cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get iTunes to play nice with your Hero

Journeyman

Get iTunes to play nice with your Hero

Just thought this might be helpful to some. I found it floating in the blogosphere. Works great with my Hero and could work with any media player that uses mass storage. Just use this link. It does require a little more work than an iPod, but its a lot easier to get all your music to show up properly than drag and drop and I find it more convenient. Hope this helps.

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: Get iTunes to play nice with your Hero

Why not just use Windows Media Player?  Or....am I missing something?  That's what I use.

Journeyman

Well ... for one I am on a Mac - can't use Windows Media Player.

Although, this seems to be a Windows only solution presented.

Anyone using doubleTwist?

Journeyman

dphazelwood wrote:

Well ... for one I am on a Mac - can't use Windows Media Player.

Although, this seems to be a Windows only solution presented.

Anyone using doubleTwist?

I use double twist...it's a little clunky but it works.

When I first got it I thought it would strip out the DRM and let me play all of my music and videos...it doesn't. Only non protected files will transfer.

Journeyman

Excellent reason!

Journeyman

I've used iTunes for a long time and have an iPod Touch. I tried to use Windows Media Player, but had massive issues with songs not displaying properly, e.g. unknown artists, unknown albums, missing artwork. I guess since I used iTunes for so long, WMP doesn't work well with some of my files. Though, most of my problems showed up after sync. After setting up iTunes I only had a few issues that I quickly resolved. I guess different solutions are for different people.

Please tell me someone on these forums thinks this is useful. I thought it was the best solution ever. I tried double twist, but I didn't like something. Can't remember what it was, but it was enough for me to uninstall it. Glad some people like it.

Journeyman

I'm using DoubleTwist. Works as advertised.

Highlighted
Journeyman

iTunes on PCs automatically makes a copy of everything either purchased or ripped into it in AAC format. These files are drag and droppable. Sync your Hero and mount it to your PC and drag them over to your music folder and you're done. Really. I don't use any 3d party software applications, but I have heard good things about DoubleTwist, although I've never used it.

Also, if you're syncing music to your Hero using Windows Media Player, to get album art to display, you need to make sure that every track of the album has the album art embedded into it. If you copy the image you want to serve as your album art, paste it into Windows Media Player where the album cover icon is and it will embed all the album tracks with that cover art. Also, you could go into each track to make sure it worked properly by selecting the track, right clicking it, and going to Advanced Tag Editor. There are several tabs and one will take you to cover art. Modify as needed.

Also, another suggestion is to just sync only AAC and MP3 tracks to your Hero. It's just easier that way. While it does support a variety of formats, MP3s & AAC formatted music files are easier and more hassle free to sync. You can rip albums into WMP into MP3 format everytime your rip an album by adjusting the format you want the player to encode your music into in options. You're more likely to sync your music with the proper information and with album art more often if it's in MP3 format, at least in my experience. Also to get the album track numbers, artist name, composers, and track names to sync correctly, make sure you're ripping your music on a computer connected to the 'net.

Message was edited by: Will.I.Am82

Journeyman

Ok its been a long time. Before I got my Zune HD, I tried DoubleTwist again. Found out, the issue was with iTunes breaking a lot of my song's data. This is also why Media Player hated my music. I went through all my music and use mp3tag to fix all my data tags manually. After doing that, I moved all my music to its own folders outside of iTunes. I never use iTunes anymore, but keep a copy of stuff for my old iTouch. Now I use Zune and everything is still working between Zune, WMP, and DT.

Journeyman

Always good to see options but seriously, the sooner people get rid of the clusterfark that is iTunes the better.  It's a barely passable media manager and really only exists as a way to bundle their music store into your media player.

The beauty of Android (or WebOS or WM for that matter) is that you aren't forced to "sync" everything.  You can just drag folders of songs into your music folder.  So much easier and less roundabout.  No need for bloated glorified shopping carts.  If you can't get past the whole sync paradigm, just use doubeTwist.  At least it's device neutral and doesn't try to lock you into any brand's ecosystem.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat