cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware update issue

Highlighted
Journeyman

Firmware update issue

I was downloading the firmware update, and it stuck at 58% so I canceled to start the download over.  When I go to re-download it now tells me there is no update available, but after rebooting I don't see some of the changes mentioned in a previous thread (such as the speaker/mute buttons on the call screen) Is there any back way to access the download so I can make sure my phone has received all updates?  Thanks!

edit:  about half an hour later the update came back up and is now stuck at 66%; if anyone knows what to do please help

Message was edited by: dreamawake719

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: Firmware update issue

I just purchased this phone this morning from BestBuy and came home and attempted to initialize the firmware update.  The first time I tried it said no update available, I tried again and then it found the update.  I started downloading it and it went to about 11% and stopped.  I canceled and tried again and it couldn't find the update.  So, I restarted the phone and tried again; it found the update but again stopped at 11%.  I am thinking about taking this phone back to BestBuy tomorrow for another one to see if the issue persists.  If anyone has any information please post! Thanks!!!

Journeyman

How long did you let the phone stay at 11%

Are you getting impatient?  Often when compuers are installing or downloading items the "progress bars" can be highly innacurate, or it may be downloading then compressing/decompressing things in the background.

A good rule of thumb is, if a progress bar stop, look at the percentage, mark exactly where it is (put a pice of paper just covering exactly where the progress bar is in this case) and let it sit for 20 MINUTES.  if it does not progress, THEN cancel and assume something is actually wrong.  Don't just think that since it was going up 1 percent per second up to the 11% mark, or what ever, that if it doesn't go any higher for 30 seconds or a minute, that it is actually having a problem.  Generally if it truely stalls out, the software developer who wrote the update program is going to see somehting is actually wrong and generate an error message that might have some useful information.  Don't be so cancel-happy, give it some time to complete.

Journeyman

Thanks for the quick response bkfist.  I should have included in my initial post that I waited about 15 minutes to see if a change would occur in either the percentage, status bar, or the bytes.  All the remained constant for the entire time elapsed.  I will try again tomorrow morning.  If it doesn't work, I will go to BestBuy again and exchange it for another one.  Any other suggestions?? Is anyone else experiencing this problem?? Why 11%??

Thanks in advance!!

Journeyman

Wow i tried again...albeit a little drunk and this time it stalled at 58%...why?????!!!!!!

Message was edited by: achagan

Journeyman

Ok so persistency pays off!!! I tried again and it downloaded 100% and it installed too..

maybe the servers were busy? who knows it works now!  Super fast...camera is clear...everything is great with this phone...just waiting on 2.0 now!!!!!!

Journeyman PGR
Journeyman

The delays could be the result of high server traffic or network bandwidth issues. It could also be the result of high traffic on the local cell tower. For that matter, it could even be the result of the signal strength each individual phone is seeing.

The update process is really no different than downloading an app: It might not be instantaneous. But if nothing else, Android seems to be pretty good at continuing interrupted downloads when the system allows it if you just leave things alone. You'll eventually get a notification that the update is ready to install so relax and enjoy the ride.

Pete

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat