cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye Instinct... Hello HTC Hero!

Journeyman

Goodbye Instinct... Hello HTC Hero!

I don't know about you guys, but I feel we've all been more than patient here.  We've all "believed", worked hard for/with sprint, contributed bug reports til our fingers bled, felt betrayed when they took away CNN on our TV, pled with them to fix the volume issue in Pandora, wondered why they won't ever make it mac sync capable, exchanged our instinct for new ones, and overall really really wanted the phone to live up to the potential greatness it could have been...

Well...  I don't see it happening...

So I'm moving on to the HTC Hero as soon as it is available...

I'm feeling that because Google is in charge here, (of the Android OS...) that our experience and app availability will be much more joyous...

So it is with a heavy heart I will be bidding the Instinct forums a fond farewell as soon as I get my hands on the Hero...

SO WHO'S WITH ME!!!!????

49 REPLIES 49
Journeyman

Re: Goodbye Instinct... Hello HTC Hero!

Like you I have practically given up on expecting any meaningful improvements to the original Instincts, other than some minor tweaks and fixes in maintenance releases.

Rather than staying on the futile warpath to demand changes to my Instinct, I have turned my attention to  new handsets coming out (or rumored to be coming out) in the remaining months of 2009.

But if there is something I have learned from my year with the Instinct, it is:

• Don't commit to anything before it is released.
  • Wait a  while to see how all new devices shake out.

Before the Palm Pre was released, I felt sure I was sold on it, but since its release  have  determined that the Pre is not for me.  Now I am very excited about the HTC Hero, and the Samsung Instinct S50 and InstinctQ M900 (the M900 is rumored to be Android), but my stance is "wait and see, and consider carefully."

Bottom line, I don't have the resources to be a guinea pig beta team member for Sprint's next experiment.  In the long term, I do think Android is the best OS approach, as an alternative to the iPhone; for my first Android phone I'm personally more upbeat about the Samsung family, because I am intrigued by their emergent AMOLED touchscreen technology.

Journeyman

agreed, been with you since the Sprint Hero info was leaked. like you drdrr, I will concider the possibilities of the upcoming Samsungs, but I have to admit that the Instinct has left a bad "Samsung" taste in my mouth. I think I'm ready to move on from Samsung, no matter what new technologies they are using

Message was edited by: troyboytn

Journeyman

troyboytn wrote:

(snip) "...I will concider the possibilities of the upcoming Samsungs, but I have to admit that the Instinct has left a bad "Samsung" taste in my mouth..."

I agree with you on that troyboytn!  Not completely sure  how much of the blame for the Instinct's shortcomings should be directed at Samsung...but it's like buying a car that's a lemon, the next time around you want a different make.

The Instinct was misleadingly overhyped (it never had the horsepower under the hood to really be an "iPhone killer").  I blame Sprint for that, and for rushing it to market with a lot of bugs.  And also for being slow to address obvious problems and tone deaf when it came to adopting user-requested enhancements, even simple ones.

So in total, I would say that the Instinct has left a bad "Sprint" taste in my mouth.  But I've been with Sprint/Nextel for almost ten years and would like to give the NOW Network another chance.  If the Hero turns out to be our Hero, then I will jump on it...but not immediately after it is released.

Journeyman

I agree with both drdrr and troyboytn, and I will be one of those 'wait and see' the results first before I pounce.  I've been watching all of the Brits overseas postings about their Hero, and their biggest gripe is that it is laggy.  All I will say about laggyness of the European Hero from what I have viewed on YouTube is that their Hero is truly lightning fast compared to my Samsung Instinct.  But still, I hope HTC and Sprint are listening to our fellow overseas customers to ensure the CDMA version does not have this issue.  Still, Sprint Instinct buyer beware no matter how hyped the Sprint marketing or how shinny the HTC Hero with Google-Android is when it comes to Sprint!  I am pretty secure about its arrival on Sprint since I actually hit the HTC Hero (Sprint) support page before HTC started redirecting it.

BUT, my big want is that the Android phones do have an HTML capable email application! 

Also, as long as the Sprint HTC Hero does four (4) things that the (OMG I can't believe I'm going to say this BUT) Instinct does do, I'll be sold.  Although, I might be preparing for an Android phone never the less because I've spent the last few days getting my Google account all revved up, and raring to go with contacts imports, calendar sync, and documents.

AND hopefully, we won't have to worry about Google apps being pulled from the Android market-place. Yep, it looks like Google Voice is available on Android (he, he) BUT, I'm not to sure why that other iPhone killer, supposedly called the iPhone3GS, doesn't have Google Voice...

Here are a couple of sites I'm watching;

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=508

http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/

And, I should mention to check out Google's support forums since their are a lot of postings about the Hero there too.  Just Google: "htc hero" site:google.com

Journeyman

All I will say is "hummm", I wander what Sprint or HTC insider information this New York based business knows?  Do we really need accessories for the 'HTC Hero Sprint Phone' when HTC and Sprint have not put anything completely official in news print statements as of yet???  Well, I guess this is just another Sprint destined HTC Hero 'teaser'!

http://www.1800mobiles.com/htc-hero-accessories.html

Wizard

I agree 100% with drdrr.  I waited on the Pre and thankfully so.  I might not be able to wait on an Android phone too long though, once it actually hits.  I won't be preordering, as I have said in the past, but I will guarantee that I will be in the store on Day 1 to play with its functions.  The mythological Instinct Q M900 (Samsung Q) will be Android, AMOLED, flash, better camera, etc....probably not too different from the Samsung I7500.  I do hope that it has VVM, Sprint Nav (or the like), voice search and commands...all of the things I have learned I can't live without.  All of those things have current Android apps for them, but VVM requires server side support from Sprint.  The Hero looks good, but I am not a fan of that 15 degree curve and it is still LCD.  Won't sit well in the pocket, I feel.  I am a believer in Samsung technologies, especially their LEDs, it was Sprint that screwed the pooch on the Instinct.

The Android apps will pile up by the thousands once more handsets appear on the market, so those HTML email functions will be covered I would assume rather quickly.

Journeyman

Honestly, at this stage of the game, I don't blame anyone from abandoning the Instinct ship for better pastures. I too will be adopting a wait and see approach to the cell phone landscape. I think I am going to be pickier since my contract doesn't expire until February 2011. Hopefully by then, we'll have longer life batteries, wi-fi in most phones, much better browsers, and cheaper contracts. I'm also hoping that congressional action in the cell phone space will also change things for the better. So I'm going to play the ultimate wait and see.

Journeyman

I'm also glad I waited on the Pre.  WebOS is a great idea and has been implemented well, but I am not a huge fan of the hardware and inability for 3D graphics.  I am really looking forward to the Hero, but I do share concern with my fellow Instinct owners that Sprint will screw it up like they did the instinct.  Did anyone else notice that the only update there has been on the instinct recently was to add advertisements to the news and weather application?  I'm glad sprint can find the time to earn more money by advertising on a product they got people to commit to when they themselves were not planning on committing to maintaining.  I have seen some supposed leaked renderings of the sprint version of the hero and am worried they are already heading down the same path.  These renderings seem to be missing the trackball.  I also am wondering how Dan Hesse could ever have the audacity to say that Android is not good enough for Sprint.  Apparently BREW (the instinct's operating system) was good enough and it isn't half as stable.

mmark27 wrote:

The Android apps will pile up by the thousands once more handsets appear on the market, so those HTML email functions will be covered I would assume rather quickly.

HTML e-mail is already supported by HTC's email application.  Many of the reviewers of the European version have praised the HTC mail app because they say that the default android app has a lot to be desired.  Coming from the instinct where we had to wait 8 months to get a simple instant messaging application, I cannot wait to have a plethora of applications to choose from, although I am worried sprint may lock some of this down.  I am also worried that Sprint's bureaucracy will get in the way of HTC or Google updates.  I will wait and see when they are all out and I can make a good decision and hopefully not regret it as much as I have the instinct.

jaogomez721 wrote:

I think I am going to be pickier since my contract doesn't expire until February 2011.

You might want to double check once you hit the one year mark.  I just did and they said that I am eligable for a full upgrade with a new 2 yr, which starts the day you upgrade, so really its only a 1 yr extension.  Maybe they don't want to force you into 2 yrs with a phone that was discontinued in less than 1.

Journeyman

Well, it's really getting fun following this HTC Hero silence.  I've seen some so called Sprint employees post that they see an 'HTC Hero Support' Group listed on their Sprint corporate Exchange email server's Global Address List (GAL).

Also, some guy on another message board made me laugh with his quick wit since he had this idea for poking fun at ATT/Apple;

"So, you want a app for Google Voice, we have an app for that!"  Available on the HTC Hero on the country's NOW network from Sprint...

Journeyman

I really believe the Hero could be a much better competitor for the iphone than the Pre. WebOS is great but that God aweful keyboard ruins the Pre for alot of people.

Wizard

Yeah, I have been watching a ton of Hero video reviews.  It does look like the phone that Android was waiting for, not that clunky G1 or even the Mytouch3G.  Their widgets and 7 different home screens, plus aforementioned email application, etc. really give it a chance to accel.  I do wish that it had an AMOLED screen instead of LCD for battery saving power, but it has flash.  It seems to flow really well.  I will be in Belguim next month and will definitely be popping into a store to play with a Hero first hand.  I think the Hero has a chance to reach millions of subscribers through Sprint and other networks so it will really start to give the iphone a run for its money.

Has anyone seen a review on cut and paste for the Hero?  I can't seem to find one. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat