cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox Mobile

Journeyman

Firefox Mobile

I saw that Firefox Mobile Beta was available, so I decided to download and install it to try it out. Due to little to no data signal when I am inside my home, I connected to my home wireless in order to download Firefox. The application successfully installed. It gave me the option to open it, but when I selected open, nothing happened. I went back to the home screen and then accessed the list of programs and selected Firefox. When I pressed the Firefox icon, Firefox started to load and then it immediately returned to the home screen. I thought that there might be some restriction preventing me from using Firefox when the wireless connection is enabled, so I turned it off, but Firefox still wouldn't load. After that, I began having Internet access issues (error message saying webpage is not available and home screen saying current location -- this has been an ongoing issue with this phone). Has anyone else tried out Firefox?

4 REPLIES 4
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Firefox Mobile

Firefox Mobile is definitely "Beta" quality software.  It takes 30 seconds to launch on my Samsung Epic.  It'll take far longer on the Hero, since it has a slower processor and less memory.  It's quite possible it won't even work on the Hero.  When using it I've found that it'll up and quit after a few minutes of browsing.

It's interesting, but not ready for prime time...

Will

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

After researching this, I found that Firefox won't run on the Hero. This is according to the Firefox developer forum (http://forum.androidcentral.com/mozilla-firefox/)

It would seem that there could be some sort of process check in terms of accessing the site and downloading the file whereby if the phone you are using doesn't support Firefox, that a message would come up stating that Firefox isn't supported.

It's really too bad that the Hero essentially seems to be a phone that isn't capable of doing much -- i.e. No FroYo update, it can't run Firefox, and it probably can't run flash. Wonder what else it can't do. I guess to be fair though, the list of phones supported by Firefox mobile is relatively small at the moment.

Journeyman

i have installed this on my hero.  however i am running Cyanogen(mod) 6 froyo.  it took up 50MB of my internal storage.  if you want to mess with the beta2 it is called Fennec (codename of firefox android).  but for the Hero you will need to make sure your get the version for ARMv6. the better version out is for ARMv7 (majority of new android phones).  the ARMv7 is much smoother and appears to have most of the testing done on it.  beta test at your own risk.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It did to me as what the OP described. I was excited when heard about that and then immediately bummed when it did not work, lol.  Plus the fact of 50mb is quite large. So I am still using Opera Mini and it works just fine for me.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat