Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find and update the software version on your HTC Hero

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Find and update the software version on your HTC Hero

Any news when Sprint will finally get the picture and come out with 2.0 update for hero

9 REPLIES 9
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Find and update the software version on your HTC Hero

Sorry, but Sprint will not be updating the Hero to Android 2.0 

Instead, we've decided to jump over 2.0 and go directly to an update to 2.1.  You can read lots more about it in the Hero by HTC forum (where I moved this post)

Thanks for joining our community and I hope you find lots of good information.  If you have any questions about your Hero, just post and ask!

Will

Message was edited by: wengla02

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

I have a question...when is 2.1 being released for the Hero? Hopefully before 2.5 comes out?

Journeyman

Well, seeing as no one but Nexus One has 2.1, I'd say we'll have it around the time Droid and the others do. HTC has been working on this for some time now, like before the Nexus One was announced. Expect it to be done on time and a new release in the works after that. This Sense thing is new. I think after this update, HTC will be able to stay caught up better and we'll be seeing more timely updates. Although, this one still could be timely, since no one else has this update yet.

Journeyman

HTC is and has been done with it already . sprint is testing it to make sure all is well . Probably at the latest i personally think it will be rolling out next month no later then that but its still early in Feb so lets hope early .

Journeyman

The latest rumor on the streets and I don't remember where I read it at, says that we will be getting the 2.1 update for sure by the end of March.  I actually talked with HTC last night about an issue I was trying to fix and they informed me that Sprint does indeed have the update already and they are currently testing the software.  I imagine testing it with their apps they load such as: Sprint TV, Sprint navigation, etc...  Though I would think that from the number of inquires that Sprint has received they understand that they need to get this done quickly because their customers are getting impatient.  Not to mention, since they have changed changed the date a few times becuase of skipping ver 1.6 (Donute) and then 2.0, that people will not tolerate any more skipping.  I can understand why they are doing the 1.6 and 2.0 skip due to the fact that the O.S. has changed so rapidly.  It cuts down on how many times they have to push updates or help those who can't figure out how to do the updates themselves.

I know it sucks but I am just waiting patiently for the 2.1 Eclair to be release.  I'd rather have them make sure it works like it should then throw it on my phone and totally bust it.  Then I would truly be ticked off and I know they don't want alot of ticked off people leaving becuase they failed to do the right thing.   Just hang tough and it should be here sooner then you realize.

Just my 2 Cents..

Journeyman

We are all waiting (some more patiently than others) but hopefully it will be soon.

1H-2010 is the target and hopefully that's a generous enough window for Sprint to do all their testing on it so when we do finally get it, it will be a quality update.

I think the main problem is that a lot of us follow other Android news-related sites and too many people accept rumor as fact, or make assumptions based on rumors.

We live in a world of instant press where anyone can run their own website and say whatever they feel like about anything.  Problem is that too many people take stock in others opinions and treat them as fact.

Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised and Sprint could tell us next week that it's ready?  Then again, maybe we get it in June.

Either way, I'm a fan of quality software and not rushing things. 

Journeyman

your right . im glad to see somebody with SENSE on their mind lols . but yea i rather wait . i do want it now but i rather wait when all is good . and people have to also notice are hero and android devices out now wont be able to handle everything 2.1 has like you can cut out the live wallpaper and etc . but things will come slowly but surely etc . i mean they might as well wait for a new device if they want this or that. and yea people need to be realistic and stop and dont be so quick to believe everything they see . see a leak and somebody say sprint they assume. if you dont see a sprint logo on it or a confirmation then its not . now that the wimax thing for supersonic i want to say it's for sprint now but where did a video or some proof come out that said it was ? just articles . so let's wait until next month . cause people get so mad easily like aww man sprint sucks etc cause they didnt get it. man sprint knows what it's doing if it didnt they wouldnt be a phone company . people taking it to heart lols . a phone will not kill you. just hearing about new phones is exciting enough for me . i wish they all could come to sprint lols but im good how i am and will wait patiently for sprints big phone w.e it may be and i have faith for w.e it is and will be gladly to get it and be satisfied until my contract ends or upgrade if i cant wait .

Journeyman

Thanks UniqueNate, nice to see someone agrees with me in the midst of all the Sprint-bashing that's been going on in the forums.

bought my Hero in mid-December and I specifically went for it for 3 reasons

1.  Past experience/satisfaction with an HTC phone

2.  Dissatisfaction with the carrier I was with at the time (rates, phone choices, billing errors) and I was already out of contract.

3.  Wanting to upgrade my smartphone experience from Windows Mobile to Android

I did a lot of online "shopping around" at the time and decided that Sprint had the best pricing (monthly rates) for me to get an Android phone.

Sure, most of us that have these phones crave new technology and software.  But, to everyone slamming Sprint for the "delay" (and I use that word lightly) on the update, lighten up people!

The Hero is a great phone and I'm sure that Sprint is doing their best to make it better! 

Journeyman

Let's see, the Droid is updating this week to 2.1, the Cliq is getting the update in March, and the Euro Hero is being mentioned in more and more places as getting the update in March.  In the mean time, Sprint hemmorhaged 148k people this quarter and is celebrating it, while telling us we may have to wait till June so that they can update the NASCAR app.

Am I missing anytihng?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat