and be on 2.2 by now.

Journeyman

Wow! Thanks Sprint!

RIght now I'm 27 miles from the nearest Sprint store. If I don't want to pay for a ferry ride, the nearest store is 32 miles away.

It's unbelievable to me that Sprint considers this adequate customer service.

Journeyman

I am in the same boat.  I have a macbook, but i have been with Sprint one way or another for almost a decade.

I feel a bit  ignored.

I want my phone to have 2.1, I got badly treated when I called a sprint retailer to see if they could help me, I emailed HTC and they responded that it's not available for macs and I should try to download it through a friend with a PC.

Makes me think I should have waited to upgrade until a phone has been proven to do everything properly.  I like the Evo, but it's 10 bucks more a month which seems a bit unfair considering I am supposed to be paying for an "everything" plan.  I guess it doesn't really include everything. I'll happily stay with my Hero, but some assistance with it would be welcome.

I like my Sprint service, I like what I pay and I like my services.  I  like my phone, I'd like to have the software and give it a boost in operations and battery life. It lasts all day if I don't listen to music or use the web too much.

Why  can't anyone help?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat