Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First 5 Apps You Will Load

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: First 5 Apps You Will Load

Edaze55 wrote:

tshaw1 wrote:

Power Manager is an app for the Android platform that allows you to configure your device to modify its settings based on its power level.  This is a really handy app that will help you get the most out of your phone, regardless of how you use it.

ASTRO is a file manager for the Android platform that let’s you do quit a bit. Out of all the file management programs available for the Android platform, ASTRO seems to be the most complete.

Ringdroid is a ringtone creator for the Android platform. With this app you can easily manipulate any of your existing songs on your Android phone and make shorter clips perfect for ringtones or notifications. This app makes it so easy to customize your Android phone.

Useful Applications:

The Layar Reality Browser shows what is around you by displaying real time digital information on top of reality through the camera of your mobile phone. With many local layers and global content from Flickr, Wikipedia, Yelp, Google local search, Qype, Brightkite, Yellowpages(soon),Twitter and much more.

SnapTell is an app for the Android platform that lets you find out information on products just by snapping a picture of the item or its barcode.

Pkt Auction allows you to do just about everything you can do on your computer with an Ebay account except for being able to edit your actual account information and start a sale.

The Weather Channel app for the Android platform is easily the most comprehensive weather app available thus far. There are tons of features and plenty of information available for wherever you are and with GPS enabled on your phone, you can actually get really precise location based information as its happening.

Fun Applications:

Bonsai Blast is a puzzle game for the Android platform. This game is very similar to Bust-A-Move but does have several features that set it apart. The object of the game is to clear all of the colored ***** from the line before they reach the Yin Yang at the end of the level.

Shazam is a music recognition app that's really useful for helping you figure out information about a song you're hearing. The app is very simple and easy to use as there are only two options for you to select from when you load it. Those options are Tag Now and My Tags.

Instead of Power Manager

If I am not mistaken, Locale has a setting for battery condition, meaning that it will automaticly change based on a battery level set by you, as well as being able to set conditions for places and/or times like Home, Work, an even when at the movies. Not sure if multiple battery level setups are possible, say like, after 50% 35%  25% and 10%, but I dont see why it wouldnt be. Just trying to save you some memory on your phone.

Weather Channel?

Im guessing you have no interest in using the pre-installed weather widget on Sense? If thats the case I suppose this app would do the same.

I approve of the rest of them, but Im not sure Im so keen on augmented reality just yet. Could you imagine how silly we would all look walking along looking at the world through our phones rather than with our own eyes? I could see where it would have some uses, but ...

I don't know look at how much time we spend looking at the world through our computer screens I was thinking it might be handy when you're walking around town trying to locate a certain business location.

Highlighted
Journeyman

tshaw1 wrote:

I don't know look at how much time we spend looking at the world through our computer screens I was thinking it might be handy when you're walking around town trying to locate a certain business location.

You got me there.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't know about you guys, but I have Mobile Snyc on my Instinct it auto backs up all my contacts which I can then see at Sprint.com and download or sync back to my phone at anytime. This has been very handy since I am on my 5th, yes 5th Instinct (M800). Thank goodness for the Insurance!

Aslo here are my 5

1. Facebook

2. Twidgit Lite

3. US Traffic (commuting in Metro Phoenix bites)

4. Flixster

5. The task killer everyone is talking about looks good too.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, that's sorta what I was wondering. I've seen some cool apps for iPhone. I see no reason why a person or company that makes something for the iPhone can't make it and sell it on the android market. It's more opportunity for sales. Why reinvent the wheel if you have a marketable product already. Plus, not all apps for the iphone are owned by Apple (just a guess), so it shouldn't be a copyright or trademark infringement to make them for Android.

I'm sure 90% of the apps for iPhone I wouldn't want...but like I said, I've seen some that seemed to work quite nicely and it would be nice if they were available on Android without any major changes. If that makes any sense? I've surfed those websites a little bit...I wish you could access the Android market via computer (kinda like itunes) and find things...but I'm sure I'll be ok like this

Highlighted
Journeyman

unimatrix_01 wrote:

I don't know about you guys, but I have Mobile Snyc on my Instinct it auto backs up all my contacts which I can then see at Sprint.com and download or sync back to my phone at anytime. This has been very handy since I am on my 5th, yes 5th Instinct (M800). Thank goodness for the Insurance!

Aslo here are my 5

1. Facebook

2. Twidgit Lite

3. US Traffic (commuting in Metro Phoenix bites)

4. Flixster

5. The task killer everyone is talking about looks good too.

Yea but no one even knows if the Hero will have Mobile Sync. If it does, great. If not, I've backed all my contacts up to my google account.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think I mentioned this before in here on one of our threads... but a few months back [maybe 6] I bought my girlfriend [God love her] a T-Mobile G1, I wanted to wait for six months until some of the early G1 bugs cleared up and a few months before the new generation came out... more bugs to deal with... maybe. Over the G1's life she's had a good time with it for the most part, particularly after finding out she couldn't clog the G1 up with too many apps. AT this point she's become impressively savvy in the art of killing processes, deleating useless apps, watching ROM, WIFI and Power useage etc.

Her Donut Update hit her phone last week so she had to update some apps and in the process she decided to download some new games etc. today. So, since I was off we spent part of the day laying around looking at the Android Market Place comparing real apps to the notes I've been taking and in general allowing her to teach me what she's learned over the past six months while living with her G1. First of all, I'm not sure if we get to go to the same Android Market Place as the T-Mobile folks do, I'm assuming we do since both companies are part of the Android Consortium..

BUT believe me one can spend HOURS browsing through all the apps out there... I've been surfing the web via my PC's and trying to flushout applications I might like... But i had NO IDEA that there's SO MANY to see on the Market Place.

The point of this post is to let you all know that WE are in for the adventure of our Phone-Lives come this week-end... ENJOY... and don't LEAVE this site we'll need to talk about all these things over the next few weeks!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

After spending a good part of my day yesterday on a G1... and part of the week on the web this is what I've come up with so far, you may copy it to a word doc if you care to use it for reference... not a problem, feel free:

System Applications:

AppManager Android AppManage your apps. Features: backup to SD single/all @ once, for every app version, install from SD, uninstall, locate at market, launch, detect protected apps, detect AdMob apps. AppManager Android App is a cool little utility to manage your android apps. Listed are all apps installed on your android phone, you can backup apps to SD card (provided they’re not protected), install or uninstall from SD card.

Useful Switchers Android App is well… extremely useful! It allows you to easily toggle settings and features that you would have to hunt for in the traditional Android settings menus. Toggle: Wireless (Wifi), Bluetooth, Screen Brightness, Screen Timeout, 2G/3G, Airplane Mode, and Stats for Battery, Internal and SD Card memory usage. Even comes with the very handy “Flashlight” utility for turning your screen brightness up/down.

Power Manager is an app for the Android platform that allows you to configure your device to modify its settings based on its power level.  This is a really handy app that will help you get the most out of your phone, regardless of how you use it.

TasKilleris a free powerfull application for the android mobile platform. With TasKiller you can easily kill idle applications that runs in background, your memory will be free and speed incremented.

ASTRO is a file manager for the Android platform that let’s you do quit a bit. Out of all the file management programs available for the Android platform, ASTRO seems to be the most complete.

Ringdroid is a ringtone creator for the Android platform. With this app you can easily manipulate any of your existing songs on your Android phone and make shorter clips perfect for ringtones or notifications. This app makes it so easy to customize your Android phone.

Lost Android is a simple web based application that allows you to track, backup, lock and set an alarm on your lost or stolen Android device.

WeFi for Android is a free application that enables Android users to connect their phones to the strongest free wi-fi hotspots that are available. The WeFi Android app automatically connects users to the best connection that is currently available, and if the connection is lost, WeFi will automatically re-connect the device to another available open Wi-Fi hotspot.

Useful Applications:

Scan2PDF MobileDocument scanning using your phone's camera to convert one or more pages into a PDF. Like having scanner/photocopier/fax machine in your pocket! PDFs are saved to phone/SD card and can be emailed directly from the phone or transferred to PC. Pages are compressed and enhanced to produce a compact, readable PDF file.

Documents To Goallows you to use Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Adobe PDF files – all in one complete package. Easily create, view, edit, save & send attachments while our InTact Technology maintains 100% of the original file formatting. Supports Office 2007 & password-protected files.

Droid 411 makes the call for you, but it does not provide the actual service, Select the "Learn More" button to view more information about any of the services.

Jamdroidis an Android application that aims to provide real-time accurate information about road traffic and congestion. With information from vitually anywhere on the globe, it is based on the idea that anyone driving a car with a gps receiver can have its device estimate the traffic he/she just went through.

The Layar Reality Browsershows what is around you by displaying real time digital information on top of reality through the camera of your mobile phone. With many local layers and global content from Flickr, Wikipedia, Yelp, Google local search, Qype, Brightkite, Yellowpages(soon),Twitter and much more.

SnapTell is an app for the Android platform that lets you find out information on products just by snapping a picture of the item or its barcode.

Pkt Auctionallows you to do just about everything you can do on your computer with an Ebay account except for being able to edit your actual account information and start a sale.

The Weather Channel app for the Android platform is easily the most comprehensive weather app available thus far. There are tons of features and plenty of information available for wherever you are and with GPS enabled on your phone, you can actually get really precise location based information as its happening.

Carrr MateyNever lose your car in a parking lot or a busy street again! Carrr Matey will quickly guide you back using a compass or walking directions from Google Maps. Perfect for airports, sporting events, shopping malls, etc. Plus, with the built in timer, you can park at meters worry-free. And it's mildly pirate themed! Enjoy!

Fun Applications:

Google Sky Map is a free Android application that helps users to learn about the sky using the handsets built-in GPS along with compass, date, and time functionality. Google Sky Map help turns Android-powered mobile phones into a dynamic window of the night sky. When users point their Android powered handsets skywards map displaying the brightest stars, constellations and planets in that part of the sky appears on the screen.

Bonsai Blast is a puzzle game for the Android platform. This game is very similar to Bust-A-Move but does have several features that set it apart. The object of the game is to clear all of the colored balls from the line before they reach the Yin Yang at the end of the level.

Pandora Radiois your own FREE personalized radio now available to stream music on your phone.  Start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs or classical composers and Pandora will create a “station” that plays their music and more music like it.

Shazam is a music recognition app that's really useful for helping you figure out information about a song you're hearing. The app is very simple and easy to use as there are only two options for you to select from when you load it. Those options are Tag Now and My Tags.

Gmote 2.0 for Androidis Awesome! It has 3 main features: Media Remote Control (with Browsing features), Gmote Touch, and Web Browsing (Beta). Turns your phone into a remote control for your computer, allowing you to start and control movies and music at a distance. (Requires server software download on computer)

Highlighted
Journeyman

tshaw1 wrote:

After spending a good part of my day yesterday on a G1... and part of the week on the web this is what I've come up with so far, you may copy it to a word doc if you care to use it for reference... not a problem, feel free:

System Applications:

Useful Switchers Android App is well… extremely useful! It allows you to easily toggle settings and features that you would have to hunt for in the traditional Android settings menus. Toggle: Wireless (Wifi), Bluetooth, Screen Brightness, Screen Timeout, 2G/3G, Airplane Mode, and Stats for Battery, Internal and SD Card memory usage. Even comes with the very handy “Flashlight” utility for turning your screen brightness up/down.

Lost Android is a simple web based application that allows you to track, backup, lock and set an alarm on your lost or stolen Android device.

WeFi for Android is a free application that enables Android users to connect their phones to the strongest free wi-fi hotspots that are available. The WeFi Android app automatically connects users to the best connection that is currently available, and if the connection is lost, WeFi will automatically re-connect the device to another available open Wi-Fi hotspot.

You really are killing me Tshaw.

You should not need Useful Switchers on your Hero. For anyone running stock android, I would highly recommend this, but Im fairly certain that Sense has built in switchers, as I have seen them in use on the reviews. There will most certainly be a spot on one of my homescreens that has a 3G, WiFi, and GPS switch. These are really the only ones I will be worried about as they will suck the most juice. If there is an Airplane switch, I might use that for quickly silencing my phone.

Lost Droid would be a good addition. Reminds me of another app (cant remember the name right now) that when you have your ringers turned off, you can text your phone with a key word and it will turn the volume up so you can find your phone.

WeFi is a new one on me, but I like it. Thanks for this one T.

Journeyman

1. TasKiller ( to prolong battery life by closing those background apps that drain power)

2. AppMan ( quickly delete unwanted apps)

3. Open Home ( for additional home pages) paid for app

4. Better Cut ( works with Open home, download and change the look of ur home page with icons and all sorts) paid for app

5. QMSD ( SMS app for your secret sms messages you naughty lot)

ok

chomp SMS and Handcent are real good sms apps...Chomp wont send/receive MMS but looks real cool

Handcent is a real good app just not as good looking as chomp in my opinion

I had to remove both these apps though because not matter what i did, i always got 2 notifications in the status bar when i received a text! 1 from the home messaging app and 1 from either of the 2 mentioned! (and no i didnt have them both installed at the same time)

Enjoy your htc ,but im sure you'd have been happier with an iPhone

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat