cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HERO 2.1 and Google Voice - better/worse??

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

HERO 2.1 and Google Voice - better/worse??

It seems like it takes just as long, if not longer, to make a call with Google voice? I was hoping the update would make the HERO faster, but I think it is just under-powered?

DO you think Sprint will give us HERO owners the ability to get a discounted EVO? Like $99 instead of $199.....

Message was edited by: mjeanfreau

Tags (3)
10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

Re: HERO 2.1 and Google Voice - better/worse??

No they won't. First of all, the 200 is for new or upgrades. If anything, they would give a discount off the 450 retail price. Second, no one is entitled to a new phone just because its not as fast and shiny as the newest one. You bought the Hero and should have known how it would perform. Anything done outside of what it initially was capable of is extra and NOT an entitlement. Upgrading you to the Evo for virtually nothing would be ridiculous. That's like saying your Rant doesn't have as good of a keyboard as the Rant 2, and you want a new phone before your contract is out. (removed name calling) We aren't entitled to the newest phone because we don't all of the sudden like our current one.

Message was edited by: IzzyKS - be nice and refrain from name calling thanks.

Journeyman

Have you noticed if the HERO 2.1 update works better or worse with Google Voice?

Journeyman

I've been running custom 2.1 Roms for over a month now, I believe I saw an improvement originally, but it could be the customizations. The app worked with 1.5, so there probably isn't a great difference. 2.1 brought new features and a few optimizations, but wasn't a mind blowing difference in speed. 2.2 is a huge speed increase, but it may be a while before we start seeing that.

Journeyman

superlinkx wrote:

[...snip...]

You bought the Hero and should have known how it would perform. Anything done outside of what it initially was capable of is extra and NOT an entitlement.

[...snip..

We aren't entitled to the newest phone because we don't all of the sudden like our current one.

I would expect the Hero to at least lived up to the touted ability to be a phone, that means first and foremost being able to make AND receive calls reliably.

Sprint just swapped my phone again and thankfully it came with 1.5 on it which although not great, it was a little but not much more reliable at receiving calls.

Problem with using Google voice is that when it forwards the call to your phone it only rings 4 times before going to voice mail, guess what, with the ring lag the first 3 rings are lost because the Hero lags so badly so answer a Google voice call is a hit or miss proposition.

Journeyman

I agree with you, aztec251ea, and disagree with superlinkx...

The CNET ratings on HERO, which Sprint touted, mentioned a "slight" lag but that was never really defined.....I wish there were a more sophisticated rating system out there to truly represent mobile performance....actually, not only mobiles, but also mobile software........first and foremost, I want to be able to use the phone.....and not have a device or software on it that limits that performance.....

Message was edited by: IzzyKS - please refrainn from name calling - thank you.

Journeyman

@mjeanfreau What's up with the hate? My opinion is just as important as yours. You only discredit yourself by calling names. Talk about immature...

Anyways, point is, its not Sprint's fault that you chose to stick with a phone you don't like. If it doesn't work the way you expected it to, you had to option to return it within 30 days. That being said, Sprint and HTC do owe us all bug fixes to help a lot of these issues. I'm just saying, you can't expect them to upgrade you to an Evo just because you don't like your phone. I'm guessing that's what you disagree with me on, since my other post was saying how I couldn't give a definitive answer, due to running 2.1 for quite some time and having my own set of fixes. 2.1 only brought marginal speed enhancements, and was mostly meant to fix some OS things and bring some much needed enhancements. I agree the phone should be able to make and receive calls, texts, etc, but I have rarely had a problem, except when I hack too much and have to start over. I'd love to debate this more, but I have to go to work soon. Please, if you have constructive criticism, I'm more than happy to discuss things in a civilized manner. See ya around, and try to lighten up a bit.

Journeyman

superlinkx -

"...you want a new phone before your contract is out. Very childish and stupid."

Calling people names is evidently not limited to the person you are replying to. In the future, you might hesitate to call the kettle black. Better yet, you might hold the name-calling in the first place.

Journeyman

Hmmm... I can see where that wasn't very nice and I'll admit I should have chosen better words. However, I fail to see how I was calling names. Pretty sure that says that the idea that Sprint owes anyone a new phone is childish and stupid. Could be wrong though.

Journeyman

Just wanted to apologize to the OP. I shouldn't have said what I did. That was my problem, and should have thought it out more clearly than attack you for all the crap other people post. Thank you IzzyKS for editing that for me. That is all.

Journeyman

actually i liked my phone just fine until they pushed out a flawed upgrade to it.  and this after months and months and months of waiting.  i dunno they probably should have been able to make sure it works at a minimum for making and receiving calls, not to mention the plethora of other problems that came along with 2.1...  i am on my second hero, which has the same problems as the last one...  i'm afraid i am pretty much done with sprint.  i can't upgrade until december and at this point it's looking like the new iphone...

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat