cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Sync outage and Ringtones

Highlighted
Journeyman

Google Sync outage and Ringtones

I am a new user to Android, and got my HTC Hero with 2.1 already installed on the phone. I didn't have any issues with the device until July 10th. At that time the google sync became intermittent for contacts, and calendar, but has completely stopped working for gmail. I have been back to the store, and was told that its just an issue with Google. Is there any source to find out if there really is a outage or if its a problem with the device and I should reset it and start anew? Is anyone else having an issue with this?

This isn't really an problem, but would just like to know why when I set a ringtone for a specific contact, the phone will only use the default ringtone? Is there a work-around for this?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Google Sync outage and Ringtones

I am not having any problems with gmail syncing. Just curious if you have gone to Menu>Settings>Accounts & sync: Are background data and Auto-sync checked? Also, under Manage Accounts (in the Accounts & sync) choose Google: is Sync Gmail and Contacts checked?

As far as ringtone assignment, I do know that others had problems especially after downloading a ringtone app (I like Zedge and Mabilo Sounds - free in the Market). If this is your case, I suggest power down and remove battery for a minute or so. Then assign ringtones. I know there are many that complain about having to power down and remove battery but the bottom line is that often you need to shut down computers, etc after installs so......

I also power down and remove the battery every so often to just reset the phone especially if I notice an increase in lagging.

I still love my Hero.

Message was edited by: conradmr1

Journeyman

Re: Google Sync outage and Ringtones

>> I am not having any problems with gmail syncing.

Conradmr1, not knowing where you are located, all I can say is that there was a reported outtage in the North East at the time I posted the original message.

This was confirmed (finally) by an advance tech support representative.

>>Just curious if you  have gone to Menu>Settings>Accounts & sync: Are background  data and Auto-sync checked? Also, under Manage Accounts (in the Accounts  & sync) choose Google: is Sync Gmail and Contacts checked?

Yes, I followed all logical settings, and even some that I thought might work, but really did nothing. Again, this was an outtage by Google's servers so no amount of alterations to settings worked.

>>As  far as ringtone assignment, I do know that others had problems  especially after downloading a ringtone app (I like Zedge and Mabilo  Sounds - free in the Market). If this is your case, I suggest power down  and remove battery for a minute or so. Then assign ringtones. I know  there are many that complain about having to power down and remove  battery but the bottom line is that often you need to shut down  computers, etc after installs so......

I found that downloading ringtone apps are kind of a waste (even if they are free) I found a quick and simple solution. If you connect your phone to your computer, set its connection as a hard-drive. Then access the SD card, and in the root just create a folder called ringtones, put in the files you want to use as ringtones, and viola! Once you disconnect the phone from the computer, the new ringtones you added are added to the list that are on the phone. This method also works for adding custom wallpaper, and notifications.

The original issue I had was actually getting ringtone assignments to hold with the selected contacts.... this seemed to resolve itself, which is good.

>>I also power down and remove the battery every so often to just reset the phone especially if I notice an increase in lagging.

I do this as well, and as far as the whole situation with the Google outage, it turns out that the outtage put my phone in a loop that couldn't be broken by pulling the battery. The tech that was helping me, finally decided that the only thing that could be done was a hard reset. I have heard horror stories about this, but mine was fairly easy. I do backup my contacts periodically to my SD card just in case, and fortunately the market keeps track of the apps you had previously downloaded, so getting those back was pretty easy.

>>I still love my Hero...

After getting these issues fixed... I too love my Hero

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat