cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find and update the software version on your HTC Hero

Highlighted
Journeyman

Find and update the software version on your HTC Hero

I don't seem to be able to get this update.

Keeps telling me now firmware update available.

I even tried booting the phone in safe mode.

Ideas?

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

What version are you currently on?

There have been reports of very early handsets having an older version that won't take the update.

1.    Press Menu, Tap Settings
2.    Flick Up, Tap About Phone
3.    Scroll up and check Software version - the version that can take the update is 1.22.651

I'm looking for an official answer on how to update to 1.29.651 - then you can update again to  1.56.651.2.

(I have the same problem - but I got a pre-release Hero...)

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

Software version is 1.22.651.1

I even did a factory reset to see if that would resolve the issue but it didn't.

Highlighted

Nope.  We'll have to find a way to get the 1.29 update to your phone.  Everyone is out of the office this weekend; we should have a solution next week.

Sorry for the headache...

Highlighted
Journeyman

If I can get the update.zip I could load it on my SD card and do the boot option to apply it.  If I boot up the phone and hold home and power it should give me the apply update.zip option.

Highlighted
Journeyman

No worries.  I have already worked around the battery life issues.  Everything else the update provides is just gravy.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Any updates on this?

Highlighted
Journeyman

if you are willing to do another factory reset (and dont forget to disable the personal-lock-screen if you use it), then you just want to run the exe file - i have not seen an actual zip file but i imagine that it is somewhere within this exe...

http://forum.smartphonejunkie.com/f490/team-htc-hero-sprint-stock-rom-development-1-29-651-1-a-19360...

basically, it is a simple windows-program that will reflash your hero to 'stock' - i think i used another version of this file/directions from xda or somewhere, but this is the first result i got from google just now and it looks fine...

once youve flashed up to 1.29 then you can do what i did - namely, setup all the niceties that i wanted to and some email accounts and the absolute-minimum programs from market (for me that includes a flashlight and ghost-commander, not a task-killer nor my paid-backup-program)...  if you are lucky, like i was - then phone will actually start sleeping and stuff normally (i did not activate bluetooth even)...  after the initial-setup is complete, then i went ahead and rooted my phone (btw - you might want to make a backup of the default-recovery-image see http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Unpack%2C_Edit%2C_and_Re-Pack_Boot_Images)...  next, i flashed a nandroid-capable recovery-image and did a full-backup...  thus, i had all the pieces to return-to-stock at the 651.1 level if necessary...  basically, i followed the steps in http://geekfor.me/faq/how-to-root-the-cdma-htc-sprint-hero/ except just-before Step-9 i did the backup of the recovery-image...  if you understand what/why you are typing these commands - and are careful, then this truly is an easy process to do...  if you are not interested in rooting and backing-up your phone then skip this whole previous paragraph...

ok, once that is all done - then you can either play with 651.1 or upgrade to 156.2 or whatever you want...  i feel secure in the knowledge (having a nandroid backup that is complete) that i can undo anything that i break with my phone now...  btw - post-upgrade, you will need to reroot your phone because the root-shell-su will get deactivated (if you care about this stuff) and you will probably want to delete the sdcard-nandroid-backup directory (if you made it) each time youve created it - otherwise it starts becoming huge (due to recursion i think).  good luck, h.

edit --

btw - id read about people locking-up their device trying to hold home while powering up using stock-recovery...  i noticed that when i booted up in stock-recovery, i got a pretty picture but nothing else...  i had to (after staring at the pic for a minute) hit the home+power buttons AGAIN to get the actual recovery-options of flashing the update.zip or whatever...  just fyi...

Message was edited by: luv_dogs

Highlighted

PM Sent, issue resolved.

BTW, do be careful running ROM's from unknown third parties.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Shouldn't you make the answer public? Many (non-prerelease) phones shipped with the 1.22 software (mine included), and there doesn't seem to be an "official" way to get the upgrade. Or does "issue resolved" mean that 1.22 phones can take the upgrade now?

The only options that we know of are to flash the official (probably leaked) 1.29 RUU, lose all of our data, then do the OTA upgrade; go to a sprint store to have them flash 1.29, lose all data, and then do the OTA upgrade; or root, install a custom rom with the upgrade rolled in, and keep our data. Having to lose all of your data  is inconvenient enough, but having to go to a store to have someone else do it for you?

Highlighted

We've not been given permission to make the solution public (yet).  If you have 1.22 send SarahKS or I a PM and we will forward the private instructions to update to you via PM.

Thank you,

Will

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat