cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Froyo... When?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Froyo... When?

Now that we have our Eclair , when do we see Froyo? Or do we directly jump to 2.2 (whatever that will be called)?

Too early... is it?

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: Froyo... When?

Uhhhh, too early. Since this update has been sought after since last year and we FINALLY got it, I wouldn't expect an immediate release when Froyo does come out. And who knows? The Hero's hardware may not be able to handle the new OS.

Journeyman

Hahahahah , I hope you got the humor in it... I am sure there are tons of things to figure out.

Our unsatiable thirst of the latest & greatest is very hard to be quenched... so, just have fun, enjoy while it lasts.

Journeyman

I purchased the HTC Hero at the end of February, so I have had this phone for almost exactly 3 months now. One of my chief concerns with the Hero was that it was running Android 1.5 when 2.1 was already available, but the Sprint sales associate assured me that Sprint would have the 2.1 upgrade available by the end of March. So I plopped down nearly $300 for the phone and entered into a 2-year contract. Sprint failed to deliver the update in March. Or April. And for more than half of May.

Now Froyo is about to be released and there seems to be no commitment from Sprint to even provide the Froyo upgrade for the Hero. Some people are speculating that Sprint may either delay an upgrade or that one may not be available at all. The worst that I've heard is along of the lines of "well, it took Sprint forever to release 2.1, so don't expect 2.2 anytime soon." That's bad reasoning.

I consider timely and regular upgrades to be part of my purchase of a Sprint Android phone. It's one of the key reasons I purchased an Android phone. I didn't drop this much money and take on a 2-year contract for an Android phone that would become outdated and unsupported in regard to upgrades within 3 months. It's bad enough that Sprint chooses to trespass on my phone's limited storage space with NASCAR and NFL apps I don't want and cannot uninstall. If Google releases an upgrade, Sprint needs to get it on my phone in the absolute shortest time possible. If it's an HTC issue, then Sprint needs to work it out with HTC, but I purchased the phone from Sprint so that's whose ultimately responsible, in my opinion. If Sprint can't handle that, then it needs to void my contract, let me return the phone, and let me move on to a service provider that can give me what I pay for.

Journeyman

jwilso56 wrote:

I purchased the HTC Hero at the end of February, so I have had this phone for almost exactly 3 months now. One of my chief concerns with the Hero was that it was running Android 1.5 when 2.1 was already available, but the Sprint sales associate assured me that Sprint would have the 2.1 upgrade available by the end of March. So I plopped down nearly $300 for the phone and entered into a 2-year contract. Sprint failed to deliver the update in March. Or April. And for more than half of May.

Now Froyo is about to be released and there seems to be no commitment from Sprint to even provide the Froyo upgrade for the Hero. Some people are speculating that Sprint may either delay an upgrade or that one may not be available at all. The worst that I've heard is along of the lines of "well, it took Sprint forever to release 2.1, so don't expect 2.2 anytime soon." That's bad reasoning.

I consider timely and regular upgrades to be part of my purchase of a Sprint Android phone. It's one of the key reasons I purchased an Android phone. I didn't drop this much money and take on a 2-year contract for an Android phone that would become outdated and unsupported in regard to upgrades within 3 months. It's bad enough that Sprint chooses to trespass on my phone's limited storage space with NASCAR and NFL apps I don't want and cannot uninstall. If Google releases an upgrade, Sprint needs to get it on my phone in the absolute shortest time possible. If it's an HTC issue, then Sprint needs to work it out with HTC, but I purchased the phone from Sprint so that's whose ultimately responsible, in my opinion. If Sprint can't handle that, then it needs to void my contract, let me return the phone, and let me move on to a service provider that can give me what I pay for.

Sprint didn't fail to deliver your update - the sales rep failed to tell you the truth. Sprint never promised a March date on the update.

And the Nascar and NFL apps don't actually take up any usable room on your phone. They're mounted on the user-inaccessible /system partition. You can get rid of them if you root, but it will not increase your usable space. Apps and app data are located on the separate /data partition.

You can try to void your contract, but you won't be able to. Your contract doesn't say anything about how long it'll take you to get Android updates.

Journeyman

jonnythan518 wrote:

Sprint didn't fail to deliver your update - the sales rep failed to tell you the truth. Sprint never promised a March date on the update.

You may be correct about Sprint as a company not promising a release date (though I'm pretty sure I read that Sprint promised a 1Q upgrade and then pushed that into 2Q), but the representative is a representative of Sprint and therefore represents Sprint in these transactions. Ultimately Sprint is responsible for what their reps do and say in their name.

jonnythan518 wrote:

And the Nascar and NFL apps don't actually take up any usable room on your phone. They're mounted on the user-inaccessible /system partition. You can get rid of them if you root, but it will not increase your usable space. Apps and app data are located on the separate /data partition.

You're missing the point. If I don't want it, I should be able to get rid of it. It's my phone, my space. If I don't want an app about a sport in which people drive around in circles really fast, then I shouldn't have to have it. Even if these apps take up no disk space, as you say, they do run in the background and take up both RAM and CPU cycles. But that's still missing the point. I didn't pay this much money for my phone to be an advertisement for things that Sprint sponsors.

jonnythan518 wrote:

You can try to void your contract, but you won't be able to. Your contract doesn't say anything about how long it'll take you to get Android updates.

I didn't say I wanted to void my contract. I said if Sprint isn't going to support the phone more than 3 months after purchase, then it needs to let me out of the contract. I've been a customer of Sprint for more than 10 years and its handling of the Android is the first time since I've been with them that I've given any serious consideration to switching to another provider. As far as voiding the contract, the question is not whether I would void it, but whether the contract is even legally binding since I entered into it based on false information and not being told information that would have impacted my decision.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat